Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Frequent Contributor
ezraSid
Posts: 34
Registered: ‎12-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt

I just found out I am in! I loved the exerpt and am looking forward to reading the rest of the book. I think everyone has someone they may have been close to and have drifted apart over the years. maybe we can all find some insights as we read and talk together.
~Grace~
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
Posts: 529
Registered: ‎11-05-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt

I guess you've all googled Poppy Adams by now and know that The Sister was originally published in England last year under the name The Behaviour of Moths. I can see why they changed the rather botanical title, in the U.S that may not fly. No pun intended.

Any way, don't be disheartened that we're not the first to read. The same thing happened with Riverton and it didn't hurt my experience at all.
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader


"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Correspondent
momgee
Posts: 584
Registered: ‎07-24-2007
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt



Carmenere_lady wrote:
I guess you've all googled Poppy Adams by now and know that The Sister was originally published in England last year under the name The Behaviour of Moths. I can see why they changed the rather botanical title, in the U.S that may not fly. No pun intended.

Any way, don't be disheartened that we're not the first to read. The same thing happened with Riverton and it didn't hurt my experience at all.




Hi - I don't think I would ever pick up a book titled The behaviour of moths! It would not fly with me either. The story sounds intriguing just from the excerpt - hope we get it this time before the discussion starts.

Kaye
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Contributor
CuriousKat
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎01-27-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt

Considering just about everyone here can relate in some way due to "real" relationships, I am sure there will be something that will resonate personally.

So far so good with the excerpt. Seems to have us all hooked. You have to wonder where they get the inspiration/seed that begins the journey, that we get to enjoy.

I laughed about the comments about a title with Moth in it......you would be surprised what you find yourself reading. Have any of you read the Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk? Great read.

Since the book revolves around a family that catches, studies and collects moths your imagination can run wild trying to think of what could be so eerie. Harmless wisps?
“Let us read and let us dance - two amusements that will never do any harm

to the world.”
- Voltaire
Frequent Contributor
Aunt_Beth_64
Posts: 261
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt



momgee wrote:


Carmenere_lady wrote:
I guess you've all googled Poppy Adams by now and know that The Sister was originally published in England last year under the name The Behaviour of Moths. I can see why they changed the rather botanical title, in the U.S that may not fly. No pun intended.

Any way, don't be disheartened that we're not the first to read. The same thing happened with Riverton and it didn't hurt my experience at all.




Hi - I don't think I would ever pick up a book titled The behaviour of moths! It would not fly with me either. The story sounds intriguing just from the excerpt - hope we get it this time before the discussion starts.

Kaye




I don't know that I would have picked up a book with the moth title either, but now that I am 'hooked' I am very curious to learn how moths fit into the story of The Sister.

Beth
Frequent Contributor
Aunt_Beth_64
Posts: 261
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt



CuriousKat wrote:
Considering just about everyone here can relate in some way due to "real" relationships, I am sure there will be something that will resonate personally.

So far so good with the excerpt. Seems to have us all hooked. You have to wonder where they get the inspiration/seed that begins the journey, that we get to enjoy.

I laughed about the comments about a title with Moth in it......you would be surprised what you find yourself reading. Have any of you read the Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk? Great read.

Since the book revolves around a family that catches, studies and collects moths your imagination can run wild trying to think of what could be so eerie. Harmless wisps?




The Secret Life of Bees is a great book. I put off reading it for a good while because the title did not interest me. Then, I kept hearing so many good things about it, and I already appreciated Sue Monk as an author--so I finally read it. I'm glad I did.

Beth
Correspondent
HannibalCat
Posts: 238
Registered: ‎10-25-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt



Aunt_Beth_64 wrote:


CuriousKat wrote:
Considering just about everyone here can relate in some way due to "real" relationships, I am sure there will be something that will resonate personally.

So far so good with the excerpt. Seems to have us all hooked. You have to wonder where they get the inspiration/seed that begins the journey, that we get to enjoy.

I laughed about the comments about a title with Moth in it......you would be surprised what you find yourself reading. Have any of you read the Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk? Great read.

Since the book revolves around a family that catches, studies and collects moths your imagination can run wild trying to think of what could be so eerie. Harmless wisps?




The Secret Life of Bees is a great book. I put off reading it for a good while because the title did not interest me. Then, I kept hearing so many good things about it, and I already appreciated Sue Monk as an author--so I finally read it. I'm glad I did.

Beth




I loved the secret life of bees, and would have enjoyed it if it was twice the length. I, too, put off reading it for a while because I wasn't particularly interested in the life of bees. However, it just goes to show you can't judge a book by it's title!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt

I hadn't Googled Adams, so thanks. It will be interesting to see, as we read the book, why that title seemed appropriate to somebody.

If the book sold well in England under that title, I guess the English reading tastes differ a bit from American. :smileyhappy:

Carmenere_lady wrote:
I guess you've all googled Poppy Adams by now and know that The Sister was originally published in England last year under the name The Behaviour of Moths. I can see why they changed the rather botanical title, in the U.S that may not fly. No pun intended.

Any way, don't be disheartened that we're not the first to read. The same thing happened with Riverton and it didn't hurt my experience at all.


_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt


CuriousKat wrote:
I laughed about the comments about a title with Moth in it......you would be surprised what you find yourself reading. Have any of you read the Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk?

It's hard not to suspect that the Moth title was based in part on the success of the Secret Life of Bees. I tried to read Bees, but didn't get very far before I sent it back to the library.
_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt


Everyman wrote:

CuriousKat wrote:
I laughed about the comments about a title with Moth in it......you would be surprised what you find yourself reading. Have any of you read the Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk?

It's hard not to suspect that the Moth title was based in part on the success of the Secret Life of Bees. I tried to read Bees, but didn't get very far before I sent it back to the library.


I kind of like that title The Behavour of Moths, for this book, considering the sisters are supposed to be scientists who work with butterflies I think, and moths. And since its about their relationship and what happened to it, its about their behaviors and what if one was a butterfly and one was a moth? I think its an intriguing title.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
Aunt_Beth_64
Posts: 261
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt



vivico1 wrote:

Everyman wrote:

CuriousKat wrote:
I laughed about the comments about a title with Moth in it......you would be surprised what you find yourself reading. Have any of you read the Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk?

It's hard not to suspect that the Moth title was based in part on the success of the Secret Life of Bees. I tried to read Bees, but didn't get very far before I sent it back to the library.


I kind of like that title The Behavour of Moths, for this book, considering the sisters are supposed to be scientists who work with butterflies I think, and moths. And since its about their relationship and what happened to it, its about their behaviors and what if one was a butterfly and one was a moth? I think its an intriguing title.




I didn’t think of it before….but the title could have something to do with the Life Cycle of a moth. I suppose it is the same as a butterfly:
Egg
Larva (Caterpillar)
Pupa (Chrysalis)
Adult

I suppose the metamorphosis of the sister relationship also evolves in stages.
Frequent Contributor
GMorrison
Posts: 62
Registered: ‎12-20-2007
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt



vivico1 wrote:
I kind of like that title The Behavour of Moths, for this book, considering the sisters are supposed to be scientists who work with butterflies I think, and moths. And since its about their relationship and what happened to it, its about their behaviors and what if one was a butterfly and one was a moth? I think its an intriguing title.




I like it too, if only because it reminds me of A.S. Byatt's Angels and Insects. (Well, the title at least, I can't speak to similarities in content until March!)
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt

I find it interesting that the book is called The Sister and not The Sisters. Suggests that it's more about one of the sisters than about the relationship between them. Hmmmmm.
_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt


Everyman wrote:
I find it interesting that the book is called The Sister and not The Sisters. Suggests that it's more about one of the sisters than about the relationship between them. Hmmmmm.


not necessarily, could be that its just told through the eyes of one of the sisters, not a third person, so even if its about her life too, she would be writing the sister.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
Posts: 492
Registered: ‎12-18-2007
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt

This book sounds very interesting...I kept thinking of twins when I was reading the excerpt...is it just me? I wonder what caused Vivie to almost die 59 years previously, what made her leave and why she is coming back...I can't wait to get into this one...
Peace and love,
Paula R.

"Adversity causes some people to break, but causes others to break records."

Author Unknown
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
Posts: 492
Registered: ‎12-18-2007
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt

Everyman wrote: "I find it interesting that the book is called The Sister and not The Sisters. Suggests that it's more about one of the sisters than about the relationship between them. Hmmmmm."

Could it be that it is about an actual Sister, as in nun? Just thought of that after reading your post as well as Vivian's post...
Peace and love,
Paula R.

"Adversity causes some people to break, but causes others to break records."

Author Unknown
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
Posts: 492
Registered: ‎12-18-2007
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt

CuriousKat wrote: "I laughed about the comments about a title with Moth in it......you would be surprised what you find yourself reading. Have any of you read the Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk? Great read."

CuriousKat, I read The Secret Life of Bees and I loved it...I didn't really like The Mermaid Chair though...We talked about Bees in our bookclub, actually it was the first book we read when we started the club...
Peace and love,
Paula R.

"Adversity causes some people to break, but causes others to break records."

Author Unknown
Correspondent
Rosei
Posts: 111
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt

Oh, it was very pleasant reading an excerpt in advance and it sounds so very interesting. I look forward this reader so much!

Hugs!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
Posts: 529
Registered: ‎11-05-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt



Everyman wrote:

CuriousKat wrote:
I laughed about the comments about a title with Moth in it......you would be surprised what you find yourself reading. Have any of you read the Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk?

It's hard not to suspect that the Moth title was based in part on the success of the Secret Life of Bees. I tried to read Bees, but didn't get very far before I sent it back to the library.




I thought about The Secret Life of Bees at work today and thought "hey that was botanical too" and that title worked. I suppose it's word of mouth that sells a book with a name like that.
I read Bees because of the rave reviews and although I finished it I couldn't figure out what all the bruhaha was about. I guess I'll have to take another look at it again some day.
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader


"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Frequent Contributor
nmccarthy
Posts: 35
Registered: ‎12-29-2007
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt

I read "Garden Spells" by Sarah Addison Allen as well. It's amazing to me how my sisters and I can revisit shared, past experiences and have totally different perceptions and feelings with regards to the events and the outcomes. I can't help but wonder if the mystery of this book also hinges on different, sisterly perceptions.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 283 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: