Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Re: DISCUSSION: Epilogue

Tarri wrote:
I thought the epilogue was great and I agree that Glimmey deserved her own chapter. I also really liked the family trees and how they kept getting updated as the story evolved.

One last comment on the First Look Book Club. I enjoyed the discussions on this book and reading other people's thoughts and opinions on different sections. Thank you to Lauren, the publishers, and B&N for the opportunity. A big thank you to KxBurns (Karen) for the excellent moderation.

Glad you enjoyed the book! Be sure tell your friends about it and help spread the word -- write a review!

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Maria_H wrote:

Tarri wrote:
I thought the epilogue was great and I agree that Glimmey deserved her own chapter. I also really liked the family trees and how they kept getting updated as the story evolved.

One last comment on the First Look Book Club. I enjoyed the discussions on this book and reading other people's thoughts and opinions on different sections. Thank you to Lauren, the publishers, and B&N for the opportunity. A big thank you to KxBurns (Karen) for the excellent moderation.

Glad you enjoyed the book! Be sure tell your friends about it and help spread the word -- write a review!

I did, in fact I recommended the book on another message board with 10,000 members. :-)
Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

Tarri wrote:

I, too, loved the epilogue. It tied everything together with such poetry. The cycle of life continues in Templeton with a new baby Glimmey, and new generations of people to come.

I would also like to thank Lauren, the publishers, Barnes and Noble, and Karen for this wonderful opportunity! The Monsters of Templeton will surely be very successful - it is definitely a wonderful reading experience! Congratulations! :smileyhappy:
Contributor
baby
0 Kudos

Glimmey was such an intricate part of the story. It did not seem it to me at first but by the end I was convinced. I cried when I read the Epilog. It was so Glimmey. When the "baby" monster was introduced my first thought was a sequel! I hope Lauren will consider one! I hadn't thought of Glimmey's death and the secrets, but that is a great thought! Thanks so much for sharing.
~b~
KxBurns
0 Kudos

kmensing wrote:
I was really hoping to get a flash forward of about 10 years to see how the town & characters have progressed. Did Vi & Rev ever marry? Did Sully come home? Who has baby Glimey revealed him/herself to? Did Clarissa go into remission? What becomes of Willie/Sol's relationship? Was the ghost of Hetty put to rest after the revealing of her son's trouble letter revealed? What other secrets did Hazel hold? Did she write a book?

I know people differ on this issue -- I actually prefer it when a story is left slightly open-ended. I thought Lauren gave us an idea of where the characters might be headed, but allowed us to draw our own conclusions as to their fates. But to each his own :smileyhappy:

So much interest in the futures of the characters would definitely indicate that you thought it was a compelling read!

-Karen
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Thank you for this unique opportunity. I greatly enjoyed it and submitted a review a little while ago. Will continue to keep up with discussions with pleasure.
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Reader
asawhill73
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:
I loved the Epilogue. We started the book finding that Glimmey had died and in the end, we found the personality of this "monster." This creature had feelings and thoughts that Lauren brought to us, answering some questions along the way (i.e. missing people, another creature). The tenderness in the Epilogue showed us another "gentle giant," who was feared and revered at the same time. I thought it was a great way to end the book.

I had difficulty relating Glimmey to the rest of the characters in the story. I think maybe the fantasy part threw me off. What I took away from the Epilogue was that in many ways the "monster" had more humanity than many of the humans in the story, particularly Marmaduke and even Willie. The kindness and gentleness of the monster made the behavior of the humans even more atrocious. In many ways, the monster reminds of King Kong, only Glimmey was lucky to have never been captured.
Contributor
shatril
0 Kudos

Glimmey was supposed to be the monster, but when you look at its life you see that he isn't what was refered to as the monsters. It is clear that the monsters were all the direct decendents of the monster Marmaduke, and created by his psychological misuse of people.

Shatril
Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?
~ Henry Ward Beecher ~
Distinguished Correspondent
lmpmn
0 Kudos

Okay, you guys tell me if I'm stretching this too far (I tend to over-analyze)!

It's interesting to me how Glimmey "Old Sad Spirit" as a part of nature or Mother Earth took the bodies of people and cared for them even though most humans disrupt nature and do not appreciate it, like Marmaduke for example.

So Glimmey as a part of nature, a protector of the dead bodies, really has had to die for the secrets of the town to come to light; yet another is reborn. This is the part I'm probably stretching: This rebirth is a bit like the story of Christ--how He took on the sins of man to save humanity from an eternity in hell, but rose again to give life.
Happiness is a warm blanket!
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

asawhill73 wrote:

DSaff wrote:
I loved the Epilogue. We started the book finding that Glimmey had died and in the end, we found the personality of this "monster." This creature had feelings and thoughts that Lauren brought to us, answering some questions along the way (i.e. missing people, another creature). The tenderness in the Epilogue showed us another "gentle giant," who was feared and revered at the same time. I thought it was a great way to end the book.

I had difficulty relating Glimmey to the rest of the characters in the story. I think maybe the fantasy part threw me off. What I took away from the Epilogue was that in many ways the "monster" had more humanity than many of the humans in the story, particularly Marmaduke and even Willie. The kindness and gentleness of the monster made the behavior of the humans even more atrocious. In many ways, the monster reminds of King Kong, only Glimmey was lucky to have never been captured.

I like the comparison to King Kong. I hadn't thought of that.
DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Users Online
Currently online: 36 members 777 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: