Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
LollySirk
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Like someone else said, I also am more familiar with reading a book rather than discussing it. This is my first experience with a book club. I felt behind right from the getgo. Somehow I have to learn how to navigate these structures. I probably screwed up by not participating more and wouldn't be surprised if I don't get the next ARC. Not to give an excuse, but my husband is in and out of the hospital a lot lately and I have time to read, but not so much to go online. I hope this will change soon. Anyway, from what I've experienced, I think it would be better to read the entire book first then discuss it, as long as there is a decent length of time to read it.
LollySirk aka Laura
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

LollySirk wrote:
Like someone else said, I also am more familiar with reading a book rather than discussing it. This is my first experience with a book club. I felt behind right from the getgo. Somehow I have to learn how to navigate these structures. I probably screwed up by not participating more and wouldn't be surprised if I don't get the next ARC. Not to give an excuse, but my husband is in and out of the hospital a lot lately and I have time to read, but not so much to go online. I hope this will change soon. Anyway, from what I've experienced, I think it would be better to read the entire book first then discuss it, as long as there is a decent length of time to read it.
LollySirk aka Laura

Don't fear Laura.  The powers that be at First Look don't seem to consider how much input you've had during an ARC.  Just register for the next one and if they get it in time you'll probably receive the next one.  Everyone finds their own pace and does what's best for them.  Don't give up and hope to hear from you in June.  Hope your husband's on the road to recovery.  :smileyhappy:
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room - Wow

I guessed I missed the back and forth. "Everybody" made some very good points based upon their own personal preferences.

Just a thought: Once you have finished the book, it is tough to get the energy level up to review earlier questions or topics. That approach stifles discussion at a deep level. When discussions have been along the lines of section/chapter/verse; the discussions that I have viewed and/or participated in have been very deep and engaging. When groups of chapters have been joined together or the book has been segmented into beginning, middle and end; the discussions have been fairly non-existent nor heavily participated in.

I recommend keeping the format as it has been for those readers who want to engage in a deep discussion and debate their relevancy which is half the fun. For those who do not want to participate at that level; simply have the thematic or character specific threads where readers can participate at will. I have also noticed unfortunately that there are always partipants who want to change something and even want to change B&N. Some of these changes may be made at the bequest of the more vociferous members rather than the silent majority. I hope that changes will not be made because of that reason alone though I fear they might. I do think that recommendations do have merit and that readers have many good ideas about what works for them.

I have also seen when the discussions have been divided up into large chunks of the novel that there have been a ton of spoilers interspersed with folks' postings. Everybody forgets where they are. Much better from my viewpoint to continue to have it chapter by chapter.

I do agree that aside from the introduction thread that all of the other First Book threads should be locked down until the discussion begins; otherwise everybody feels that they have to rush the novel and the discussions or that they are hopelessly behind. This actually use to be the case for discussions on the board.

Anyways, everybody's ideas have merit and made for interesting reading but I have to agree I do like the chapter by chapter approach. But from my viewpoint once I have finished a novel; I move on to something else. Therefore, the chapter by chapter discussion keeps me personally engaged with high interest.

Also, I respect everyone's viewpoints and am simply adding my own input and do not want to debate personal preferences further or at all.

Bentley
Users Online
Currently online: 31 members 1,049 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: