Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dg
Frequent Contributor
dg
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Just like Barbara Hershey - would never have noticed it if it wasn't mentioned.
Frequent Contributor
AllieK
0 Kudos

I know it might take a while to get the return PM that we got the book, but has anyone got one yet?? Just curious ;-)

Allison
Contributor
OldMustyBooks
0 Kudos

AllieK wrote:
I know it might take a while to get the return PM that we got the book, but has anyone got one yet?? Just curious ;-)

Allison

I just got mine. I'm in. YAY! I can't wait to receive the book and start reading.
To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly. No exceptions. ~William James
Frequent Contributor
ELee
0 Kudos

AllieK wrote:
has anyone got one yet??

Allison

I'm in!
Frequent Contributor
AllieK
0 Kudos

How funny...in less then 30 mins after putting that note in here asking who had gotten their PM's..they start showing up!! I just got mine!! WOO hoo!! can't wait to get the book and get reading it!! :-)
Contributor
Caliwriter04
0 Kudos

I hope that I get the opportunity to join as well! I am really enjoying this club so far!
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

GMorrison wrote:
I did the same as well with THaR, not realizing that we we weren't going to read the whole thing and then discuss it. (I have a lot of experience as a reader, but not so much as a bookclub reader!) This time I'll do things right if I snag a book.

But I think you have a point--even if I know I'm only supposed to read a few chapters a day and not the whole book, I might still get carried away once the plot picks up!

penny70 wrote:

dg wrote:
I read the book fast and then I was afraid to participate too much in discussions because I thought I might give something away. I even tried to reread the chapters with the group but I still kept thinking I might have remembered something that was further into the book.

DG,

I had the same problem this time. I started out to read no further than the end of Part 1 until I saw how it was being set up to run. However, as I was reading I kept saying to myself I want to know what happened and how and the next thing I knew I had finished the book. All because I got sucked in and felt a part of it and just had to know what really happened. I was so glad to see a posting already for at least an outline of how we were going to proceed through this next book. Hopefully, I can make myself stop and not get TOO far ahead again.

Penny

I used post-it notes because I read so far ahead. I used them for chapter headings and for indivual things I wanted to bring out or discuss.
Frequent Contributor
hpthatbme
0 Kudos

HI everyone, I just noticed my pm and I am in. I noticed others are mentioning what happened to me with MoT, I got some good good advice similar to what Ebony mentioned. I now take notes on my thoughts by chapters and post them so that I won't post any spoilers. I also read what others are talking about, that way I stay more on topic.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

You know what I forgot? I forgot this doesnt start till MARCH, not Feb. LOL. So got plenty of time to get the book and plenty of time to do another club for February. At least I know I got March's book chosen now tho. Altho, if we get another author led discussion in March too, I may have to do both! I love those month long talks lol. I thought when I got my confirmation, hmm, so it starts in Feb, but isnt going to get mailed till Feb? Better read this one fast! lol. This works out much better.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Read-n-Rider
0 Kudos

Hi, Vivian--and everyone else! Are we going to use the same couch here that we had for The House at Riverton? That one was so comfortable!

Joan
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Read-n-Rider wrote:
Hi, Vivian--and everyone else! Are we going to use the same couch here that we had for The House at Riverton? That one was so comfortable!

Joan

Yes, yes, yes, absolutely. I've already left my indentation in my spot. But we'll need to grab a vacuum to suck up all these cookie crumbs, pie crumbs etc. etc.
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Carmenere_lady wrote:

Read-n-Rider wrote:

Joan

Yes, yes, yes, absolutely. I've already left my indentation in my spot. But we'll need to grab a vacuum to suck up all these cookie crumbs, pie crumbs etc. etc.

Watch the vacuum, I am still laying on the couch, just move it in with me on it please, permanent fixture. Don't you love these 20 foot over stuffed couches LOL.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

I'm in ... just got the confirmation. I'm the gal from the midwest. Look forward to reading it. :smileywink:
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Read-n-Rider wrote:

Joan

Hi all - actually I think they had to bring in a few extra ones in the extra wide variety for all the cookies and stuff we have been cyberconsuming. LOL Anyway, anyone for a slice of just now warm date and nut bread and some chai?

kaye
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:
I'm in ... just got the confirmation. I'm the gal from the midwest. Look forward to reading it. :smileywink:

Yeahh Cindersue, we have been talking about you all during January you know lol. :smileywink: For those of you in our "little circle of nine now" lol, this is the Cindy we told you was our friend who we were hoping would be back in February! :smileywink: And to everyone else, this is Cindy, shes cool, 5 star person, good friend, so we need to make room on the couch for her lol.
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
GMorrison
0 Kudos

Good idea, but I'd probably still have a problem with remembering what exactly came where in the plot. I did that with the last book and the moderator had to delete a few of my posts. I felt so bad--I'd hate it if I'd accidentally spoiled someone!

GMorrison

EbonyAngel wrote:

GMorrison wrote:
I did the same as well with THaR, not realizing that we we weren't going to read the whole thing and then discuss it. (I have a lot of experience as a reader, but not so much as a bookclub reader!) This time I'll do things right if I snag a book.

But I think you have a point--even if I know I'm only supposed to read a few chapters a day and not the whole book, I might still get carried away once the plot picks up

I used post-it notes because I read so far ahead. I used them for chapter headings and for indivual things I wanted to bring out or discuss.

Frequent Contributor
GMorrison
0 Kudos

I just got a notification that I am indeed receiving The Sister next month. My fingers are crossed that you are too!

GMorrison

dg wrote:
You're right - I didn't think about how hard it is to stop reading when you're really enjoying a book. Hope I get the chance to see if I can do it.

Frequent Contributor
Luvstoread
0 Kudos

I'm in! Just got my PM! I'm looking forward to reading this. I enjoyed HaR.
Luvs2read (a/k/a Norma)
Frequent Contributor
ploabhawes
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

KathyS wrote:
Lisa,
This picture reminded me of the actress, Barbara Hershey. Ring any bells?
K.

YES!!!!!!!!!!! That's it!! I have searched high and low trying to figure out who she reminded me of but you got it. Amen. It was driving me crazy for the past 2 days. Thank you Kathy.:smileyhappy:!

Message Edited by ploabhawes on 01-30-2008 04:23 PM
Correspondent
HannibalCat
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Carmenere_lady wrote:

Read-n-Rider wrote:

Joan

Watch the vacuum, I am still laying on the couch, just move it in with me on it please, permanent fixture. Don't you love these 20 foot over stuffed couches LOL.

Make sure you don't get dusted if you are sleeping under a blanket. It could be dangerous.
Users Online
Currently online: 41 members 991 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: