Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
maude40
0 Kudos

Re: DISCUSSION: Chapters One Through Five

Could one of the Running Buds be willie's father? "We know of the affairs, we know of the desires, we know what we know, and we will never tell." Yvonne
Reader 2
cjwedding
0 Kudos

maude40 wrote:
Could one of the Running Buds be willie's father? "We know of the affairs, we know of the desires, we know what we know, and we will never tell." Yvonne

I was thinking the same thing about one of the Running Buds being the father. Maybe Sol Falconer???? Just seemed odd about him throwing her tenth birthday party and having it catered. Plus, he has a history with the women it seems. It just gave me a hunch possibly. We shall see though......
Frequent Contributor
Kimmi373
0 Kudos

cjwedding wrote:

maude40 wrote:

I was thinking the same thing about one of the Running Buds being the father. Maybe Sol Falconer???? Just seemed odd about him throwing her tenth birthday party and having it catered. Plus, he has a history with the women it seems. It just gave me a hunch possibly. We shall see though......

I thought the same thing about Sol but Vi says about Willie's father that"...he has a family of his own" (page 41). Sol seems to be alone.
I don’t want realism. I want magic!
~ Tennessee Williams, "A Streetcar Named Desire"
New User
FaerieKissed
0 Kudos

Perhaps some of the conflict between Vi and Willie is from their similarities. Both seem to have been intent on differentiating themselves from their parents--and in the process repeating their own parents' mistakes.

I, too, noted the reactions to the monsters and compared the experiences of those who actually touched it. What about the monster made people transport back to their childhoods? Willie felt cold, but the Running Buds felt sun. Both experienced dizziness and vertigo. I'm interested to find out more about the monster.

Also, the Running Buds seemed to be more of a collective character than individuals. Who is speaking in chapter 4? It's all "we".
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

WintermuteNight wrote:
As I am reading these chapters, I find myself more interested in the character of Vi then Willie for some reason. Does anyone else find themselves drawn more to her then to Willie at this point?

Also, I like the parallel of the surfacing monster and the return of Willie to Templeton. The monster is becoming a major media event that is engulfing the whole town, while Willie's return may be considered minor, but I have the feeling both will irrevocably change the nature of Templeton.

I, too, am wondering of the roll of the ghost. Her actions against the boy Willie snuck up to the room is surprising. It makes me ponder the following question: what gender is the ghost? Is it feminine, and looks over Willie as a mother like figure trying to keep a daughter on the right path? Or is it masculine and feels the need to ward over Willie? And why does Vi see it as a dove, while Willie only sees it as colors? Is Vi more connected to the spiritual realms then her daughter? This is one aspect I hope is developed as I read more of the book.

And as for the Running Buds, I wonder what their expanded roles will be in the future of the book, aside from what could be a living library of information about the town itself.

Anyway, back to the book to see where this goes. Thank the gods for three day weekends.

I am drawn to Vi as well, Neil. Maybe it is because we know more about Willie's life than Vi's, or maybe it is Vi's age. I think Vi holds lots of keys in this book, and I can't wait to see what they might be.
DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
Bayles
0 Kudos

As I said in the first impressions thread, I wasn't all that enthralled by the beginning of the book. It looks like the plot could go in several directions - grad student pregnant by her advisor, getting screwed again by the university system; child of a druggie trying to grow up, ghost story solved by researching family background.

So far, I don't see what the runners group or the monster have to do with anything.
Frequent Contributor
flyjo9
0 Kudos

maude40 wrote:

That thought ran through my mind as well. They seem to know some secret, perhaps, about Willie. They have been like good, concerned fathers - supportive, encouraging and advocating for her. Reading on will reveal, I hope. Joan
Inspired Contributor
Popper19
0 Kudos

Kathy wrote:
Well if I were Willie, I'd be royally pissed. You can't tell someone that her fathers were not who she thought they were and that she might actually know the real one and then just not tell her. Why tell her at all?

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I'm surprised Willie wasn't more upset. I think she wasn't more upset because she's used to the way Vi handles things and how Vi has made her "work" for knowledge before (the pronunciation cracker incident). If it were me I wouldn't have been able to handle just researching it myself, but I'm not an archeologist and into history the way Willie is. I would have probably pouted and begged to know!
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Town's fear of Vivienne- Death of parents -

During Vi's discussion with the lawyer, Chauncey Todd, (who can't seem to make eye contact!).... I have the distinct feeling that there is a fear that this town harbors, upon Vi's return. A nervousness. What are they so afraid of? Are there secrets that they're wanting to keep, and afraid she's going to reveal?

Chauncey has to make an effort to be nice to Vi, and shows disdain when he see the *young male joggers*. I feel his disdain for Vi. I'm not crazy about this guy, one bit.

The references to Vi's parents' death, as *not* being an accident. This interests me.

Was the death of Vi's parents an accident? Was it suicide? Was it murder?
Is this what the town is wanting to stay hidden? Is this a collective secret?
Just speculation.

Kathy S.
KathyS
0 Kudos

Vi's Religious Ferver - P. 27

This paragraph, told to us by Willie, implies this religious ferver of Vi's.

-------soothing the last days of the hopeless cases with a depth of gentleness that I rarely saw from her but knew was in there, somewhere."
I feel Willie's feels her mother's depth, and longing for her mother's love, here.

------she awoke some days grateful that she ever survived the 1970's. On others, she felt as if she had wasted everything; she had always poured so much of herself into me that she was afraid there was none left for her anymore.
Was Willie's guilt showing to us?

------When she began her long walk toward Jesus, she prayed hours upon hours of fervent prayer trying to protect me from the terrible pitfalls she saw on my path.
Vi seemed to know what was ahead for Willie, before it even happened. A premonition?

-----She sat at the kitchen table, head bent, trying to will me into success, deep into the night. She imprecated, she begged. At some point the prayer clicked, and she understood such a wispy thing as faith.
Had Willie heard her prayers? Had she needed them at that moment?

Kathy S.
KathyS
0 Kudos

Running Buds - Chapter 4

Karen, I had those same feelings when I read this chapter. The motion doesn't stop.

Lauren's words [we] spoke this:
We run; we like to run; we have run together for twenty-nice years now; we will run until we can run no more

This whole chapter was both revealing and powerful. Each of these men giving us bits of their lives.
Why run? What is this shared cohesiveness?
-----the Running Buds, are together, moving, we behold this as we have beheld it for twenty-nine summers, twenty-nine winters, twenty-nine springs and falls.

----It was as if a dear and secret part of us had disappeared, as if we saw our own old age, and we were alone on a dock, in a camping chair, fishing, stiff and unable to move, there, in the fog, alone.

What happened twenty-nine years ago to prompt these me to run?
I still think they have a collective secret, other than a mere companionship. The emotions when this monster appears....it was incredible. But they felt the warmth of the sun - Interesting! It was almost like a feeling of freedom they felt at that moment. A release of feelings, so overwhelming they couldn't contain it. It felt like a love you feel when you can't hold it in any longer. It brings you to tears.

Something else I was thinking about. The title of the book, itself. Refers to "Monsters of Templeton"....Plural! More than one monster! Reference to the people of this town, I assume?

I think I've asked more questions, so far, than I've answered! :smileyhappy:

Kathy S.
Contributor
WintermuteNight
0 Kudos

Re: Running Buds - Chapter 4

[ Edited ]

KathyS wrote:

Something else I was thinking about. The title of the book, itself. Refers to "Monsters of Templeton"....Plural! More than one monster! Reference to the people of this town, I assume?

Well, don't forget we have two supernatural elements in play so far: Glimmey, the lake monster, and the ghosts at the cottage. And does anyone else find it interesting that one of the authors that is quoted on the back of the book is Stephen King? And the fact he particularly mentions a similarity to Ray Bradbury stories? Makes you wonder where this story is going to twist in the coming chapters.

Message Edited by WintermuteNight on 09-23-2007 12:49 AM
I do not like being a congenital pain in the ass.
But I will take money for it.

-Neil Stephenson 'Zodiac'
KathyS
0 Kudos

Monsters/Ghosts!

WintermuteNight wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Well, don't forget we have two supernatural elements in play so far: Glimmey, the lake monster, and the ghosts at the cottage. And does anyone else find it interesting that one of the authors that is quoted on the back of the book is Stephen King? And the fact he particularly mentions a similarity to Ray Bradbury stories? Makes you wonder where this story is going to twist in the coming chapters.

Message Edited by WintermuteNight on 09-23-2007 12:49 AM

Thanks for reminding me about the ghost! I just finished reading chapter 5 last night! Yikes. I'm glad Willie was comfortable with her *friend's* visit-ation, but I don't think I could be that calm. I guess if you grew up with the thing in your bedroom, it'd be like having a room mate! Now I know why the Stephen King blurb. More to wonder about as I read further! I'm not normally a fan of ghost-writers :smileyhappy:
But I'm hooked now, what can I say?

Kathy S.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Kathy wrote:
Well if I were Willie, I'd be royally pissed. You can't tell someone that her fathers were not who she thought they were and that she might actually know the real one and then just not tell her. Why tell her at all?

I believed the man who raised me and whose name was on my birth certificate was my real father until my mother had left him and told me when I was 15. I WAS royally P***! Not that it wasnt the man who raised us all, I was glad of that actually and not at my mother for having an affair. I was mad because she waited so long to tell me BUT my older sister knew, the man knew, the man who raised me knew, MY stupid sister in law of 2 weeks (thats all their marriage lasted LOL) knew! I said whhyy did so many people know before me? Its not right that they know and I didnt! It would have answered soooo many questions. She said well, I would see you watch tv and someone would have an affair or something and I would ask you what you thought about that and you would say oh thats bad, thats horrible and so I didn't dare tell you. I said..ahem, mom, I may have been a kid but I wasn't STUPID! What kid is going to tell their mom, oh yeah,thats really cool that they are committing adultery, I may try that some time! LOLOL . I said I wasnt judging them in case SOMEHOW my mom may need to tell me she did the same. I said I was covering my butt as any kid would in case you were trying to figure out what I may be up to or may be getting to an age of thinking about. SO silly now lol. And btw, she did give me his name, it wasnt someone I knew, He lived in another state but I found him within a year and he had been looking for me! :smileyhappy: So, there was a happy ending in that sense lol.

Vi, to me in these first few chapters, has got some agenda of her own to tell her daughter that but NOT tell her his name. But I think she knows how smart her girl is and will find out who it is, but seems a cruel way to go about it. Something is up with that.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Kourt wrote:
Wintermutenight, I agree with you. I am finding Vi's life so interesting in these chapters. Willie is interesting in her own way but I still want to know why Vi does what she does. What makes her tick persay.

I think Vi knows that deep down the researcher in Willie will find out the truth to who her biological father is. I wonder if it all is a little game that Vi likes playing with Willie. It sound like the day Willie had a hard time with pronunciation of a word and Vi ate the crackers and honey and peanut butter in front of Willie.

Just speculation here.

I agree with both of you about Vi being more interesting at this point but she has had a pretty colorful life after all and we really have heard more of it than Willie's in some ways. I think I liked her more when she was the young easy going hippie than this "disappointed, here let me attack you" mode mother tho. Don't you find it interesting that we had a generation of parents who came from the Ozzie and Harriet era, trying to raise good "decent" kids who then became the radicals and hippies with the drugs, sex and communes or no jobs lifestyle, who then became some of our parents trying to raise the Ozzie and Harriet, or at least average, well educated conservatives that they rebelled against! LOL. I have always been fascinated by that. I think each swing back and forth of that pendulum has caused some major friction between mothers and daughters at some time, and does here too.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Town's fear of Vivienne- Death of parents -

KathyS wrote:
During Vi's discussion with the lawyer, Chauncey Todd, (who can't seem to make eye contact!).... I have the distinct feeling that there is a fear that this town harbors, upon Vi's return. A nervousness. What are they so afraid of? Are there secrets that they're wanting to keep, and afraid she's going to reveal?

Chauncey has to make an effort to be nice to Vi, and shows disdain when he see the *young male joggers*. I feel his disdain for Vi. I'm not crazy about this guy, one bit.

Kathy S.

Now here's an ugly thought! If Vi has just told Willie about her father, and that she MAY know him (must mean DOES know him) and if at this early point of the book (I musta missed this Sol guy, or not there yet) if we as readers find out this soon she has a father shes going to hunt for who she probably knows and maybe we have been "introduced" to him too already.....what if its the lawyer Chauncy Todd! ROFL. Hey, Vi was young, slept with all kinds of men, he was a lawyer she could have needed something from and did wave goodbye to him with her left boob, since he seemed so enthralled with them, she knew she could use her bod with him for anything.

LOL, I am sure its probably not him ok lol, but I am saying, wouldnt that be an ugly thought! ewww lol.
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

cbridgedear wrote:

KxBurns wrote:
I am curious to see how this all plays in to the idea of acceptance of one's "sins" and also the idea of atonement that Vi suggests.

Yes, I think just from the book cover, we can expect "sinister and disturbing" sins besides Willie's and Vi's. Additionally, from the back cover, we learn Willie will be digging through her ancestry which I find somewhat prophetic, given Vi's thoughts about archeology, "There is nothing left in this world for you to discover, honey. Why look backward when you can look forward?"

Can we really move forward without first, taking a step back?

I like the way you tie the idea of archeology to genealogy in this story. Digging into the past is what both of these are about and who better to do both then Willie. And it is interesting given her mother's statement, you are right.
Vivian
Contributor
SamHouston
0 Kudos

Kathy wrote:

I have to agree with you, but the bit of information that she was given could lead to some interesting plot twists along the way. Willie will be looking at every "appropriate" male in town a lot differently from this point on.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

SamHouston wrote:

Kathy wrote:

I have to agree with you, but the bit of information that she was given could lead to some interesting plot twists along the way. Willie will be looking at every "appropriate" male in town a lot differently from this point on.

Well it should keep her away from the older ones at least huh? :smileywink:
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Hey, just a thought I wanted to mention and havent seen here yet. Does it strike anyone as unusual that everyone takes the monster for granted and ghosts for granted and no one is scared by them or put off by the idea of them? Well not the main characters anyway lol. I did find it humorous that the one boy Willie brought home, the ghost put him off women for LIFE lol. But I mean, its just like they are talking about just the everyday occurrences.
Vivian
Users Online
Currently online: 10 members 437 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: