Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

KxBurns
0 Kudos

Welcome to the Discussion!

Hello, and welcome to all of you joining us for the first time, as well as those returning for round two of our book club discussion of The Monsters of Templeton!

For the newcomers, a bit of history: The Monsters of Templeton was our inaugural First Look selection back in October. It was a rousing success and the book inspired much spirited discussion. (Be sure to check out the reviews of our early readers.) We also had the pleasure of receiving visits to the boards from author Lauren Groff, as well as the book's publisher, editor, and cover designer.

On the cusp of the February 5th publication of The Monsters of Templeton, we'd like to get the conversation going again, so be sure to browse the many threads from our original discussion and check out the new threads to weigh in with your own thoughts on the book.

And I'm happy to tell you all that Lauren Groff will be joining us again starting on March 3rd to discuss her book!

Happy reading,
Karen
Contributor
amam
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Discussion!

I grew up in a small town about ten miles from Cooperstown. I spent summers long ago working in Cooperstown as well as attended the now defunct Girl Scout Camp on Otsego Lake--or Glimmerglass as the lake is apparently called in this book. Because of the local connection, I am very interested to read and discuss the book.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: NY Times Review

[ Edited ]
The New York Times review is out today. If you aren't already registered, you may need to, but it's free.

Read the review here.

For those of you who can't read it, or don't want to register, the conclusion of the review is:

In the end, all of Groff’s parodies and pastiches cannot disguise that she’s written a very simple tale of homecoming and reconciliation. Her talent appears to be simpler and more openly emotional than she acknowledges. Though she throws in ending after ending, Groff also ties things together quite nicely; if what had preceded these multiple endings had been less showy, you could even say satisfyingly. In Steve Erickson’s recent novel “Zeroville,” a film editor describes his job as freeing the true movie from the false one in which it is imprisoned. That’s the work that hasn’t been done on “The Monsters of Templeton.”

Message Edited by Everyman on 04-12-2008 01:29 PM
Please welcome our newest community members: