Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
bookfan08
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss the Cover

I was intrigued by the moths on the cover. I am unsure about the statue. Does this have something to do with the sisters?
Frequent Contributor
dghobbs
0 Kudos

I really don't think the cover tells us much. I also find it a bit dull. :smileyhappy:doug
Contributor
AmyEJ
0 Kudos

After reading Chap. 13, I'm assuming the bust on the cover is some reference to Ginny.  At least that's what I took away from the passage where Vivi is trying to talk to Ginny and she says that Ginny is "playing statues again," and she says that Ginny didn't move for 15 minutes.  Anyway, the word "statue" is mentioned a couple of times in that context (p. 135-36), and it made me think of the cover.  I don't know if that's what was intended, but it provided some concrete link in my mind.  From that you could probably find other similarities between Ginny and the statute at a more metaphorical level, I suppose.  I had liked the cover before finding any sort of link, though.  I thought it created a sense of mystery. 
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss the Cover (COMPARE WITH THE UK)

The cover is a nice one, but with that title I probably would not even have picked it up.

Peppermill wrote:

AVOID LINK IF CONCERNED ABOUT POTENTIAL SPOILERS (Depends on your definition -- just be cautious if of especial concern.)

http://tinyurl.com/2lf863

Does have a picture of the cover in the UK, which I think is much more clever than the cover on the ARC.

For goodness sakes, let the figures be moths rather than butterflies! We have seen they can be quite as beautiful. (I can't tell on the UK version for certain that moths have been used.)

If I buy books based on their covers, I am largely unaware of it. I rely heavily on descriptions, referrals, reviews, and perusing the text.

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

My thoughts exactly. And remember, her last name is Stone.

AmyEJ wrote:
After reading Chap. 13, I'm assuming the bust on the cover is some reference to Ginny. At least that's what I took away from the passage where Vivi is trying to talk to Ginny and she says that Ginny is "playing statues again," and she says that Ginny didn't move for 15 minutes. Anyway, the word "statue" is mentioned a couple of times in that context (p. 135-36), and it made me think of the cover. I don't know if that's what was intended, but it provided some concrete link in my mind. From that you could probably find other similarities between Ginny and the statute at a more metaphorical level, I suppose. I had liked the cover before finding any sort of link, though. I thought it created a sense of mystery.

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
READERJANE
0 Kudos

The art work on the cover really needs something more. It doesn't really catch the essence of  the book. Maybe something as simple as double image of the statue to refect the break with reality that Ginny seems to have.
Frequent Contributor
READERJANE
0 Kudos

I love the UK cover also, it creates an illusion of "batting yourself out of a swsarm of moths". You know a cloudy disorientation. Prehaps this is what is going on in Ginny's mind.
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

I agree MG. I would not buy the book with the cover it has - unless I knew what it was about already. I just saw the "house" picture and thought what a great cover it would have made.
Contributor
womanryter
0 Kudos

The cover doesn't do much for me.  I love butterflies and anything reflective of old homes/heritage, and the bust makes me think it's in a house or a fancy yard.

The bust seems to be of a young woman, and I'd guess she was cast to remember a certain year of her life, or a special moment in her life.  Instead of a photograph, she had the honor of having a bust made.  And that would reflect a wealthy family.  It looks like a fancy veil on her head, so I'm thinking this is a bust of a woman on her wedding day.

The cover intuits non-fiction to me and it's not one that would catch my attention on a book shelf.

Perhaps as I read more I'll have a better idea of what/who this represents and why it was chosen, but for now, this is all I have.

-Lisa
Lisa Haselton

http://lisahaselton.tripod.com
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

KxBurns wrote:

I agree, Beth -- I like it too! But I tend not to need my covers to be too closely related to what's inside. I prefer to just get an impression or a feel for the tone of the book, and I think this cover is successful on that front.

But Peppermill, I LOVE the UK cover!!

I love looking at covers and that's what gets my attention first. That isn't what determines if I'll get it but it does determine if I'll pick it up in the first place. It doesn't matter to me either if it's closely related to the story. I've read some great books that have had terrible covers. I prefer a good one and I'm sure the author does as well but it's not necessary. I haven't finished reading the story yet but I like the UK version with the American title. The cover we have seems a bit bland to me as well but that's just my personal taste. The UK title reminds me of a textbook not a novel.

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

It's not that I don't like the ARC cover, but I like the UK version better, it would make me pick up the book and read the synopsis.  I'm not sure that the ARC cover would attract my attention. 

And I love this idea:

Rugbugcr wrote:
I think a better cover might be of an older silhouette hidden in the shadows looking out the window of the second floor of the home.  Maybe out the window it could show a car arriving.  I just don't think the current cover does the book any justice and wouldn't bring bookshelf appeal.

Frequent Contributor
bookhunter
0 Kudos

I was book browsing today and made myself especially take note of what covers caught my attention.  Really, it wasn't the covers so much as the TITLES and then the cover--then how both worked together.

And I am not thrilled with this title.  It doesn't lead me in any particular direction or tell me anything about the story.  I think The Behavior of Moths with THIS cover might catch my eye.  The marble bust would let me know that is was not really  about moths.  I like the art design of the UK cover, but with the Moth title, I might mistake it for a textbook!

Did I read somewhere that the title was at one time The Time of Emergence or something like that?  I like that.

Ann, bookhunter
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

The Time of Emergence  Now there is a title that would get my attention.
Kaye

bookhunter wrote:
I was book browsing today and made myself especially take note of what covers caught my attention.  Really, it wasn't the covers so much as the TITLES and then the cover--then how both worked together.

And I am not thrilled with this title.  It doesn't lead me in any particular direction or tell me anything about the story.  I think The Behavior of Moths with THIS cover might catch my eye.  The marble bust would let me know that is was not really  about moths.  I like the art design of the UK cover, but with the Moth title, I might mistake it for a textbook!

Did I read somewhere that the title was at one time The Time of Emergence or something like that?  I like that.

Ann, bookhunter

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff
0 Kudos

The cover definitely has a mysterious context to it. I know many people think the moths seem out of place, but maybe they are pictured as they are because they are more alive than any of the people in the book. Just a thought.

Mike
Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Contributor
runnybabbit620
0 Kudos

So, the bust on the front cover is Titus Sorrell, the man who turned around Crewkerne's ailing economy in the mid-19th century.  Even so, why exactly is it on the cover of the book?  What significance does he have with Ginny and her family in Bulburrow Court?  It's not even the same Titus as the Titus mentioned in the wikipedia link for the Chapter 14-16 discussions.  (And the Titus mentioned only took up about 1 page.)  I understand that the family had many antiques, but a bust such as this was never mentioned and has NOTHING to do with the story.  I say, if it has nothing substantial to do with the book, then scap it.

Frequent Contributor
FrankieD
0 Kudos

Generally when I select a book to read I am drawn by the cover first and then read the back and any inner flaps. This particular cover gives an interesting look...and I can't tell if it's a statue...a photo of a statue...or perhaps a rflection in an old mirror??? I'm not sure if the cover would have gotten me to go any further...but if I'd read the back and the first page letter as well I think I would have selected the book because I like first books and the storyline caught me.
So...my first impression is a dark self-likeness on the part of the narrator and colorful moths that are the only bright spot in her life. I've been very busy these past few days with"family" issues and have just finished chapter 9 and so far I haven't changed my mind about the cover.
                                                                   FrankieD :smileyhappy:
" The longer I live...the more beautiful life becomes."
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

i do not like the cover on several levels. first, it doesn't invite me into the book; second, the bust is really not of an appealing figure; third, i think the colors are dull except for the butterflies; fourth, i would probably not be interested in the book if it was just the cover enticing me. however, i love reading and in the end, i did enjoy the book although i found it a bit tedious to read, at times. maybe the cover is supposed to indicate that.
twjvery-happy smiley
Correspondent
Rosei
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I love this book cover. As we can see there are a butterfly and a moth around the statue and, personally, that represents the two sisters trying to made history on the house and family tradition. Statues are a symbol of permanence, importance and property and I think that both Ginny and Vivi are fighting for that. It's interesting because it makes us think who'd be the butterfly and who'd be the moth.

Message Edited by Rosei on 03-09-2008 11:59 PM
Frequent Contributor
niknak13
0 Kudos

I agree that the cover is not very "attention grabbing."  I can think of 5 people off the top of my head that have told me that they will pick up a book because the cover looks interesting or beautiful or exciting, etc.  Using the moths is a great idea, but maybe if they were more the focus of the cover?  Or using an enlarged portion of a moth's wing along with something else (maybe the bust being an image that is faintly in front or behind an enlarged moth)?

I would not pick this up off the shelf based on the current cover (at least not over things that I have seen at the local bookstore lately).
Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

Re: Discuss the Cover SPOILER ALERT---reference to Chapter 13

I think the bust on the cover is a reference to Chapter 13 when Vivi says that Ginny is "playing at statues." She says that Ginny does the "absence thing" and becomes "still as a statue." Ginny claims that this form of "concentration" is her "only natural gift."
~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Users Online
Currently online: 36 members 266 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: