Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Re: Cocoons, Caterpillars, and Moths -- oh my!

Thanks for adding this post.  What a heartbreaking poem.  It causes pause, I think, for one to take a moment to observe and appreciate what's around, rather than taking things for granted. 

just a note: This poem is preserved in typewritten copy on thin copy paper in the collection of poetry by the poet, which was donated to the State Jewish Museum during its documentation campaign. Pavel Freidmann was born on January 7, 1921, in Prague and deported to Terezin on April 26, 1942. He died in Aushchwitz on September 29, 1944.
it was a sad time in history. if you would like more information you can go to this site: http://www.shoaheducation.com/terezin.html
it is one among many.
Contributor
Bethann425
0 Kudos

Thank you for the pics and poetry added.  I enjoyed the pictures and reading the poetry.  Thank you to the ones who added research material as well.  This is turning out to be educational, as well as reading the novel, which I've enjoyed thus far.  I write poetry, and butterflies have made a brief appearance in a few, as they add movement to my poetry.
Beth Ann
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Thank you for the photos; but what is the significance of the ones on the cover; are they specific types of butterflies or just an artistic representation. I frankly see Clive and Ginny as moths. Are the butterflies Maud and Vivian.
Contributor
rstjm4
0 Kudos

What great pictures! So many people mistake moths for butterflies, not realizing there is a difference. Moths are also seen as destructive, which really they aren't. Sure if they get trapped they are going to do what they need to survive, but in all reality they aren't that destructive.

There is butterfly garden at the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo that we visit every year when we go to the zoo. I love the butterfly garden and am alway in there forever just looking at the different butterflys, and some moths that they have in there. Its beautiful!
Contributor
zooey183
0 Kudos

i love the deceptiveness of the butterflies and moths. you never know what you're getting! they look bigger, smaller, like other things and other creatures.  full of surprises.
Contributor
CKindian
0 Kudos

Thanks for the pictures.  I knew what some looked like, it is nice to be able to put a picture with the names.  I enjoyed reading about moths and caterpillars..  Some times a little to much detail.  But have always loved watching moths and butterflies. Still like to catch caterpillars and keep them in a jar until they turn into the beautiful and graceful creatures they become.  I would not like to destroy them, just to see what they look like.
Contributor
katefrias
0 Kudos

Thanks for all the posts of the pictures and info about moths and caterpillars - I found that aspect of the book difficult to get interested in, but seeing the pictures helps make them seem more real to me.

New User
Mom-in-MI
0 Kudos

These are wonderful!  Thank you for replacing the drab, brown caterpillars and moths that I had imagined with these colorful creatures.  It makes one imagine how interesting it would be to study them.  I agree that the story would certainly benefit from some pictures on the cover or sketches within the story.
Contributor
x2qwk2cx
0 Kudos

love seeing the pics - brings the reading more to life! Thanks - I'm also feeling the need to be able to visualize the moths and caterpillars as I read..
New User
DanceAlert
0 Kudos

Thanks for letting me know the cover had butterflies on it, and not moths.

I didn't look it up but I had the feeling of confusion, they were always speaking of moths, when I was sure they should have also included talk of butterflies. I guess I never knew moths could resemble butterlies in their coloring.  Thanks for the pictures, and for cleaing up the confusion about the fact that those were butterflies on the cover and not moths!

Dance Alert
Contributor
zonkedElf
0 Kudos

wow! thanks for posting the beautiful pix of teh caterpillars. i couldn't believe how fascinating this author made this subject.  i can't remember when i've been so pulled into a book when the heroine seemed so sinister yet compelling. 
www.LynnCoulter.com
www.MustardSeedsBook.com
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

Re: The Butterfly Effect!

bookhunter wrote:
Peppermill, I have been to the Butterfly house at Callaway Gardens and one that is part of the Tennessee Auarium in Chattanoonga. It is an amazing experience to see so many butterflies at once. Both places also have windows into "hatching rooms" where you can see cocoons and chrysalids with emerging moths and butterflies.
Among all the plants are butterfly feeders that have some of the same "lures" talked about in the book. I had to look up what "treacle" is while I read, and it seems to be something like molassas. In the butterfly houses are plates of sticky syrup and pieces of fruit--especially yukky old bananas.
My mother tried to set up a butterfly feeder at home with rotten bananas and syrup after our trip. It attracted a few butterflies--and LOTS of yellow jackets!
Ann, bookhunter

We had a butterfly bush that attracted the most beautiful Monarchs as well as others. I really enjoyed watching them until I discovered one day that the birds that i was feeding were also feeding on the butterflies! I felt so bad, like I was luring them there to be eaten! Jo
Contributor
Johanna88
0 Kudos

I went to a large butterfly garden in Houston, TX a few years ago. It was huge and it looked like a gigantic glass pyramid, and I saw a great variety of caterpillars. It was wonderful.
Reader
christyc12
0 Kudos

I agree with some of the other readers your photos helped me put a picture with them in my head and understand slightly better the fancination with the moths. I had always felt that moths were all ugly. Not so much anymore. Thanks.
Frequent Contributor
nmccarthy
0 Kudos

I just bought the most beautiful picture book published by DK, "butterfly". The large, close-up pictures are amazing! Check it out next time you're in Barnes and Noble.
Nancy
Frequent Contributor
nmccarthy
0 Kudos

Here's the info about the "butterfly" book. It was just published this month.

Cover Image
Butterfly by Sam Calagion, Ben Morgan, Marnie Old, Thomas Marent (Photographer) , Ben Morgan

Hardcover

Fast & Free DeilveryDetails

Usually ships within 24 hours

• ISBN-13: 9780756633400
  • Sales Rank: 60,447
  • Pub. Date: March 2008

This visual gallery of butterflies provides an extraordinary collection of images of these elusive and difficult-to-photograph creatures. Breathtakingly detailed photography ...  More

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

I saw a moth on Saturday while I was mowing the lawns and started wondering what kind it is, etc.  :smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
shelley727
0 Kudos

Great pics
THanks!

Shelley
Users Online
Currently online: 56 members 723 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: