Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Aunt_Beth_64
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

ploabhawes wrote:
Hello!

I managed to be off running errands when the new book was posted. Naughty Lisa! I am hoping that I am not too late to participate this time.

Vivian, how are you feeling? Glad to see you "out and about" here!!

BTW, the author reminds me of an actress (that the name eludes me right now......) hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I think on of the stars of Without A Trace is Poppy Montgomery. Maybe that is who you are thinking of.

Beth
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

ploabhawes wrote:
Hello!

I managed to be off running errands when the new book was posted. Naughty Lisa! I am hoping that I am not too late to participate this time.

BTW, the author reminds me of an actress (that the name eludes me right now......) hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Hey Lisa, I am always lurking somewhere, comes from being stuck at home. But good friends, good books, always a plus :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

You must be in Eastern Washington (or Oregon). West of the mountains we only got a few inches, though that's enough on our hilly terrain and lack of snow clearing equipment (and driving skill) to make it a mess. But heard that Spokane got a rousing 16 inches that closed everything down.

And more to come tonight!

CAG wrote:
I live in the Pacific Northwest and everything is closed down because of the snow (about 17" in 30 hours), so I was off work and got the message right away through home email. It sounds like another great opportunity. Hope I get in-thanks Barnes and Noble.

0 Kudos

I have sent in the PM so I will just wait to hear and hope I was early enough 1:05 to be included in the group. Thanks
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

sheshe703 wrote:
I have sent in the PM so I will just wait to hear and hope I was early enough 1:05 to be included in the group. Thanks

I am sure you will get in fine sheshe, its probably still open for others. The last one was open for days. It will just take them a few days to get the confirmations out. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
GMorrison
0 Kudos

Hah--I had a note in my planner reminding me to sign up, and then I got called away from the computer and came in hours after everyone else! I'm hoping I'm lucky and still early enough to receive a book, even though I wasn't as quick as the rest of you. I really enjoyed THaR and judging by the excerpt, this next book looks great too.
Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

I wasn't fortunate enough to be around a computer at 1 so I am hoping I will get to participate. I need something to occupy my thoughts as my 'only' son will be moving to New Orleans in the coming weeks to be near his fiance' taking him 8 hours from our home. He's been home since graduating from college so I will be experiencing "empty nest" all over again.
~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
dg
Frequent Contributor
dg
0 Kudos

You will get an email message on this site - you have to look at it. I didn't realize I had gotten it for a couple of days last time around. I so enjoyed the last book, I really would really like to be able to participate in this one. Hope you get in - you might want to check the schedule. For the last book I didn't realize that they break the discussion down by chapters (they have a schedule available) and I read the book fast and then I was afraid to participate too much in discussions because I thought I might give something away. I even tried to reread the chapters with the group but I still kept thinking I might have remembered something that was further into the book.
Frequent Contributor
penny70
0 Kudos

dg wrote:
I read the book fast and then I was afraid to participate too much in discussions because I thought I might give something away. I even tried to reread the chapters with the group but I still kept thinking I might have remembered something that was further into the book.

DG,

I had the same problem this time. I started out to read no further than the end of Part 1 until I saw how it was being set up to run. However, as I was reading I kept saying to myself I want to know what happened and how and the next thing I knew I had finished the book. All because I got sucked in and felt a part of it and just had to know what really happened. I was so glad to see a posting already for at least an outline of how we were going to proceed through this next book. Hopefully, I can make myself stop and not get TOO far ahead again.

Penny
CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

You are right-I am in Eastern Washington-Spokane. We are getting more snow but I think everything will open up tomorrow and it will be back to driving on snow covered icy roads. We are lucky to have the snow plows and some experience of how to drive in these conditions.

Everyman wrote:
You must be in Eastern Washington (or Oregon). West of the mountains we only got a few inches, though that's enough on our hilly terrain and lack of snow clearing equipment (and driving skill) to make it a mess. But heard that Spokane got a rousing 16 inches that closed everything down.

And more to come tonight!

CAG wrote:
I live in the Pacific Northwest and everything is closed down because of the snow (about 17" in 30 hours), so I was off work and got the message right away through home email. It sounds like another great opportunity. Hope I get in-thanks Barnes and Noble.

CAG
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I've been posting to the wrong place, so please don't judge me by that LOL. That's what I get for rushing through directions....

I'm the same...I was hours behind many of you. I'm in Southern California and kept thinking 1 pm OUR time, not EASTERN TIME. I think I'm in trouble. Being in California does have it's disadvantages, yes it does. I'm still crossing my fingers that I squeak in. PLEASE please please.

I hope to join in on the discussion. The excerpt was wonderful.

Cheers,

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Correspondent
Rosei
0 Kudos

Hello! I´m from Brazil and have just enrolled. The Sister seems really a very interesting book and I´m excited.

Hugs to everyone!
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

ploabhawes wrote:
Hello!

Lisa,
This picture reminded me of the actress, Barbara Hershey. Ring any bells?
K.
Frequent Contributor
mrsvaljones
0 Kudos

Well my PDA reminded me to sign up for The Sisters. The novel looks fantastic. I hope I get in, reading surly takes the pressure off of life and gives us a little time to escape reality. Val
Valerie Jones
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams..." -Dr. Seuss
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

mrsvaljones wrote:
Well my PDA reminded me to sign up for The Sisters. The novel looks fantastic. I hope I get in, reading surly takes the pressure off of life and gives us a little time to escape reality. Val

Val, You'll get in, no worries. You speak of reality...what's that? :smileyhappy:You'll start to think these BandNBC's are your reality, if you're not careful! LOL
Beware!
K.
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

this is the most fun i have had in years, on the computer, anyway. i enjoy reading all of the comments on all of the threads that i have discovered so far. since i am relatively new at this, (the house at riverton was my first foray into the book club), i am still learning the ropes. like so many of you, i enjoy reading all genres. every book has a message for its reader. i am kind of a positive person and usually find something to like in all books i read. i think books are sometimes like people. there are good and bad, but it is so much better to look for and concentrate on the good in both!
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

GMorrison wrote:
Hah--I had a note in my planner reminding me to sign up, and then I got called away from the computer and came in hours after everyone else! I'm hoping I'm lucky and still early enough to receive a book, even though I wasn't as quick as the rest of you. I really enjoyed THaR and judging by the excerpt, this next book looks great too.

I had my calendar pop-up but ended up working til 3. Hope I made it on time.
Frequent Contributor
GMorrison
0 Kudos

I did the same as well with THaR, not realizing that we we weren't going to read the whole thing and then discuss it. (I have a lot of experience as a reader, but not so much as a bookclub reader!) This time I'll do things right if I snag a book.

But I think you have a point--even if I know I'm only supposed to read a few chapters a day and not the whole book, I might still get carried away once the plot picks up!

penny70 wrote:

dg wrote:
I read the book fast and then I was afraid to participate too much in discussions because I thought I might give something away. I even tried to reread the chapters with the group but I still kept thinking I might have remembered something that was further into the book.

DG,

I had the same problem this time. I started out to read no further than the end of Part 1 until I saw how it was being set up to run. However, as I was reading I kept saying to myself I want to know what happened and how and the next thing I knew I had finished the book. All because I got sucked in and felt a part of it and just had to know what really happened. I was so glad to see a posting already for at least an outline of how we were going to proceed through this next book. Hopefully, I can make myself stop and not get TOO far ahead again.

Penny

Frequent Contributor
AllieK
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

ploabhawes wrote:
Hello!

Lisa,
This picture reminded me of the actress, Barbara Hershey. Ring any bells?
K.

Yes! That is who I thought she looked like too!!
dg
Frequent Contributor
dg
0 Kudos

You're right - I didn't think about how hard it is to stop reading when you're really enjoying a book. Hope I get the chance to see if I can do it.
Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 713 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: