KxBurns
0 Kudos

Re: Are you ready? Tell your friends

Hi all! I just wanted to clarify - because I fear I misstated this earlier - that the books are going out the week of September 17th.

Now, I notice that over on the Welcome! board, in response to Lauren Groff's comments, some of you mention you're familiar with the Cooperstown area. Would anyone like to share their impressions of the area with the rest of us?
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

Have all of the notices gone out? I thought that I registered on time but I haven't seen a notice yet. Jo
Contributor
reader99
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I am looking forward to receiving this book and discovering a new writer. I've a lot of catching up to do with my reading. I'm about to finish the last Harry Potter bok now.

Talk with you all later!

Angela

Message Edited by reader99 on 09-11-2007 01:41 PM
Contributor
PatBrown
0 Kudos

I can hardly wait to receive my book. I e-mailed a lot of my friends but by the time they got the e-mail (which was a very short time after I signed in), the club was full! So, that's a good thing for BN. I am looking forward to reading and discussing this book.

Thank you. Pat Brown
Contributor
ejohaneman
0 Kudos

Yeah.... I made the cutoff. I am really excited that I made it in and can't wait to get it.
I have noticed that many others miss the old B&N ME TOO. It was great and I enjoyed the classes I was able to be a part of.
This first look promises to be exciting as well. It will be what we make it as a group so lets jump in and get our feet wet. Will be looking forward to the interaction.
Elaine
Contributor
mimi2980
0 Kudos

I can't believe it! I already got my book! I'm here in the Philippines and I got my book on the afternoon of the 17th (that would be 16th in the US)! I haven't had time to read it yet though becuase UPS caught me when I was just on my way out to go to work. I'm so excited to ready it and discuss the book with you guys!
Contributor
reader99
0 Kudos

Where is the book?

[ Edited ]
If the book has reached the Phillipines, how far can it be from New Jersey??? I'm looking forward to participating in this forum, my first time...

Message Edited by reader99 on 09-17-2007 09:10 AM
Contributor
reader99
0 Kudos

I keep reading this again and agaian and finally I'm tempted to ask...what do you mean by the Old B&N?

Thanks
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Where is the book?

reader99 wrote:
If the book has reached the Phillipines, how far can it be from New Jersey??? I'm looking forward to participating in this forum, my first time...

Message Edited by reader99 on 09-17-2007 09:10 AM

NJ! About as far away as California! :smileyvery-happy:

Kathy S.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

reader99 wrote:
I keep reading this again and agaian and finally I'm tempted to ask...what do you mean by the Old B&N?

Thanks

Angela,
The *old* B and NU was the previous format (book discussions) used by Barnes and Nobles.com, up until last October. That's when they changed to how your viewing it now. Some of us are from that old *era*. It was more of a structured classroom situation, rather than a book club-open forum.
Hope this answers your question.

Kathy S.

Message Edited by KathyS on 09-17-2007 07:05 AM
Contributor
Luminalfire5
0 Kudos

I just got my book and am excited to get started! Looks good!
Frequent Contributor
sparklingblue33
0 Kudos

You lucky duck!!! I am so jealous....I hope mine comes soon!!

mimi2980 wrote:
I can't believe it! I already got my book! I'm here in the Philippines and I got my book on the afternoon of the 17th (that would be 16th in the US)! I haven't had time to read it yet though becuase UPS caught me when I was just on my way out to go to work. I'm so excited to ready it and discuss the book with you guys!

Frequent Contributor
sparklingblue33
0 Kudos

BNU

Hi there. To answer your question B&N used to have a "university". People were able to sign up for classes which were led by an instructor. The course was very much like an online college class. The new B&N book club is very different...it has taken time for us to get used to the new set up and the First Look Selections are so exciting to me becuase it has an old feel to it!! ; )

Jess

reader99 wrote:

Thanks

Contributor
speedhaven
0 Kudos

I just got my copy in the mail today and I can't wait to get started! I love to read and have a blog about my personal goal of reading 52 books this year. I am so glad that Barnes and Noble is providing this service.
Reader 2
bairbre
0 Kudos

Hi all,
I got my copy of the book today, as well, and I'm over in Europe, so I guess everyone should have their books soon... right?
I didn't think about it for the past few days, and so it was nice to see that parcel leaning on my door this evening, when I got back from work.

First impression (after a brief first look): I like the cover, I especially like the rough look of the pages (which of course will be lost to all those "normal" readers), and I'm going to start reading it tonight (I'm like 6 hours ahead of New York).

Great to see that there are a few who remember the "old" book clubs, I only managed to take part in one of them, but I also took part in a few classes, and I've met a couple of great people through them!

I think someone mentioned that she/he likes to read new authors to further her/his own writing, and I hope there are a few more people who not only like to read but do write as well. This is also a great opportunity to learn something about the whole business of publishing, I guess.

Right, gotta go, will return, enjoy the read,
Barbara
Frequent Contributor
martini72
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone!

I also just received my copy of the book and I cannot wait to start it...

Happy Reading!!!
Frequent Contributor
CathieS
0 Kudos

Hi,
After reading chapter 1 this morning I couldn't wait to get my book to continue reading the story. I was delightfully surprised when I got home from work and my copy was waiting for me. I'm in Massachusetts.

Cathie
Frequent Contributor
flyjo9
0 Kudos

Hi, everybody, I just received my copy today and have started reading. Brought to mind that I had been in a book club with the old B&N University and had a wonderful time with a book by Cooper. I was afraid Lauren Groff 9in the Author's Note) was maligning him when she said that she had "as much of his work AS i could stomach." But it seems I was prejudging, LOL, and am looking forward to how the book will evolve and how much of the history will intertwine with Cooper's work, if it does at all. I am already sst to love her mother, having been a similar kind of mother, I think Of course, time will tell. Joan
Frequent Contributor
Aunt_Beth_64
0 Kudos

My boor also arrived today (I am in Virginia) the cover art is beautiful (enticing) I can't wait to begin reading.

Beth
Inspired Contributor
ABH47
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!
I got my book today too!
I have started reading and am really liking these beginning chapters!
Since, in her Author's note at the beginning of the book, Laura writes,"...one cannot write about Cooperstown without writing about Fenimore Cooper", and since
I am not familiar at all with the writings of James Fenimore Cooper or the town of Cooperstown, I'm kind of hoping this does not mean I will miss some subtleties in the text of the novel! Guess that's just another mystery that will hopefull resolve along with all the other ones of this novel.
I am very pleased to be part of this group and look forward to many interesting discussions!
Happy reading to all!
Users Online
Currently online:48 members 574 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: