KxBurns
0 Kudos

First Impressions?

I know we've kind of been doing this over on the Read the First Chapter board, but I wanted a place where we can all share our general first impressions, without getting too deep into plot specifics, etc..

So far, the thing that stands out most for me about this book is Lauren's really beautiful descriptive writing. This is an author who knows how to make you feel like you're there!

I also love the sense of mythology that we're getting -- both the historical/town mythology and also the personal/family mythology. I'm sure this is something we'll be talking about as we progress through the book.

Also, I recommend that everyone definitely re-read the first chapter when they get the book, even if you've already read it online. The front matter - quotes, note from the author - really do add to the opening chapter.

Okay, now what do you think?
New User
sbrow134
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions?

This is my first book club and I am lucky to be able to read this book.

I agree with your analysis of her descritions to a point. I do enjoy most of them, but after a while it seems almost like the over kill descriptions from "Grapes of Wrath" and its turtle.

On a postive note, Chapter 2 was great.

-Shaun

Also, please let me know if I am supposed to be doing something for this book.

Thanks.
KxBurns
0 Kudos

sbrow134 wrote:
I agree with your analysis of her descritions to a point. I do enjoy most of them, but after a while it seems almost like the over kill descriptions from "Grapes of Wrath" and its turtle.

On a postive note, Chapter 2 was great.

-Shaun

Good point, Shaun. That very descriptive style could become overwhelming. But I think since it alternates with other "voices" and styles in other chapters it works. I also really enjoyed Chapter 2!

Welcome to the Book Club!
Frequent Contributor
penny70
0 Kudos

So far I am really enjoying this. I have found myself making notes on things as to possible foreshadowing, and things that I just want to note. Sometimes her descriptions can be a little overkill, but not so much that I fine myself totally lost (which has happened many times before - I swear there are some books I have read a dozen times in my single reading because I have to reread so much to get it all).

Can't wait to see what happens as I continue. Really wish this was a summer thing so I could read and read and read and not have to go to school and substitute teach; which is really eating up my reading time.

Hugs.
Penny
Frequent Contributor
penny70
0 Kudos

Oh and forgot to say ... and Lauren may really get a kick out of this ... as I said in my last post I am a substitute teacher and have been for the last 3 years. I am a 4 - 9 grade Language Arts and Social Studies teacher w/o an opening in my area and not able to more for family health reasons. Anyway, as I was reading the Author's Note, I immediately thought of a friend of mine that teaches 10th & 12th grade Language Arts and with the one group she is working on turning a non-fiction account (something from their lives) into a fiction story.

Lauren's statements on how this worked for her and in her mind and how it all came together I thought would be such an inspiration to these students who are struggling with how this whole process works.

Hugs,
Penny
Contributor
zonadude
0 Kudos

First I would like to say I was rather surprised when I recieved my copy of the book, as I had missed the cutoff, or so I thought. Then today, I recieved the book, and it was a great surprise.

First impressions: The cover is excellent. Its both mysterious and pretty(??) at the same time. I'm not sure pretty is the perfect word, but it does catch the eye, and sort of invites you to pick the book up.

So, with the shock of actually making the cut, and then the book looking so inviting, I am already loving this!

I have started the book, and will read it chapter by chapter and then come in and see the discussions...I generally read a couple of novels a week, so I will finish this rather quickly...again, I cannot wait to finish this story.

Mike
Frequent Contributor
Krista
0 Kudos

I'm almost done with the book. I have five more chapters to go. I enjoyed it very much and there is a lot to talk about. I liked the "flashback" chapters. It really brought together the story as a whole. You get a perspective from everyone's view.
Contributor
cbridgedear
0 Kudos

Like you, KxBurns, the English teacher in me is enjoying the descriptive writing. The use of figurative language is delightful. "I felt the world around me creak and strain, snapping apart, fiber by fiber, like a rope pulled too tautly," was just one of the first lines of imagery that grabbed my attention. I can feel, hear, and see her words, which to me, enriches the writing and my enjoyment of the author's words.
New User
FaerieKissed
0 Kudos

I got the book yesterday and it was a wonderful surprise! I've only started the first chapter, but I was impressed by the cover art and the way the book drew me in. Many times, I've had difficulty getting into a book by a first time author, but that is not the case here.

I'm very curious how this book will play out. The first chapter doesn't quite match what I was expecting from the book description--so I'm excited to see what else the author has in store for us.
Reader 2
jayfay
0 Kudos

What a nice surprise to find The Monsters of Temptation at my door when I arrived home this evening. I did not think I made the cut. I am excited to begin reading it tonight and will be checking in tomorrow.
Frequent Contributor
flyjo9
0 Kudos

WHen I first started this reading, I was not sure I could maintain my interest-how wrong I was! I am completely involved and love the intertwining of history with the present, althoough I must say I have to shake myself to move from one world to the nect. I am enamored and as said, the author;s desciptive ability is outstanding. Joan
Frequent Contributor
penny70
0 Kudos

cbridgedear wrote:
"I felt the world around me creak and strain, snapping apart, fiber by fiber, like a rope pulled too tautly,"

I too have marked this passage all I could think of as I read this was the ropes around the "monster" and how they too must have creaked and strained as the boats were pulling it to shore.
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

I am excited that I received the book earlier this week. I expect to get into it this week end. From other peoples notes, I expect I won't be able to put it down and will read through it fairly quickly. Thank you BN for this unique opportunity.

MG
Contributor
NickinColoma
0 Kudos

Hi Everybody,

As I open up the book and start to read the first chapter, I get the sense of a good poise for this author. To me, I can tell if a book is going to have good poise and a good writting style within the first couple of chapters. I also can tell that the author has put a good amount of heart into this book. The best books I have ever read are the ones the author wanted to do, not what the publisher says will sell. This book should be a great read the whole way through, as the first chapter is. Thanks for sending me this book.

Nick
Nick in Coloma
Contributor
lilacdlf
0 Kudos

Like I said in another post, I was suprised to find this book waiting for me when I got home this afternoon. I did not think I had made the cut off and for the life of me could not figure out what I had ordered from bnn.com. So far I have read through chapter one and I really love the descriptive writing. It feels like you are pulled right into the story feelings and all. I read through the posts here and see that some are saying that at times the descriptions are a bit much. I have read authors that go on and on about something to the point I put the book down never to be finished. I do hope that is not the case here because it is such a great start.
Reader 2
RaysDog
0 Kudos

I received my copy a few days ago and have read the first chapter. I'm always interested in first lines. An author only has a few sentences to capture the reader. "The day I returned to Templeton steeped in disgrace, the fifty-foot corpse of a monster surfaced in Lake Glimmerglass." Yep. Good start.

I plan to put some serious reading time in this weekend.

Thanks to B&N and Ms. Groff for this opportunity.
Plot? Put your protagonist up a tree and throw rocks at him. Uncle Jim Macdonald
KxBurns
0 Kudos

RaysDog wrote:
I received my copy a few days ago and have read the first chapter. I'm always interested in first lines. An author only has a few sentences to capture the reader. "The day I returned to Templeton steeped in disgrace, the fifty-foot corpse of a monster surfaced in Lake Glimmerglass." Yep. Good start.

I plan to put some serious reading time in this weekend.

Thanks to B&N and Ms. Groff for this opportunity.

You're right RaysDog - that first sentence is spot-on. It offers a lot of intrigue and just enough fact that the reader doesn't feel completely lost.
Frequent Contributor
CathieS
0 Kudos

What I am enjoying are the teasers that are thrown in. Just a glimpse of what is to come so you know it's out there, but not the whole deal just yet.

My schedule through this coming Sunday is hectic but I've read the first 4 or 5 chapters. I find I hate to put it down and can't wait for my next few minutes of quiet time so I can get back to the story.

Cathie
Frequent Contributor
gluepot
0 Kudos

Received my copy two days ago. I have leafed through it twice:

1. There seems to be enough to chew the fat with or to chew the cud with---take your pick

2. Anyone who uses:"aka Leatherstocking, Natty Bumppo, Hawkeye, etc" in a chapter title has got some guts

3. Lake Glimmerglass

Now there's a name to conjure with.

gluepot
Inspired Correspondent
jclay26
0 Kudos

The imagery in this book is so amazing. Often I get distracted when I am reading a book and this has not happened with this book. You actually feel like you are there and can conjure up images in your head of what it is like. It is like an escape into another world. I keep wanting to stop what I am doing so that I can go back and read more of the book. I really love the intertwining of past and present. We all have questions about our history or mysteries that have yet to be uncovered. Discovering the past and all its secrets can allow us to move into the future without all the "hidden" baggage that keeps us from moving forward. This is truly an amazing book full of so many dynamics and I am so glad I have been given the chance to read it!
What you have to do...is trust your own story. Get the hell out of the way and let it tell itself. - Tim O'Brien; The Things They Carried
Users Online
Currently online:9 members 277 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: