Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone!

[ Edited ]
As we come to the close of this discussion, I just want to thank Poppy for giving so much of herself to this book club. It’s a bold and brave feat to submit self and work to feedback from a group of strangers; and then graciously offer considerable time and effort to respond to us. For that, we are extremely grateful!

Thanks to Poppy’s editor, Carole Baron, for the time she spent with us and for giving us so much to think about. And thanks to Poppy’s publishers, Knopf, for providing the opportunity to present a wonderful debut novel to our readers.

As always, enormous thanks to Karen for skillfully leading and guiding us through this discussion.

As for me, though I completed the book months ago, the story and all the possibilities it presented continues to haunt. Reading can so easily become a passive activity, but with The Sister, my assumptions and expectations for what a novel can be has been turned on its head and for that, I am grateful. I look forward to its publication in June.

Maria

Message Edited by Maria_H on 03-28-2008 10:10 AM

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Frequent Contributor
BookSavage
0 Kudos

Re: Thanks everyone!

I would echo your comments.  This was my first FL book, and I was amazed at all the things it provided.  I truly loved this opportunity and all the discussions.  It was a great experience and can't wait for the next one to come around.
Go Cubs Go!
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Thank you Poppy for being with us for this segment of First Look I really enjoyed talking with you and having you answer my many questions. Getting the input of the author has really helped me to enjoy the books we read so much better. So thank you again Poppy for taking time out of you busy schedule to participate in this.
This is my third time and I enjoy it more every time.
Thanks Karen and Maria for being there to keep us all in line and give us support when we need it, I think you do a great job.
Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

I'd like to jump in and add my thanks to Maria, Karen, and B&N for making this experience possible, to Ms. Baron for coming and answering questions, and especially to Ms. Adams for agreeing to share her book with us. Ms. Adams, I know it must be hard to listen to a lot of strangers dissect your writing, and I appreciate the good humor with which you've answered our questions. I am really looking forward to reading your next book.

Best regards,
Katie
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I want to echo the thank-you's! Poppy, it has been a privilege to have you here responding to our thoughts and questions. Best wishes with your book! Karen, thank you so much for your great moderating and the questions you posed. I look forward to more book discussions with you. Maria, thank you for your guidance and words. To my fellow participants - thank you for the discussion, and the time each of you spent here. I look forward to seeing you in other discussion groups! =)
DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
nhawkinsII
0 Kudos

I would like to say thanks for a unique opportunity.  I enjoyed reading The Sister as fast as I could turn the pages...I still find myself thinking about Ginny, Clive, Maud and Vivi...and all the questions I have about their relationships,and our own interactions with others. 

Thank you, Barnes & Noble, for the opportunity...thank you Poppy and Carole for the answers to my questions and a thought-provoking book.
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

Thank you to Poppy for the wonderful book and for answering all our questions (and you too Carole!). Also, thank you B&N for the opportunity to discover and read a new author that I might have otherwise missed.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Poppy,
Thank you so much for coming and being with us, and sticking with us! I write, nothing published, havent tried, but I do know that when you write something, you basically give birth to your baby! Whether its a novel, a history, a poem, what we write carries a part of us in it and it is what came from us when we wrote it, so its very tough to hear people dissect it, put it down, tell you to change this or that. What I write, hey, read it, like it or not, thats ok, but do NOT tell me to change this line or this word, they are mine, they are either thoughts that came right out of my fingertips onto the page or they are very specifically chosen words but I offer it to others to enjoy if they like it, not to change it into something it isnt! I think I would have a very hard time lending my book to a forum such as this, even tho it may help in many ways lol. I think its good for some marketing ideas and knowing who your audience is for the future but I don't think it would be easy. Heck I would have a hard time with just the editors telling me take this out or change it! I think I would just want them to put it out there, it will sale or it wont, dont put me under the microscope for it. So I think you are a lot braver about your writing than I am and I am glad too, because tho there was only one thing that bothered me at all, I really enjoyed this book and I loved the ending. I don't understand all the questions about leaving too many unanswered questions at the end. NOTHNG of importance to the story, to me ,was left unanswered and what was, was perfect! It allowed me to think my own thoughts about what could have been. I may actually have been disappointed with any other answers lol. This was a book to make you think and as in life, nothing is neat and tidy but still to me, the ending WAS AN ending! I could see this as a movie and walk out with tons to discuss about its wow factor with my friend who we meet in a nearby town, once a month for dinner and a movie.

We did a book that drove me nuts because the author told you all the answers to the next couple of chapters before you even read them! I would just start to get interested, and thinking, ok, hmm, wonder where this may be going and BAM! In the next two lines she would tell you where it was going and then spend two chapters backing up and coming back up to it. By the time you got there, you thought,so, you already told me this was what happened, its not too impressive now! Thank you for throwing me for a loop at the end, even tho it was always a possibility, I was not looking for it, but just taking the ride with Ginny as it came to her and so it surprised me and was a great ending.

Good luck with this book and your future ones too. I haven't looked yet, but if you have a website, or when you get one, I will be looking forward to your news. Thanks for joining us. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I would like to send out many thanks to Poppy, Karen, Maria and of course all of the FL junkies, like me.  Your input always open so many portals, your insights always make me think out of the box.  Here a  book is not just a read it's an education, an experience.

Also, I've got to thank Ginney! You  are a memorable character, one I won't soon forget.

Message Edited by Carmenere_lady on 03-28-2008 06:44 PM
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Poppy despite a few minor details, I loved your book and highly recommend it. I just didn't go for the moth information because it was so much killing of them. But the story, it was amazing and written so well. Be waiting for your next one . Hope its soon.    Linda
Correspondent
Rosei
0 Kudos

I loved everything: the book, Poppy's and Carole's kind attention, Barnes and Noble dedication on sending my book weeks before the beginning of discussion, so then I had the precious previous time to read and comment. Mainly of all, I loved the insights, replies to my messages and all members' attention.

Thank you so much!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:
Poppy despite a few minor details, I loved your book and highly recommend it. I just didn't go for the moth information because it was so much killing of them. But the story, it was amazing and written so well. Be waiting for your next one . Hope its soon. Linda

Linda, bless your heart, I know you wouldn't kill a fly. But if the moths aren't killed in the book, and dispassionately, then where is the parallel between that and how Ginny kills her sister?
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Poppy, thanks so much for spending time with us this month.  Your insights enriched the book for me.  Also, thank you to everyone who made this ARC and discussion available to us. 
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Author
Poppy_Adams
0 Kudos

And thanks from me to all of YOU for taking the time to read The Sister and discuss it with me.  I've had a very intense, interesting and fun experience, and the unusual sensation of getting to know some of you only via the written word.  Perhaps one day I'll meet some of you!
Best of luck in everything you do!
Poppy

Learn more about The Sister.
KxBurns
0 Kudos

Thank you, Maria!

Poppy, the level of your participation and your willingness to engage us and discuss our ideas has been outstanding -- thanks so much! Best of luck to you with the book. And many thanks to Carole Baron and the folks at Knopf!

First Look readers, I hope to see you again next time. It has been a pleasure reading your contributions.

Karen
Inspired Correspondent
nfam
0 Kudos

First Look is always an exciting and gratifying experience. Thanks Karen, Poppy, Carol, Maria and all the other readers. I learned a great deal and found the discussion stimulating and at times frustrating. Also thanks to Knofe for making the the ARCs available. ARCs are such fun!

Nancy
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:
Poppy despite a few minor details, I loved your book and highly recommend it. I just didn't go for the moth information because it was so much killing of them. But the story, it was amazing and written so well. Be waiting for your next one . Hope its soon. Linda

Linda, bless your heart, I know you wouldn't kill a fly. But if the moths aren't killed in the book, and dispassionately, then where is the parallel between that and how Ginny kills her sister?

But Vivian, does it have to be so many. Couldn't they just experiment with a few. Why thousands and then some!
Frequent Contributor
pheath
0 Kudos

I would also like to thank everyone involved from all corners. Both the book and the discussions made me think about a lot of things - some on pretty deep levels as the later conversations show. There is so much that dulls the mind in our culture and society that opportunities like this are truly refreshing. Cheers! Let's do it again in June!
-Philip
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

But Vivian, does it have to be so many. Couldn't they just experiment with a few. Why thousands and then some!

Because there are millions and then some.
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
reddoglady
0 Kudos

I agree with everyone's comments -- it was a great read and it sure kept you thinking -- it was a great experience and I look forward to the next one -- thanks again everyone --   :smileyhappy:
Users Online
Currently online:55 members 520 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: