Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt

AnnieS wrote:
Hi,
I just received my copy today.:smileytongue: The letter from Poppy Adams included with the copy also intrigues me. She has three brothers and at least one son, she did not mention the sex of her other children. The house where The Sister is set does exist and her description of how it intrigued her has me counting the hours before I delve into the story myself. I am sooo excited!
Annie

I also received my book and I found it very interesting the way the Chapters are divided. Jo
Contributor
jabrke
0 Kudos

I was so excited to come home from work on Friday and find the book in my mailbox.:smileyvery-happy:

My very first impression after opening the package-----not a captivating cover.

I did enjoy reading the letter from the author.
Contributor
KiimC_8741
0 Kudos

I hope mine comes soon - I should finish my current book this weekend barring any of 'life's little emergencies' ! It would be perfect timing to get it this weekend
Frequent Contributor
dghobbs
0 Kudos

The Book, the Author & an Excerpt

I received my copy on Friday as well.  I agree the cover is not captivating...I wonder if the cover will be changed from the readers copy once the Hardcover comes out.  Is that likely?  Does anyone know? 

I am looking forward to reading the novel! :smileyhappy:Doug
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Probably a little too early to say, but worth asking the publisher or editor when they join us in March.

dghobbs wrote:
I received my copy on Friday as well. I agree the cover is not captivating...I wonder if the cover will be changed from the readers copy once the Hardcover comes out. Is that likely? Does anyone know?
I am looking forward to reading the novel! :smileyhappy:Doug

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Frequent Contributor
dghobbs
0 Kudos

Maria,

Thank you!  I will wait and bring it up in March to see if the Publisher is likely to change the cover.  :smileyhappy:Doug
Frequent Contributor
bettymac
0 Kudos

My copy arrived today...the letter from the author was intriguing...I'll be interested to learn from the author how she came to understand the relationships between sisters since she comments on her not having one. I too was interested in the line about the chain of circumstances. I have just finished rereading Delinsky's Family Tree. One of our group reading guide questions addressed the same idea. NC Betty PS Don't even remember the cover so I must not have been impressed with it. I did note that I like the way the letters of the title on the title page seemed to be shadowed.
Betty

"Tell me what you read and I'll tell you who you are" is true enough, but I'd know you better if you told me what you reread. ~François Mauriac
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

The last club, my copy sat in Dallas for like 3 days before they sent it back up this way to Oklahoma so it took about 9-10 days for me to get mine. Guess we will see if they figure out that the quickest way between two points is a straight line this time lol. Or at least keep the northern route, I have no idea why it went down there first.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
BookSavage
0 Kudos

It seems like for anyone in Oklahoma or West Texas you can't do or get anything if you don't go through Dallas!:smileymad:
Go Cubs Go!
Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

Anyone have any thoughts on the cover?
~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Don't have the book yet, so haven't seen it. Can you hold that question until we all have the book and the discussion of it formally starts?

In each of the previous First Look books, there was considerable discussion of the covers, so it's quite possible that the moderators will set up a special thread for that discussion once they've opened the discussion threads.
\

Thayer wrote:

0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:
Don't have the book yet, so haven't seen it. Can you hold that question until we all have the book and the discussion of it formally starts?

In each of the previous First Look books, there was considerable discussion of the covers, so it's quite possible that the moderators will set up a special thread for that discussion once they've opened the discussion threads.
\

Thayer wrote:

Yes please hold the questions until we all get our books. Even talking about the cover is often a thread of its own once the discussion starts.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Thayer
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Everyman wrote:

\

Thayer wrote:

Yes please hold the questions until we all get our books. Even talking about the cover is often a thread of its own once the discussion starts.

okay my bad. I haven't received my copy either. I was just re-reading the excerpt in anticipation, admiring the cover artwork and got over zealous. Sorry. Dawn

~~Dawn
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Thayer wrote: okay my bad.

Not at all. It takes a few of these First Look book clubs to develop the protocols.

The thing about the FLBC is that since nobody has seen or read the book before, there's a real excitement about all jumping into it together. Nobody has read it for a college class, there are no Spark or Cliff notes, nobody's read reviews of it or talked about it in a book club. We're all book virgins.

It's like a your big back lawn after an overnight snowstorm. It's so white and smooth and untouched by human hands or feet. You don't want your siblings sneaking out and racing around in the snow before you can get your boots on. You want to all stand on the porch, take a deep breath, and all run into it together.
0 Kudos

Do all books get published into hardcover?  I just read whistling in The Dark by Kagen and Lost & Found by Parkhust and I thought both were published in paperback.  Both were first time published authors.  Am I really out of the loop?  :smileysad:
Contributor
CuriousKat
0 Kudos

Everyman,
Sue Monk sometimes takes you a bit before you really get into the book, but she is a really good writer and her stories are terrific.

Her "Mermaids Chair" was another one. I guess she is not writing the type of stories that just grab you at the "get go" but she does hook you and good.

I never thought I would read about bees, but I did and it was a good read. I don't know how to describe it, but she's not a grab ya at once, but her stories seem sustainable and far reaching. They touch you, is probably what I am looking for. Not just entertainment.

“Let us read and let us dance - two amusements that will never do any harm

to the world.”
- Voltaire
Thayer
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Everyman wrote:

It's like a your big back lawn after an overnight snowstorm. It's so white and smooth and untouched by human hands or feet. You don't want your siblings sneaking out and racing around in the snow before you can get your boots on. You want to all stand on the porch, take a deep breath, and all run into it together.

...looking forward to making snow angels :smileywink:  thanks for your guidance and expertise.

Message Edited by Thayer on 02-19-2008 08:12 PM
~~Dawn
Contributor
CuriousKat
0 Kudos

Aunt_Beth_64,

"I suppose the metamorphosis of the sister relationship also evolves in stages."

All relationships do, and I think you hit it on the nose, the four stages.  As well as the other reply, sorry (I forgot to copy your name) lack of sleep lately :smileywink:;  "moth vs butterfly", with subtle but some very different ways which life comes and continues.

to the world.”
- Voltaire
Contributor
CuriousKat
0 Kudos

nmccarthy,

"It's amazing to me how my sisters and I can revisit shared, past experiences and have totally different perceptions and feelings with regards to the events and the outcomes. I can't help but wonder if the mystery of this book also hinges on different, sisterly perceptions."

I was thinking along the same lines. It is funny when you think about it...the different views you both have of the same events.

to the world.”
- Voltaire
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

AnnieS wrote:
Do all books get published into hardcover? I just read whistling in The Dark by Kagen and Lost & Found by Parkhust and I thought both were published in paperback. Both were first time published authors. Am I really out of the loop? :smileysad:

Not all books are published in hardback, some only get published in paper back. It depends on the genre for one thing. I am not a Harlequin Romance reader, so correct me if I am wrong guys, but I think all of those are published in paperback. Also there is a mystery writer I like that all hers are paperback that I have been able to find. Then most tho, tend to get published first in hardback and then may have a second release in paperback. These ARC books we get are in paperback until they do release them and then they are in hardback. I prefer hardback myself, easier to lay back and prop them up on ya and read them without breaking the spine and I like them in my shelves better. But if its a book I want, I will get it in paper back. I just finished today the Jodi Picoult book for March, Nineteen Minutes in paperback new (tho it may be a re-release). It was a long book and I would have liked to have gotten it in hard back, after about 375-400 pages, paperbacks get a bit thick and cumbersome to handle.
Vivian
Users Online
Currently online: 55 members 651 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: