Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Rugbugcr
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss the Cover

I think a better cover might be of an older silhouette hidden in the shadows looking out the window of the second floor of the home.  Maybe out the window it could show a car arriving.  I just don't think the current cover does the book any justice and wouldn't bring bookshelf appeal.
Frequent Contributor
BookSavage
0 Kudos

I am one of those people that if I see a book on the table at B&N and it has a catchy cover I al likely to pick it up and read it.  This book would not be one that I would pick up because of the cover.  I also must say that I am confused as to how the cover, especially the bust, fits in with the story line.  This question just adds to my sense of the author taking way too long to get to the actual story.  I keep anticipating the bust to mean something but so far it has not played into the story at all.  Cover along with the story need serious work.
Go Cubs Go!
Frequent Contributor
ELee
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

krb2g wrote:
I might be too picky, but I don't think the moths go very well with the statue from a strictly visual point of view. That is to say, it looks at the moment like a bad photo-shop job, like someone took a picture of a statue, found a few moths and just copy and pasted them in. I agree with Runnybabbit620 that the images look pixellated (although I was assuming that we are getting a draft of the cover as well as a draft of the text, and that they'll neaten things up before they sell the book).

I'm also having a hard time fitting the statue in with the story generally. This cover reminds me of the birdgirl statue on the cover of Berendt's Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, but as I recall (at least from the movie) that statue is actually located in Savannah, and its cemetery plays a role in the plot.

I agree with your summation of the cover.  The insects do not look natural on the cover. They do look as if they were pasted on maybe a after thought.

I agree with other posters that it would make more sense to use moths on the cover rather than butterflies.  I like the sepia tones (reminiscent of an old photograph).  I suppose the marble bust could have some association with Ginny, who was stone-like emotionally and had set-in-stone methods of living her life.  If random objects are going to be used rather than a theme, why not include a few dominoes and a timepiece of some sort?

SJ
Contributor
SJ
0 Kudos

I have to say when I first opened the package my first thought went to Silence of the Lambs.  I think another reader also pointed this out.  Thank goodness the moth isn't over the mouth of the statue.  The cover almost has a supernatural feel, like a vampire or graveyard shadow.  It's not warm and fuzzy let's put it that way.  It's hard to say whether I would pick it up off the new release stand to read the sleeve.  I do enjoy a cover you can make reference to and draw an atmosphere from.  Let's see where this one leads.
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Exactly! Rugbugcr - you should get a job as cover designer,lol. Your idea hints of anticipation and  intrigue and would be much more of a lure than the present cover.
Kaye

Rugbugcr wrote:
I think a better cover might be of an older silhouette hidden in the shadows looking out the window of the second floor of the home.  Maybe out the window it could show a car arriving.  I just don't think the current cover does the book any justice and wouldn't bring bookshelf appeal.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

krb2g wrote: I agree with Runnybabbit620 that the images look pixellated (although I was assuming that we are getting a draft of the cover as well as a draft of the text, and that they'll neaten things up before they sell the book).

I agree.

I'm guessing the images will be smoothed out on the final cover.

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Frequent Contributor
kmensing
0 Kudos

I haven't decided my opinion of the cover yet.  Are they butterflies or moths?  What does the bust represent?  I would have liked a pic of the mansion.  But--if I saw this book in the store, I would definately pick it up out of curiosity & read the back.  And after reading the back, I know I would have bought the book.
Reader
lbigal
0 Kudos

When I received the book I found the cover to be rather interesting in an odd sort of way.
Now that I have completed the book I find it suits the story quite well and I think it represents Ginny's
character.
Children are made readers on the laps of their parents. Emilie Buchwald
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

BookSavage wrote:
I am one of those people that if I see a book on the table at B&N and it has a catchy cover I al likely to pick it up and read it.  This book would not be one that I would pick up because of the cover.  I also must say that I am confused as to how the cover, especially the bust, fits in with the story line.  This question just adds to my sense of the author taking way too long to get to the actual story.  I keep anticipating the bust to mean something but so far it has not played into the story at all.  Cover along with the story need serious work.

Yes, the only thing that I think the present cover relates to is, lifelessness or not living. But you are right, someone said about the car and a woman getting out of the car looking out the upstairs window. That is great. Everybody would read it then. I know, if I saw that I would read it. But this cover, I would past in a heartbeat and also those butterflies,moths on the front cover look gawdy to the black and white Bust.
Frequent Contributor
nhawkinsII
0 Kudos

In my opinion the book cover delivers a visual message of formality, stoicism and rigidity with the marble female bust.  The only life in this image is the color of the moths.  

However, if I look closely, the expression of the bust seemed sad...shy...lonely.  And as I read the book, it seems to depict the story of Ginny and her family very well. 

And in the case of a book purchase, I always check the back cover of a paperback or the back flap of the book I am selecting.  If the story line is interesting, I'm hooked!:
Correspondent
SandyS
0 Kudos

I agree.  The cover looks like a bad photo-shop job.  The moths appear to be glued on to a cover that doesn't seem to fit the story (at least through Chapter 5).

SandyS

krb2g wrote:
I might be too picky, but I don't think the moths go very well with the statue from a strictly visual point of view. That is to say, it looks at the moment like a bad photo-shop job, like someone took a picture of a statue, found a few moths and just copy and pasted them in. I agree with Runnybabbit620 that the images look pixellated (although I was assuming that we are getting a draft of the cover as well as a draft of the text, and that they'll neaten things up before they sell the book).

jed
Contributor
jed
0 Kudos

The cover could work if it was cleaned up. The bust should moved up on the cover to approximately the middle and the neck shadows need to be cleaned up some. Get rid of the moths/butterflies. Pay attention to appropriately sized and balanced graphics for the title, author, etc. The current cover is an artistic mess.
Contributor
tigger27
0 Kudos

I agree with everyone else so far about the cover.  I don't think I would give it a second glance.  My first impression is a story of the Roman or Greek time period.  I'm not into history so I would pass it up.  Maybe the cover could have some of the moths like in Ginny and the family's display cases (with the pins in the moth).  With a camera angle showing two moths up close but able to see the rest of the display in the background.  Showing sister moths?
Contributor
KiimC_8741
0 Kudos

I also agree that the cover doesn't do much to catch my attention - I'm not sure how it fits in with the story and I have finished the book.

Maybe a picture of the house would be more apt to drawn you in

Contributor
BethD
0 Kudos

I'm clearly in the minority here, but I like the cover.  I find it haunting and intriguing, and it would definitely be something I'd pick up in the store to check out the back.  According the blurb on the back, Ginny is somewhat sinister, which is a vibe I get from the cover.  I really like the type font and the point size.  I agree with the earlier poster who said the pixilateed images most likely would be cleaned up for publication.  This is one of the nicer Advance Reader's Editions I've seen, I think the publishing house did an excellent job with it.
Frequent Contributor
mrsvaljones
0 Kudos

Like most, the cover does not encourage me to pick up the book from the thousands of other options I have available. I am one of those people who truly choses a book by the cover. I will walk into B&N and usually purchase 2-3 random books based on the cover to read. I obviously do read books other than the randoms. I think the main issue with me, is that the title, the dark colors of the cover and the seemly misplaced butterflies/moths do not seem exciting. I have not read the entire book, so maybe the cover will make more sense as I read along further, but strictly from a book buyers perspective, I would not purchase this book based on the cover, but more importantly I would not even pick this book up or give it a second glance.

On a side note, the title The Sisters does not intrigue me because I do not have a sister, but might entice someone who does have a sister.
Valerie Jones
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams..." -Dr. Seuss
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss the Cover (COMPARE WITH THE UK)

AVOID LINK IF CONCERNED ABOUT POTENTIAL SPOILERS (Depends on your definition -- just be cautious if of especial concern.)

http://tinyurl.com/2lf863

Does have a picture of the cover in the UK, which I think is much more clever than the cover on the ARC.

For goodness sakes, let the figures be moths rather than butterflies! We have seen they can be quite as beautiful. (I can't tell on the UK version for certain that moths have been used.)

If I buy books based on their covers, I am largely unaware of it. I rely heavily on descriptions, referrals, reviews, and perusing the text.
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

I also thought the UK cover was lovely and quite an intelligent design.

I usually don't buy fiction unless I've already read it once and loved it or I know it will be useful to my research/future life as a reader [for example, so many people told me that I had to read Atonement that I broke down and bought it] or I absolutely trust the author or it's ordered for a class--and in that case the cover does matter (I tend to buy the Vintage editions of Faulkner or Willa Cather so they will match the other books by that author on my bookshelf; also I am usually looking for a well-edited edition so I will be able to cite confidently later).

I do select some books to read by going to my local bookstore and browsing, especially the selections picked out and set up on tables. Those books that look visually interesting, have a good title, and intriguing blurbs on the back go onto my "to be read" list, and I check them out of the library sooner or later.

Peppermill wrote:
Does have a picture of the cover in the UK, which I think is much more clever than the cover on the ARC.
If I buy books based on their covers, I am largely unaware of it. I rely heavily on descriptions, referrals, reviews, and perusing the text.

Frequent Contributor
reddoglady
0 Kudos

I don't buy books for their covers -- usually the title catches my interest and then I read the back -- I also return to favorite authors and books recommended by friends -- I don't quite get what the statue has to do with the story -- it looks like the butterflies were added as an afterthought -- just my opinion --
KxBurns
0 Kudos

BethD wrote:
I'm clearly in the minority here, but I like the cover.  I find it haunting and intriguing, and it would definitely be something I'd pick up in the store to check out the back.  According the blurb on the back, Ginny is somewhat sinister, which is a vibe I get from the cover.  I really like the type font and the point size.  I agree with the earlier poster who said the pixilateed images most likely would be cleaned up for publication.  This is one of the nicer Advance Reader's Editions I've seen, I think the publishing house did an excellent job with it.

I agree, Beth -- I like it too! But I tend not to need my covers to be too closely related to what's inside. I prefer to just get an impression or a feel for the tone of the book, and I think this cover is successful on that front.

But Peppermill, I LOVE the UK cover!!
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 206 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: