Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
2614-Judy_
0 Kudos

Re: How to Get Your Free Reading Copy and Enroll in the Discussion

Hi Maria, Are people living abroad at FPO (US military base/embassy) addresses eligible for this program. We have US addresses (domestic postage rates), but need the books to be sent airmail (rather than media mail or parcel post) in order to receive them in a timely fashion. Judy
Contributor
Lady_Graeye
0 Kudos

I am trying to sign up for a free copy and the discussion but I am not sure who to put down as the "user" to send it to??? I love this book!!! Please sign me up! Lisa
"You Can Never Own Too Many Books; It's Just Not Possible!!!"
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Lady_Graeye wrote:
I am trying to sign up for a free copy and the discussion but I am not sure who to put down as the "user" to send it to??? I love this book!!! Please sign me up! Lisa

Lady, if you go to that post and click on #2, a private message will pop up with the "send to another user" already filled in with "Editor FirstLook", then you put in the subject what it says to put and then put your name, address and phone number in the message body. Thats all you have to do, it will go to who its suppose to. Did you use the pm from that post? It will work, kind of a self addressed pm. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
New User
prettypinkprincess09
0 Kudos

im a new user and i just signedup today so i have no clue how to do any of this.
tigerfan4ever
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Maria_H wrote:

1. Sign in
If you are not signed into your book club account, please sign in here. This is important. If you don't sign in, you will not be able to request a book.

If you are not a registered book club user, you can register here. It's easy, and it's free. But you'll have to "verify" your email address before you can go any further.

2. Submit your information
Now that you are signed into your account, click here and enter the following information as described below:

Subject --

Your Message --
(your name)
(your mailing address, including zip)
(your daytime telephone number)

Click "Send Message"

Do not include any other text in your message and please be sure to give us all the information required. You'll receive confirmation of your enrollment via PM. It may take a few days before you get your confirmation, so please be patient. Once you get your confirmation, be sure to go to the Welcome thread and introduce yourself!

These ARCs are limited and are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. We will stop taking requests once we run out.

CLICK HERE to see the original version of this (with active links).

Some of you have had questions about the sign up process. Once you have signed into your account, proceed to the CLICK HERE portion of #2. This will activate a pop up private message (PM) in which you should submit the information we require. This message has already been addressed to the appropriate private message box, so please do not add other user names to this message.

As we pointed out, it may take several days to process your enrollment, so please be patient for your confirmation PM.

Click here to go to the original message with active links.

Thanks!

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

2614-Judy_ wrote:
Hi Maria, Are people living abroad at FPO (US military base/embassy) addresses eligible for this program. We have US addresses (domestic postage rates), but need the books to be sent airmail (rather than media mail or parcel post) in order to receive them in a timely fashion. Judy

Hi Judy,

Yes -- please send your registration in, we'll do our best to get the arc into your hands as quickly as we can!

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Frequent Contributor
Frank_n_beans
0 Kudos

Hi there-

I'm new here and I just signed up for this club yesterday. Just wondering..how long has it taken other folks to get their confirmation? 1 days? 2 days? Also, can we assume that since the sign up option is still available, that we will be in the club if we signed up correctly?

Thanks so much!

Mrs. Frank & Beans
Frequent Contributor
Aunt_Beth_64
0 Kudos

How many participants?

Maria or Karen-

Can you tell us how many participants will be allowed to join this discussion? How does this number compare to "Monsters" and "House at Riverton"?

Thanks!
Beth
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Those instructions are very helpful, but there are two possible glitches that aren't mentioned.

One: to sign up, you need to have Private Messages enabled in your profile. This is the default, I believe, so new users will have them automatically enabled (is this correct?), but if they have somehow gotten disenabled, the sign-up won't work, will it?

Two: if a user's browser is set to block pop-ups, the Private Message box may never show up. Users must allow pop-ups from the BN website.

Maria_H wrote:

Maria_H wrote:

1. Sign in
If you are not signed into your book club account, please sign in here. This is important. If you don't sign in, you will not be able to request a book.

If you are not a registered book club user, you can register here. It's easy, and it's free. But you'll have to "verify" your email address before you can go any further.

2. Submit your information
Now that you are signed into your account, click here and enter the following information as described below:

Subject --

Your Message --
(your name)
(your mailing address, including zip)
(your daytime telephone number)

Click "Send Message"

Do not include any other text in your message and please be sure to give us all the information required. You'll receive confirmation of your enrollment via PM. It may take a few days before you get your confirmation, so please be patient. Once you get your confirmation, be sure to go to the Welcome thread and introduce yourself!

These ARCs are limited and are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. We will stop taking requests once we run out.

CLICK HERE to see the original version of this (with active links).

Some of you have had questions about the sign up process. Once you have signed into your account, proceed to the CLICK HERE portion of #2. This will activate a pop up private message (PM) in which you should submit the information we require. This message has already been addressed to the appropriate private message box, so please do not add other user names to this message.

As we pointed out, it may take several days to process your enrollment, so please be patient for your confirmation PM.

Click here to go to the original message with active links.

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Frank_n_beans wrote:
Hi there-

I'm new here and I just signed up for this club yesterday. Just wondering..how long has it taken other folks to get their confirmation? 1 days? 2 days? Also, can we assume that since the sign up option is still available, that we will be in the club if we signed up correctly?

Thanks so much!

Mrs. Frank & Beans

Hey Mrs. Frank lol,
Yeah, if you signed up correctly, you should hear in a day or two and I would assume if you still can sign up, your pretty sure to be included,or they would disable it and say its full or something similar to what they have done on the last two. So, if you sent your pm (private message) to them with your info on it, you should hear shortly. Welcome to the clubs, have a look around at the book discussions for Feb too and see you in March if not sooner. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
Frank_n_beans
0 Kudos

Hi Vivian,

Great-thanks for letting me know! And I'm definitely going to look around at the other boards..I'm so happy to have found this site. It seems like there are a lot of great people here and I think I'll really enjoy reading and being a part of the discussions. :smileyhappy:
Contributor
sherdlan
0 Kudos

I am looking forward to getting the book and joining in on the book club. This is all new to me. I am wanting to make some changes in my life and this is one place I want to begin.
3Js
New User
3Js
0 Kudos

Well, I agree with all others that tried to CLICK HERE and submit our address, telephone #'s and personal information, it doesn't work. I would like a Free Advance Copy of the Book but can't seem to "get through". Maybe we can do this when we are accepted. HELP.
Dilly Dally Sally
Dilly Dally Sally
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Frank_n_beans wrote:
Hi Vivian,

Great-thanks for letting me know! And I'm definitely going to look around at the other boards..I'm so happy to have found this site. It seems like there are a lot of great people here and I think I'll really enjoy reading and being a part of the discussions. :smileyhappy:

Yeah, but today you WILL be watching the New England Patriots, right???? Are you in the Boston area? I hope you have Brown Bread with your frank n beans. We can even get it here in Fl. Must be a lot of transplants besides us. Lol

kaye
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Check your profile and make sure "Private Messages" is enabled in your options and that your browser will allow a pop-up (you can also right click on the "click here" link and select "open in new window" - that can get around a pop-up blocker).

3Js wrote:
Well, I agree with all others that tried to CLICK HERE and submit our address, telephone #'s and personal information, it doesn't work. I would like a Free Advance Copy of the Book but can't seem to "get through". Maybe we can do this when we are accepted. HELP.
Dilly Dally Sally

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Contributor
Lady_Graeye
0 Kudos

Thanks Vivico1! I think I did it right this time, I hope it works. I really do appreicate the help! This book looks so good, I can't wait to get a coppy! Thanks again, Lady_Graeye
"You Can Never Own Too Many Books; It's Just Not Possible!!!"
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Lady_Graeye wrote:
Thanks Vivico1! I think I did it right this time, I hope it works. I really do appreicate the help! This book looks so good, I can't wait to get a coppy! Thanks again, Lady_Graeye

np, we all got to help each other out right? :smileywink:
Vivian
Reader
Kriss
0 Kudos

maurasminis wrote:
Hi all,

I still have not gotten a PM back, and when I check my sent messages it says "status not yet read". I read on another thread that people are getting confirmations so how exactly does this work? I sent mine off on Jan 30 and today is Feb 1.

We're off now for Mardi Gras break (Mobile AL) so I may not check messages after today for a few days...

Maura

Hi, I am new to this. I am not sure if I am doing any of this right. I think I signed up for The Sister right, but I have not gotten a confirmation yet. Can someone help me?? Thanks!
"The greatest gift is a passion for reading. It is cheap, it consoles, it distracts, it excites, it gives you the knowledge of the world and experience of a wide kind. It is a moral illumination"
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Kriss wrote:

Hi, I am new to this. I am not sure if I am doing any of this right. I think I signed up for The Sister right, but I have not gotten a confirmation yet. Can someone help me?? Thanks!

If you clicked on the link provided here with the first notice and got a popup pm "private message" and filled in the subject and the message body with your information and clicked sent, you should be fine. If you check your pm's, the little envelope at the right top, white if no messages, yellow if you have a message, but click on it anyway, and then click on your sent box, you should see your message you sent there. If it is still in bold print, they just havent been able to read it yet, if its lighter grey, its been read, if you click on it, it will even say when it was read. Once it is read, you should get your confirmation, which will be in a pm within a day or so. :smileywink:
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
Frank_n_beans
0 Kudos

Kaye-

I sure did watch the Patriots and I am still depressed over the outcome! My entire family was so tense watching the game- my husband had to leave the room! If only it had turned out differently, we'd be able to enjoy a nice parade in Beantown tomorrow. :smileysad:

Maybe next year...
Users Online
Currently online: 26 members 272 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: