Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Mostow
0 Kudos

Re: Bulburrow Court

These pictures are wonderful!  It really makes everything I've read come to life. 

Thank you so much for sharing them!

Mona
Frequent Contributor
Jaelin
0 Kudos

Beautiful Pics!  Thanks for sharing!
Jessee
That is a good book which is opened with expectation and closed in profit.
~ Amos Bronson Alcott ~
Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff
0 Kudos

Thank you for posting the pictures. They bring more life to the story.

Mike
Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Reader
mmaroni
0 Kudos

Re: Bulborrow Court

I agree.  Now I realize HOW far she fell. It did not feel so far in the book.  How adventurous for them to even to up there!
Meg
Frequent Contributor
mwinasu
0 Kudos

Re: Bulborrow Court

You should use a picture of the house for the front page.
CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

Thank you for sharing the pictures. They really add to the setting of the novel in my mind.
CAG
Correspondent
Rosei
0 Kudos

I loved the photos and they really increase our insights about the Sisters' house. Thank you!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

I really loved the pictures also. It makes for a better visual of the premise. You can fit the characters in this house simpler than before seeing them. I love writers that put homes in as characters, it makes for excessabley great characters and you can imagine them in that particular house doing the things they describe them doing.
Contributor
jillhubbs
0 Kudos

These pictures are such a treat to look at! I am more than half way through with the book and often find myself imagining what the home and scenery looked like, seeing these photos just makes reading this book an even richer experience.
-Jill
New User
windwish
0 Kudos

Thanks for the pictures. It's nice to have a visual reference!
Frequent Contributor
thefamilymanager
0 Kudos

Mwinasu, I completely agree.  When I saw the pictures of the house, it made all of the descriptions of the house come to life, especially the bell tower. The picture of the house should be part of the cover. 

Lisa 
LMD

- if I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with! - Dorothy - Wizard of OZ
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

I'm afraid this house does not look very Victorian.
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Inspired Correspondent
Read-n-Rider
0 Kudos

It is obvious from the many comments, here and on the thread with the moth illustrations, that these visuals have significantly enhanced the reading of this novel for a lot of people.  I wonder if the author/publisher would consider including a few illustrations in the final version.  I think that pictures would, for example, help to alleviate what some have felt to be the "dryness" of the scientific description sections of the book.

Joan
Contributor
Bethann425
0 Kudos

I enjoyed looking at the pictures.  They do add to the novel of the sisters.  I feel an occassional picture in a book, such as this novel, helps to add to the life of the characters.  I enjoy novels that are closer to life, like The Sisters.  I can see this as a real family, where something caused tension between the sisters, and later in life, close to death, they want to go home and be together again.  I'm only on chapter 4, so the novel may end differently than the direction I think it's going in now.
Beth Ann
Reader 2
hasieb
0 Kudos

The picture really helps. It is a bit less castle and a bit more English home than I had pictured. It sets a nice tone.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Bulburrow Court : Bullbarrow Hill

[ Edited ]
The author may have taken the name Bulburrow Court from the famous Bulbarrow Hill in Dorset, which is the highest point in Dorset and an ancient burial mound which featured in Thomas Hardy's Tess of the d'Urbevilles:- 

After walking on Bullbarrow Hill Hardy wrote:

'So I am found on Ingpen Beacon or on Wyll's Neck to the west
Or else on homely Bulbarrow, or little Pilsdon Crest
Where men have never care to haunt, nor women have walked with me,
And ghosts then keep their distance; and I know some liberty.' 

Message Edited by Choisya on 03-11-2008 02:35 PM
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

Oh my! This is a great, great treat! I can't stop looking at the photos. Thank you so very much.
Grapes

Grapes
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Hmmmm...definitely a good one to ask of the author, thanks!

Choisya wrote:
The author may have taken the name Bulburrow Court from the famous Bulbarrow Hill in Dorset, which is the highest point in Dorset and an ancient burial mound which featured in Thomas Hardy's Tess of the d'Urbevilles:-

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Contributor
rstjm4
0 Kudos

Very cool pictures! It looks alot like what I had imagined it would. Very castle like!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Hi, Choisya. I wondered where you were.

Will be interesting to see whether Adams did indeed take the name from this source or from somewhere else.

What do you think of the book so far?

Have you used your research skills to look up the possible conditions which Ginny might have, based on Adams's presentation of her, and come to any preliminary conclusions as to what her issue is?

Choisya wrote:
The author may have taken the name Bulburrow Court from the famous Bulbarrow Hill in Dorset, which is the highest point in Dorset and an ancient burial mound which featured in Thomas Hardy's Tess of the d'Urbevilles:-

Message Edited by Choisya on 03-11-2008 02:35 PM

Please welcome our newest community members: