Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Re: Bulburrow Court

Thank you Maria and Poppy for these fantastic photos.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Bulburrow Court : Bullbarrow Hill

Thanks Everyman.  I am having some works done to my house which are causing me a lot of hassle and disruption so I haven't been online much:smileysad:

Early in the book I felt that Ginny had some for of mental disorder but I couldn't pin it down.However, someone has suggested Asperger's, which seems to fit. I posted this Wikipedia link elsewhere:-

I finished the book a little while ago and found it a fascinating tale which holds its mystery until the last page.  I also found it very gothic:smileyhappy:.    

Everyman wrote:
Hi, Choisya. I wondered where you were.

Will be interesting to see whether Adams did indeed take the name from this source or from somewhere else.

What do you think of the book so far?

Have you used your research skills to look up the possible conditions which Ginny might have, based on Adams's presentation of her, and come to any preliminary conclusions as to what her issue is?

Choisya wrote:
The author may have taken the name Bulburrow Court from the famous Bulbarrow Hill in Dorset, which is the highest point in Dorset and an ancient burial mound which featured in Thomas Hardy's Tess of the d'Urbevilles:-
After walking on Bullbarrow Hill Hardy wrote:
'So I am found on Ingpen Beacon or on Wyll's Neck to the west
Or else on homely Bulbarrow, or little Pilsdon Crest
Where men have never care to haunt, nor women have walked with me,
And ghosts then keep their distance; and I know some liberty.'

Message Edited by Choisya on 03-11-2008 02:35 PM

Contributor
zooey183
0 Kudos

it looks like a place with many stories in it.  your imagination does get going...
Reader
kathihart
0 Kudos

I so hope the pictures are included in the final printing.  Wonderful.
Kathihart
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

kathihart wrote:
I so hope the pictures are included in the final printing.  Wonderful.
Kathihart

Great thought! I hope so too.

Grapes

Grapes
Contributor
katefrias
0 Kudos

I love seeing these pictures - they make the story come to life, specifically that fall from the bell tower.  I agree with others previously who recommended using the pictures as a cover, or (if they can't use the actual pictures) an illustration of the house as the author sees it in her mind.  I also loved hearing the story of the elderly lady living alone in that house - that should be included in the book, either as a forward or in author's notes at the end.
New User
Mom-in-MI
0 Kudos

Re: Bulborrow Court

I so agree with you about the description of the house and the tragedy of selling off the furnishings, which to me represented the life force of the house being drained away bit by bit.  Ginny, of course, doesn't see it that way at all, not attaching any significance to the things.  I see the house more as a reflection of the characters than a character itself.  The characters' attitudes to the house and its possessions are significant.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Could anybody living alone for twenty or more years in a decrepit wreck like Bulburrow Court NOT go bonkers?
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:
Could anybody living alone for twenty or more years in a decrepit wreck like Bulburrow Court NOT go bonkers?

But at least it had a LIBRARY! Complete with Amontillado!

Ann, bookhunter
Frequent Contributor
bookhunter
0 Kudos

Just for fun, where would you rather visit--Vi and Willie's rambling old house inTempleton, the house at Riverton, or Bulburrow Court?

I think for a day trip I want to ramble around Bulburrow, have a fancy dinner at Riverton (or tea out by the Flight of Icarus Fountain, and snuggle in to sleep at Vi's.

Isn't it funny how a house can crate such a mood in a novel.

Ann, bookhunter (wondering what "mood" would be associated with MY house!)
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

Re: Bulburrow Court : Bullbarrow Hill

Maria_H wrote:
Hmmmm...definitely a good one to ask of the author, thanks!

Choisya wrote:
The author may have taken the name Bulburrow Court from the famous Bulbarrow Hill in Dorset, which is the highest point in Dorset and an ancient burial mound which featured in Thomas Hardy's Tess of the d'Urbevilles:-
After walking on Bullbarrow Hill Hardy wrote:
'So I am found on Ingpen Beacon or on Wyll's Neck to the west
Or else on homely Bulbarrow, or little Pilsdon Crest
Where men have never care to haunt, nor women have walked with me,
And ghosts then keep their distance; and I know some liberty.'

This is totally fascinating information. Thank you.
Grapes
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

No way! You would have to flown the coop.
Grapes
Frequent Contributor
Jennd1
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I really enjoyed seeing the pictures and I can see how they inspired the home in the novel which I think is a character in and of itself. It is kind of a silent watcher in one sense just standing by and seeing each generation change and grow. It is sad that the house had fallen into disrepair and that many of the items within it had to be sold. I think it kind of falls into that "it seemed like a good idea at the time" type of thing. Sorry I haven't posted before this but I was out of town without my laptop and then I came home to internet issues. I am doing my best to start catching up.

Jenn D
Frequent Contributor
bmbrennan
0 Kudos

Re: Bulborrow Court

I see Ginny selling off the furnishings as getting rid of things that no longer serve a purpose.  She doesn't need furnishings in rooms that are empty.  I believe that Ginny view things in terms of function.  She holds onto the teapot because she has tea everyday (it serves a purpose and a function) .  Keeping furniture in empty rooms or wings serves no purpose as a primary function of furniture is to be used, sat on, slept on etc.  Since she is the only occupant of the house, the furniture becomes superfluous to her,  Ginny has no sentimental attachment to the furnishings in her house, so she sells it and not being out in the world she has no idea what their monetary worth is, only that she is simplifying matters.
bmbrennan
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. Churchill
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

I didn't really have an image of the outside of the house but the interiors shots match very closely to my perceived images. jo
Contributor
Johanna88
0 Kudos

I would love to purchase the house and refurbish it so it could be in good shape with all of it's natural beauty. Imagine how beautiful a house it was in it earlier years. I would absolutely love to have the house, and now as I read the book, I feel even more a part of it because I picture the house in my head.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

If you were to purchase and refurbish it, I hope you would be able to afford the plethora of servants it would take to keep it up and running properly!

Johanna88 wrote:
I would love to purchase the house and refurbish it so it could be in good shape with all of it's natural beauty. Imagine how beautiful a house it was in it earlier years. I would absolutely love to have the house, and now as I read the book, I feel even more a part of it because I picture the house in my head.

0 Kudos

Plus the plethora of money for the initial purchase and refurbishing! Yipes, holy empty bank account, Batman!

Everyman wrote:
If you were to purchase and refurbish it, I hope you would be able to afford the plethora of servants it would take to keep it up and running properly!

Johanna88 wrote:

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
New User
bettyannwhitten
0 Kudos

Thank you for the pictures. The descriptions in the book were great and the pictures verify most of what I envisioned.
Frequent Contributor
shelley727
0 Kudos

Love the pics of what inspired Bulburrow Court.  Looks like a lovely place--would love to have a look round and explore the place.  Thanks for sharing the pics

Shelley
Users Online
Currently online: 41 members 551 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: