Frequent Contributor
Jaelin
0 Kudos

Re: looking in the mirror and 20 minutes after 50 years

sometimes it is to early though in this case we may never know since we don't get to see Vivi's point of view.....maybe that could be a whole other book.....interesting.......

Jessee
That is a good book which is opened with expectation and closed in profit.
~ Amos Bronson Alcott ~
Frequent Contributor
Jaelin
0 Kudos

Re: Chapter 1: Look-out

Interesting points.  I wouldn't have looked at Ginny as being judgemental of herself.  The fact that Vivi's return is tearing up more than one life is a point I wouldn't have thought of. Going to have to rethink!
Jessee
That is a good book which is opened with expectation and closed in profit.
~ Amos Bronson Alcott ~
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:
What do people make of the comment that their childhood was "in perfect balance"? (page 5) I don't know what this phrase might mean -- what is an unbalanced childhood? What is she implying? Why is this point made here?

What I got from this was that each member of the family had a place and they played off each other.  Sorta like knowing the personality of your family members, you know, what to expect of them, how they act and react.  Introvert, extrovert, etc.  No surprises. 
KxBurns
0 Kudos

EbonyAngel wrote:

Everyman wrote:
What do people make of the comment that their childhood was "in perfect balance"? (page 5) I don't know what this phrase might mean -- what is an unbalanced childhood? What is she implying? Why is this point made here?

What I got from this was that each member of the family had a place and they played off each other.  Sorta like knowing the personality of your family members, you know, what to expect of them, how they act and react.  Introvert, extrovert, etc.  No surprises. 

You know, sometimes it seems like within a family - especially among siblings - one person's embracing a particular role or characteristic can preclude others from espousing the same role/trait. So if one child is the outgoing one, the other must be shy. If one is punctual without fail, the other is chronically late.

Even though in reality, such characteristics operate on a spectrum, we perceive them as being categorical which maybe leads one child to adopt the opposite role if a given role is "taken." I wonder if this dynamic is at play at all with these sisters. And if so, are they opposites or do they just see it that way?... Will be interesting to see. 
Users Online
Currently online:112 members 671 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: