Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
dumlao_n
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss the Cover

I like the paper used for the cover. It's not a high shine material like The House of Riverton where my fingerprints would stick to the cover. I like the colors and the idea of the statue that could be seen in the gardens at Bulburrow Court. But it is also a mystery to what the title means and what sister is the title about? What about changing the butterflies to moths? After all that would make more sense with the story.
Frequent Contributor
mwinasu
0 Kudos

You should use a picture of the house on the cover.  Maybe one of the specimen rooms?
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss the Cover SPOILER ALERT---reference to Chapter 13

Thayer wrote:
I think the bust on the cover is a reference to Chapter 13 when Vivi says that Ginny is "playing at statues." She says that Ginny does the "absence thing" and becomes "still as a statue." Ginny claims that this form of "concentration" is her "only natural gift."

i think that was a very astute observation. ginny seems so clinical and has so few emotional reactions that she seems also, for the most part, as cold as a statue.
twj
Contributor
dewgirl
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

Thayer wrote:
I think the bust on the cover is a reference to Chapter 13 when Vivi says that Ginny is "playing at statues." She says that Ginny does the "absence thing" and becomes "still as a statue." Ginny claims that this form of "concentration" is her "only natural gift."

I thought the exact thing when Vivi said "You're playing statues again" that maybe the statue on the cover was to represent Ginny.
Correspondent
detailmuse
0 Kudos

It's interesting that so many of us question whether it's butterflies on the cover. (In the ask-the-editor thread, the editor insists they're moths.)

It seems that the most basic take-away from a moth-heavy novel would have been to learn the difference between moths and butterflies, and that moths can be colorful. Useful info, too.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

The cover does not do much for me. Who are the butterflies when two big moths lived in the house: Clive and Ginny. What does the Grecian bust represent (is it supposed to represent the long legacy in the home). Let us be frank; the cover is bad. I am hoping that a good graphic artist or someone in media can help this book get some attention. I know you should not judge a book by its cover. But many just might.
Contributor
rstjm4
0 Kudos

I don't really like the cover or the title of the book. I am one of those who if a cover or title grabs my attention I will read the back to find out what it is about. Based on the cover I would have walked right by. I realize after reading the book that the darkness of the cover fits the story, but I am still not sure how the bust fits into the story. I think the bust is supposed to be Ginny, but it just doesn't fit well to me.
Reader 2
Etimoldi322
0 Kudos

Hi,

The cover seemed drab an unartistic. I could not figure out the significance of the bust. The photo appearing
like a tin type, would indicate age and  a much earlier period . So far the only connection I see is the moths/
butterflies.
Frequent Contributor
lamorgan
0 Kudos

I'm not particularly fond of the cover. Often, the cover is what attracts me a book. This one would have stopped me from even picking the book up. I do like the title, however, as I'm always intrigued by books about relationships and "The Sister" would have drawn me to the book.
New User
AuntiK
0 Kudos

I don't care for the cover. I am guessing that the bust has to do with all the antiques in the house that Ginny has been selling off. I think a picture of framed, pinned moths would have been better. I like the black and tan of the background. It adds a little drama.
Inspired Correspondent
nfam
0 Kudos

This cover is quite somber. I guess the publisher decided that it would go with the story, but I don't find it interesting. I wouldn't pick up the book because of the cover. I don't get the reason for the bust, although the moths are quite obviousl
Reader 2
MACmjc
0 Kudos

krb2g wrote:
I'm also having a hard time fitting the statue in with the story generally. This cover reminds me of the birdgirl statue on the cover of Berendt's Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, but as I recall (at least from the movie) that statue is actually located in Savannah, and its cemetery plays a role in the plot.

I agree and thought the very same when I saw this book cover. It very much brings thoughts of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. I haven't finished the book yet, but it made me think there will be a murder. Of course the title didn't leave the same impression.

Frequent Contributor
Jennd1
0 Kudos

The cover strikes me as dark, and perhaps a bit mysterious. I wonder if there are not butterflies and moths on the cover (one to represent each sister, the social butterfly and the plain moth.) I think the statue could be part of the history of the house ,but we will never know.

Jenn D
Frequent Contributor
shelley727
0 Kudos

I'm usually drawn to a cover or the title.  This one didn't do that for me.  I wasn't too keen on the cover photo & wasn't sure I wanted to read the book.  I'm sure glad I changed my mind about that.  I would have missed out!  I have changed my mind about the cover and/or title when looking for books to read.  
Shelley
Shelley
Frequent Contributor
BookSavage
0 Kudos

I must say after finishing the book and reflecting on it for a while, I still don't see why this was the cover design that was chosen.  I really don't see how the bust on the cover really represents what the story is about.  But then again, I don't think the synopsis on the back is very accurate either.
Go Cubs Go!
Frequent Contributor
cocospals
0 Kudos

If I saw this cover in the bookstore, I would probably pass right by it. Bland, did nothing to get my attention. Would prefer something that would reflect sisterhood, maybe old photographs of young sisters and then a picture of two elderly sisters together on top of the others similar to how it would be if you were looking thru a pile of old photos.
Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there - John Wooden
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Well, it just occurred to me.

If the meaning of the cover is ambiguous, isn't that entirely appropriate for this book?

COCOSPALS wrote:
If I saw this cover in the bookstore, I would probably pass right by it. Bland, did nothing to get my attention. Would prefer something that would reflect sisterhood, maybe old photographs of young sisters and then a picture of two elderly sisters together on top of the others similar to how it would be if you were looking thru a pile of old photos.

Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: