Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Re: Sister: an Excerpt

After reading the excerpt the first impression I got is that Ginny is a little bit coo-coo. Take this with a grain of salt though. My hunches were usually off for Riverton.
Ginny, doesn't seem to get out much and seems to live alone in the family castle. Wouldn't that drive anyone batty?:smileywink: I can't wait to start reading and find out what the long absence is all about.
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt

Carmemere_lady wrote:

"...and cute sexy monk spice up the possibilities. Seriously!:0 "

A CUTE, SEXY MONK???????? what an interesting combo. Sorry, but that struck me as soooooo funny!!!
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Contributor
corym
0 Kudos

I am very excited for the next selection to arrive! I really enjoyed reading the previous book and look forward to reading eveyone's thoughts on "The Sister."
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

blkeyesuzi wrote:
Carmemere_lady wrote:

"...and cute sexy monk spice up the possibilities. Seriously!:0 "

A CUTE, SEXY MONK???????? what an interesting combo. Sorry, but that struck me as soooooo funny!!!

It is funny, and look what her last name is! But its a good story just so different from the Bees book.
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

I also want to know what has happened between these two women, sisters. I have always heard that the relationship between sisters is a very complicated one. Is a sister relationship more complicated than the relationship between two brothers?
Grapes
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

I am very interested in the thoughts of the elderly too. I think it's because those who have lived long have been through so many different experiences. Just think of the amount of History they have lived through and the amount of technological changes. Most of all, living for so long must give you more insight about the people in your immediate family. Surely, you become more aware of weaknesses, strengths, etc. You also see time take a toll on the human body. Obviously, these two sisters have, through time, learned to love one another more deeply or learned to dislike one another. After reading the excerpt, my thoughts lean toward the latter. What caused these two women to separate for so long? Why is one a recluse now?
Grapes
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

2roadsdiverged wrote:
What an interesting excerpt! I'm looking forward to reading this book and finding out the events that led to the separation of the sisters. Having recently experienced a separation after a 35 year relationship, I liked the sentence re: series of events, rather than one particular item. (I agree) Looking forward to this book!
I already signed up for the advance.

I loved those lines.

"It was a childhood in perfect balance, so I'm wondering what it was that came along and changed everything. It wasn't just one thing. There's rarely a sole cause for the separation of lives. It's a sequence of events, an inexorable chain reaction where each small link is fundamental, like a snake of upended dominoes."
Grapes
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

The author is experiencing a pretty wonderful time. Two weeks before learning about being published, she gives birth to her baby. Two wonderful events so close together is marvelous.
Grapes
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

Interesting, the title is not "The Sisters" but "The Sister." Did I read the title correctly.
Grapes
dhaupt
0 Kudos

blkeyesuzi wrote:
Has anyone else read "Garden Spells"? I've been interested in it, but have yet to buy it. Would love your opinions.

nmccarthy wrote:
I read "Garden Spells" by Sarah Addison Allen as well.

Suzi, I just finished Garden Spells because someone from Riverton said they were reading it.
It was one of the best books I've read in a while. It's very fanciful and full of just really good writing. So if you like a little bit of paranormal (not too much) a little sibling rivalry, and a real feel good story it's your kind of book. I know it was mine.
Debbie
Frequent Contributor
nmccarthy
0 Kudos

momgee wrote:

nmccarthy wrote:
First, I enjoyed reading the book. I loved the whimsy and the characters; the book jacket is beautiful. I thought the writing was a little simple and the plot very predictable. All in all though, the time and money were worth it. I grew up in a small southern town, so every once in a while I enjoy going back through time by finding a comfortable chair and a novel such as "Garden Spells".

You might enjoy The Three Miss Margarets author's name escapes me but it is set in small southern town strong women and really good story and I think there is a prequel to it too. I enjoyed them tremendously.

Kaye

Kaye,
You know what I like to read then; I read The Three Miss Margarets a few years back and enjoyed it enough to keep on my bookshelves.
THX
Contributor
llamareader
0 Kudos

grapes wrote:
Interesting, the title is not "The Sisters" but "The Sister." Did I read the title correctly.

Yes it is "The Sister" There were a few posts on page 2 I think about why people think that is the title. I thought the ideas were interesting. Also, while talking with my husband, he thought maybe "The Sisters" would indicate a more posistive relationship like sisterhood, and "The Sister" might indicate a more negative or strained relationship. Just an idea.
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

I think your husband is right. One sister, the singular, indicates or gives the feeling that the relationship isn't a good one. That thought never entered my mind. Thanks.

Have you received your book yet? I haven't received my book yet.

Grapes
Grapes
Frequent Contributor
AllieK
0 Kudos

Grapes

---------------------------

The books aren't being sent until around Feb 18...I read in the sign up thread...So they should be coming sometimes by the end of next week!! Can't wait!!
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

Thank you. I am excited too.
Grapes
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

grapes wrote:
I think your husband is right. One sister, the singular, indicates or gives the feeling that the relationship isn't a good one. That thought never entered my mind. Thanks.

Grapes

I haven't received mine yet either. Has anyone? They may not have gone out yet.
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

I think someone said we should receive the books by Feb. 18th. If so, we don't have long to wait. I think it's going to be an interesting book after reading the excerpt.
Grapes
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

grapes wrote:
I think someone said we should receive the books by Feb. 18th. If so, we don't have long to wait. I think it's going to be an interesting book after reading the excerpt.

No, I think the post said they wouldn't go out until after then, probably the last week of the month.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
0 Kudos

LyndaSue wrote: "Very short synopsis, Vivian, perhaps others will expand on this. Bees - More or less a coming of age story for a girl/woman separated from her family and essentially adopted by a family of African-American sisters who just so happen to harvest honey from their beehives. Mermaid's Chair - A middle age woman must go back home to care for her possibly mental mother who has just chopped off her finger. Separation from husband and cute sexy monk spice up the possibilities. Seriously!:0" LyndaSue, that about sums it up without giving too much away...I think I need to read Mermaid's Chair again...just to make sure that I didn't miss something the first time, which made me not like it as much... Vivian, I hope that this synopsis worked for you...if I hadn't read either of them, I would probably try to read them based on what LyndaSue said...
Peace and love,
Paula R.

"Adversity causes some people to break, but causes others to break records."

Author Unknown
Frequent Contributor
AnnieS
0 Kudos

Hi,

I just received my copy today.:smileytongue:  The letter from Poppy Adams included with the copy also intrigues me.  She has three brothers and at least one son, she did not mention the sex of her other children. The house where The Sister is set does exist and her description of how it intrigued her has me counting the hours before I delve into the story myself.  I am sooo excited! 

Annie
Users Online
Currently online: 51 members 1,017 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: