Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

Re: How to Get Your Free Reading Copy and Enroll in the Discussion

No, The Grapes of Wrath have passed. hahahha!
Grapes
Reader
Jimybell
0 Kudos

HI, I'm Jimybell. Just introducing myself. This is my first time joining a book club.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Jimybell wrote:
HI, I'm Jimybell. Just introducing myself. This is my first time joining a book club.

Welcome Jimybell, glad you have joined our club. Is this your first "first look" book club? I love these wonderful books and they are free! This is my second one.
Reader
Jimybell
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
This is my first First Look book club. I can't figure out how to quote from other replies.

Message Edited by Jimybell on 02-11-2008 01:19 AM
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Jimybell wrote: I can't figure out how to quote from other replies.

Welcome to the club, Jimybell!

To quote from the post to which you are replying to, after you click the "reply" button, you will be brought to a page where you can type your response. In the upper right of the response box, there is a "quote post" button. Just click on that and your response, when posted, will include the post your quoting from. Feel free to shorten the quote to the parts you are addressing. You can see what your post will look like by clicking the "preview post" button.

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Contributor
olivia-yasmin
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I believe I am part of this group but have no idea what a PM is to respond to. I have not recieved a copy of the book nor at any point have I been asked for my shipping address.

I am still very interested in participating. What should I do? I will understand if it doesn't work out. I am more interested in figuring what I have done (or not done) so I can assure my future participation.

Message Edited by olivia-yasmin on 02-11-2008 11:31 PM
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

olivia-yasmin wrote:
I believe I am part of this group but have no idea what a PM is to respond to. I have not recieved a copy of the book nor at any point have I been asked for my shipping address.

I am still very interested in participating. What should I do?

Hopefully I can help you. If anyone else can give better information, please feel free.

In order to participate, you needed to complete a form when the book club was open to enrollment. Books and membership were open for a limited time and while a limited number of books was available at a first come, first serve basis. Unfortunately it has already closed.

Hopefully you filled out a request. To find out if you were accepted into the group, you will receive a PM (Private Message). To check for a PM - be sure you are logged into the book club, look in the upper right hand area of the page and you will see an envelope icon. If the icon is Yellow and you see an indication of a number of messages, click on the yellow envelope and it will take you to your messages. Another way to check for messages is to double-click your "dashboard", located at the top of your booklist page (you'll see: ID, Logout, My Profile, Dashboard, Help).

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Message Edited by blkeyesuzi on 02-11-2008 08:33 PM
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Contributor
olivia-yasmin
0 Kudos

If the icon is Yellow and you see an indication of a number of messages, click on the yellow envelope and it will take you to your messages.

If I did not respond immediately to the post, does it disappear?
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

olivia-yasmin wrote:
If the icon is Yellow and you see an indication of a number of messages, click on the yellow envelope and it will take you to your messages.

The post is the first message on this thread, thats the post, its there but so is the one saying its closed now. If you mean, will a PM disappear, they stay until you delete them but as Suzi said, enrollment is closed. To enroll, you would have had to do as she mentioned, go to that first post on this link, click on where it said to, which would have given you a pm (private message) to fill out and that post said what to put on it. If you did not fill out a PM with your info on it there, you wont be getting one saying you are in because they did not receive a request from you, so it didnt disappear, it was never there. It was on the first post to sign in and THEN they would have sent you one saying you are in. If you had registered, in your pm's under the sent tab, you would see yours there but it doesnt sound like you ever did that. Sorry.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

olivia-yasmin wrote:

no, they don't disappear until you erase them.
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
New User
bethany9529
0 Kudos

Hi, everyone... I just signed up for the book club, and the "first look book"... if I got a message saying that my arc will be shipped in February, does that mean that I am one of the people that will be getting the book? Sorry for the dumb question, but I saw that not everyone that that signed up would actually get one of the books. Thanks!! :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

I don't know, Bethany. I hope to get a copy. If I read the message right, I will receive a copy. I don't want to be presumptuous. Then, find myself disappointed if the book doesn't come. When will the books go out in the mail?
Grapes
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Yup - if you received a message saying your ARC will ship in February you are in the club! :smileyhappy: The editors will let us know when the books go out (everything comes by UPS).

bethany9529 wrote:
Hi, everyone... I just signed up for the book club, and the "first look book"... if I got a message saying that my arc will be shipped in February, does that mean that I am one of the people that will be getting the book? Sorry for the dumb question, but I saw that not everyone that that signed up would actually get one of the books. Thanks!! :smileyhappy:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
When a First Look club is open for enrollment, the enrollment thread will have a post that says "Click Here" - that link brings up the Private Message, aka PM, window and you can fill in your name, address, etc. so the ARC can be sent to you. Never post your personal information in the threads because this site is open to the World Wide Web and anyone can read the posts (trust me, they come up in Google searches). You also need to make sure that the PM function is enabled.

Keep your eyes on the Announcements (at the top of the "All Book Clubs" page next to Help Topics) to see when the next First Look book will be announced.

olivia-yasmin wrote:

I am still very interested in participating. What should I do? I will understand if it doesn't work out. I am more interested in figuring what I have done (or not done) so I can assure my future participation.

Message Edited by olivia-yasmin on 02-11-2008 11:31 PM

Message Edited by pedsphleb on 02-12-2008 11:57 AM
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
New User
bethany9529
0 Kudos

YAY! I can't wait for the book to get here... I am running out of new reading material, and it's hard for me to get to the library during the week - I work full time, and I'm a new mom, so things are pretty hectic. Now, if only I could figure out a way to just get the library to send me books... :smileyhappy:
Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
0 Kudos

bethany9529 wrote:
it's hard for me to get to the library during the week - I work full time, and I'm a new mom, so things are pretty hectic. Now, if only I could figure out a way to just get the library to send me books... :smileyhappy:

They used to have a bookmobile here that would stop just a block away from my house. You could request books on-line and they would bring them to you, or you could just browse inside. They no longer do that (the bookmobile), but it was so nice. Now that I actually have to drive to the library, I could buy all the books I borrow with the fines I incur (I also have small children and am full of good intentions like returning my books on time).

However, I can't relate to the lack of reading material. I have 4 book clubs in the next 5 weeks, none of which I've started reading for. If only I could get through the last 150 pages of HDM I could start on the rest. I was just sitting down to chart a rather aggressive reading schedule for myself so that I'm sure to get it all done.

I'm off to find out how many pages The Sister is as it will be top of the list of books to read as I love these discussions!

Amanda
Frequent Contributor
ELee
0 Kudos

It's here!

Got my book today!
Inspired Correspondent
Read-n-Rider
0 Kudos

Re: It's here!

My book arrived today, too.  Hooray!

Joan
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

ELee wrote:
Got my book today!

Mine came as well! 
DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

And once again the wait for those us on the West Coast begins, as the books are gradually driven across the country by UPS ground so half the group is already finished the book before ours arrive. Twas and will be ever thus. Sigh.

DSaff wrote:

ELee wrote:
Got my book today!

Mine came as well!

Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: