Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
HannibalCat
0 Kudos

Re: Chapter 6: Methodology

Skelly7645 wrote:
I may be over simplifying this chapter, but I believe that the main purpose of it is set by the title Methodology. I think that the author hopes to provide the reader with an overall sense of Ginny's obbessive compulsive behaviors. As far as Vivi goes, I actually find her to be more of a mystery still than Ginny. Where has she been all these years? Maybe she has not even spent enough time with Ginny to recognize the extent of her mental issues.

I agree with you. I think her OCD is the main reason for the time it takes to make her bed. Although I don't have RA I do have arthritis and was diagnosed with it at age 17, I'm 65 now and have suffered for many years. But bed making is not a problem. If it was RA, how would she put all those safety pins in her bed. And Ginny is still elusive, to me. I wonder why is she really there. Although she seemed upset by the selling of the furniture, I got the impression it was because of the obvious dishonesty of Bobby. Plus, the fact that it was the family's history. So, if it was important to Vivi, your question, "where has she been all these years" is pertinent. I can't see how Vivi could have any concept of how bad Ginny is since she, indeed, has not been around. I wonder just how bad Ginny really is?
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:
The thing that stood out most to me in this chapter was Ginny's compulsive drive for things to be in a set pattern. She lies awake listening to the movements of her sister, knowing where she is at each moment. It seems that Ginny feels invaded, although after 50 years there would be a little of this feeling. But, Ginny takes it further. She is obsessed with the clocks again and with the way things are done. One thought gets repeated: "there's a definite method to it" with making the bed (pg. 69) and making the tea (pg. 71). Vivi acts like nothing has changed by knocking and entering before invited, and by asking to get under the covers. Vivi doesn't seem to notice any changes in her sister, which is surprising due to the changes in the house.

Maybe that's because Ginny has really changed and Vivi accepts that as it may be. Jo
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

Jo6353 wrote:

DSaff wrote:
The thing that stood out most to me in this chapter was Ginny's compulsive drive for things to be in a set pattern. She lies awake listening to the movements of her sister, knowing where she is at each moment. It seems that Ginny feels invaded, although after 50 years there would be a little of this feeling. But, Ginny takes it further. She is obsessed with the clocks again and with the way things are done. One thought gets repeated: "there's a definite method to it" with making the bed (pg. 69) and making the tea (pg. 71). Vivi acts like nothing has changed by knocking and entering before invited, and by asking to get under the covers. Vivi doesn't seem to notice any changes in her sister, which is surprising due to the changes in the house.

Maybe that's because Ginny has really changed and Vivi accepts that as it may be. Jo

Sorry, that was supposed to say 'hasn't changed." Jo
Wordsmith
maude40
0 Kudos

I love Adam's descriptions. They give such a great picture, especially the one on page 62." New tendrils on the Virginia creeper are in eerie silhouette, pointing at me with young, fresh attitude. It's exhausting having to watch them, all curled up like a chameleon's tongue, ready to unfurl and pounce towards the next foothold in their spring invasion of my room."  Yvonne
Wordsmith
maude40
0 Kudos

Ginny's OCD is bound to get in the way of having someone come into her environment and take up residence, mucking the order she has meticulously set up. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Yvonne
Frequent Contributor
ezraSid
0 Kudos

I actually had an odd thought about Dr. Moyse, what if he is a figment of Ginny's imagination?  I mean, the only one who has mentioned him is her and her sister mentions the peculiar dreams....   I thought it was quite OCD of ginny when it came to the bed.  Imagine not moving so as not to have to make the bed.  I couldn't imagine what would take so long in making a bed as to take nearly an hour.  I really enjoyed the chapter though.

~Grace~
Frequent Contributor
Jaelin
0 Kudos

Not I!  I would almost expect it from family that has been around though from someone who has been gone for 50 years NO!
Jessee
That is a good book which is opened with expectation and closed in profit.
~ Amos Bronson Alcott ~
Frequent Contributor
Jaelin
0 Kudos

AnnaB wrote:
I was also uncomfortable with Vivi's comment, "Well, I suppose it's (the bed) mine too..."  Clearly Ginny was uncomfortable with her presence in her private bedroom, and then to infer that everything actually belonged to her too....   It was interesting how surprised Vivi was to see the bed in the first place. 
I also got the impression that Vivi knew something about the visits by the Dr.  Her comment sure made her sound like she was covering something. 
This chapter was full of very telling comments. Insight in to the history of the family/sister's relationship. 

hhhmmm It makes me wonder if it Dr. Moyse who had an affair with Maud and that Ginny may not be Clive's?
Jessee
~ Amos Bronson Alcott ~
Frequent Contributor
Jaelin
0 Kudos

runnybabbit620 wrote:

Also, on p.70 Ginny remarks further to Vivi that Michael offered to buy the house and let her live in the Stables and that she passed up the offer.  I am wondering why she made the decision to stay when she has sold off so much furniture and closed off all but the South wing until Vivi's return.

I think she passed since Vivi owns half of the estate.  Clive left it to both so unless both decided to sell then neither could individually......
Jessee
~ Amos Bronson Alcott ~
Frequent Contributor
Jaelin
0 Kudos

I was thinking the same way after reading this chapter.  Before it was strange though now you can almost see it....hhhhmmmmm
Jessee
~ Amos Bronson Alcott ~
Frequent Contributor
Jaelin
0 Kudos

Could be  a possibility....though she came home as a newborn and Ginny mentions the date?......
Jessee
~ Amos Bronson Alcott ~
KxBurns
0 Kudos

maude40 wrote:
I love Adam's descriptions. They give such a great picture, especially the one on page 62." New tendrils on the Virginia creeper are in eerie silhouette, pointing at me with young, fresh attitude. It's exhausting having to watch them, all curled up like a chameleon's tongue, ready to unfurl and pounce towards the next foothold in their spring invasion of my room."  Yvonne

I agree! And it's kind of odd that Ginny finds it exhausting to watch the creeper. I find that observing nature "ready to unfurl" is usually invigorating. Do you think maybe it's a metaphor for her outlook on life, or a metaphor for the reaction that others may have to Ginny (being the personification of the creeper)?
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

LisaMM wrote:
I thought the end of the chapter was interesting too, when Vivi mentions Ginny's tea's gone cold, and Ginny thinks-

-but to tell you the truth, I'd never have drunk it. It's far too milky and it's been spilt on the saucer. My tea needs to be the exact mix of strength and color, and there's a definite method to that.

Yes, I think she's definitely displaying OCD tendencies. How will she react to the disruption in her routine caused by Vivi moving in? I don't think it will be pleasant!!!

But wouldn't it be great if all of our lives were a nice blend of strength and color? Jo
Users Online
Currently online: 30 members 377 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: