Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Bulburrow Court

[ Edited ]
In her letter (the one that accompanied your arc), Poppy writes about the house that inspired Ginny's (and Vivien's) Bulburrow Court:

You may be interested to know that the house where THE SISTER is set -- Bulburrow Court -- does exist, or the inspiration for it anyway. I walked into it a few years ago in the deepest English countryside. A Victorian folly, it had almost all the turrets and towers and chimney stacks that I describe in the book (it even had a bell tower), and was a near ruin. It looked as though no one could have lived in it for years. But when I went upstairs and into one of the bedrooms on the south side, there, in the far corner, was a neatly made-up bed, covered with a floral quilt. It was a cosy little corner in an otherwise cast and lifeless house. An elderly lady, who had recently died, had lived in the house all her life and had refused to move out! It was enough to get anybody wondering about her...

Below are photographs of that house: Seaborough Court.

Many thanks to Poppy for these shots and adding another rich layer to the story we are reading!

Seaborough Court (credit: Poppy Adams)
SEABOROUGH COURT
(credit: Poppy Adams)

Seaborough Court Interior 2 (credit: Poppy Adams)
INTERIOR OF SEABOROUGH COURT

Seaborough Court Interior (credit: Poppy Adams)
INTERIOR OF SEABOROUGH COURT

Seaborough Court Exterior 2 (credit: Poppy Adams)
GROUNDS OF SEABOROUGH COURT

Seaborough Court Exterior 3 (credit: Poppy Adams)
GROUNDS OF SEABOROUGH COURT

Seaborough Court Exterior (credit: Poppy Adams)
EXTERIOR OF SEABOROUGH COURT

Message Edited by Maria_H on 03-08-2008 09:30 AM

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Bulborrow Court

Fascinating! Many thanks, Maria and Poppy Adams!
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

What incredible pictures, they make me want to go there. 
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Wow!!!! I love these pics. Gives me a new picture of scenes in my mind.  If that's the belltower it sure seems like a long way down for a little girl to fall. It's hard to believe she could survive that kind of fall even if those spikey things broke her fall.   Thanks Poppy, too cool :smileyhappy:
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Frequent Contributor
carriele
0 Kudos

Thanks for the wonderful pictures.  It's nice to see how closely my imagination matched the actual dwelling.  I think Bulborrow Court would look sort of spooky at night or when surrounded by the deep fog that Ginny often refers to though. 

Carrie E. 
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Thank you for the pictures. While I had a picture in my mind, these really give the story shape. :smileyhappy:
DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Very cool photos!

I wonder where she got the name Bulburrow from.

(BTW, Maria, it's Bulburrow, not Bulborrow as you had in your post.)
0 Kudos

Maria, these are great pics and it helps to put some things in perspective...it interesting that there was actually a lone woman living in the house of ruins...one spark of life...was this woman Adam's inspiration for the creation of Ginny's character?
Peace and love,
Paula R.

"Adversity causes some people to break, but causes others to break records."

Author Unknown
Inspired Correspondent
jclay26
0 Kudos

I love the pictures you have provided. It really helps with visualization when reading the book. What an amazing place!
What you have to do...is trust your own story. Get the hell out of the way and let it tell itself. - Tim O'Brien; The Things They Carried
Frequent Contributor
Aunt_Beth_64
0 Kudos

WOW! Great photos. Is there any related information about the elderly woman who was living alone in this mansion. (Poppy mentioned her in the letter that accompanied the ARC.)
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

The layout of this house reminds me of the old soap Dark Shadows.  Except for the paint job, the foyer looks exactly like that on the show.  Are there any Shadowphiles out there that may know if this house was a basis for the show or does anyone know if grand English manor homes have similar floor plans?
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

Voltaire
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote: (BTW, Maria, it's Bulburrow, not Bulborrow as you had in your post.)

Thanks for the correction -- we're so lucky to have your sharp eyes combing these threads!

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Contributor
purplepaigeturner
0 Kudos

Re: Bulburrow Court

I love these pictures.  I now want to go there. Giving a face to the house by seeing these pictures increases not only my enjoyment but helps me to understand "the House"
Thanks!
paige turner
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

What a fascinating and lovely house. That would have made a great cover IMO.

Reader
nicolemosco
0 Kudos

Thanks for the wonderful pictures.  It's nice to see how closely my imagination matched the actual dwelling.  I think Bulborrow Court would look sort of spooky at night or when surrounded by the deep fog that Ginny often refers to though. 
Carrie E. 

I agree--and being a 19th Century British Gothicist by trade, these images help solidify the Gothic edge I wanted to apply to the story since page one. One of the best things about the book for me thus far is the Gothic ambiance and the Victorian overtones, despite the fact that the novel is set in the present.
Frequent Contributor
bookhunter
0 Kudos

What I liked about the description of the house on pages 6-9 was that "each generation couldn't resist stamping its mark on it so that the house has become a conspicuous resister of its own history."

The house, especially with all the moth laboratories and displays seems like a museum.

It was sad to me to read that Ginny shut up almost all the rooms and sold all the furniture.  It seems like a waste, even though in her mind it was simplification and decluttering.

We discussed in the last First Look the Riverton house as a character in the novel. 

Do you all think Bulburrow is a character in this story?  Or at least reflects the characters and the story?

Ann, bookhunter
Contributor
corym
0 Kudos

What wonderful, fantastic pictures.  From seeing these pictures, I can imagine with the authors description, what the grounds look like and what the "Victorian Home" looks like.

Thank you for the beautiful pictures!
Contributor
dumlao_n
0 Kudos

Wow what great pictures. Older homes are fascinating to me with their history and character. I actually pictured the house to look something like the pictures Poppy Adams shared with us.
Contributor
mrstreme
0 Kudos

It's nice to have a visual of the manor that inspired Bulborrow Court. How pretty! I already finished the book, and I wish I had these pictures in my "mind's eye" while reading The Sister.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

bookhunter wrote:
It was sad to me to read that Ginny shut up almost all the rooms and sold all the furniture.  It seems like a waste, even though in her mind it was simplification and decluttering.

We discussed in the last First Look the Riverton house as a character in the novel. 

Do you all think Bulburrow is a character in this story?  Or at least reflects the characters and the story?

Ann, bookhunter

Bookhunter, that's exactly what I was thinking too.  But we just don't know in what kind of dire straits Ginny was up against.  Poverty, would make one do things that you wouldn't otherwise do.

As to the character of the house, I think Bulburrow has much more character than Riverton did.  Don't get me wrong but I was surprised that some of the main characters had left the home for a while and I lost the house/character connection.  This story is just over 4 days and the house as character is much more intense, at least for me.
Lynda

The Uncommon Reader

"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

Voltaire
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 704 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: