Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
Reshan
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt

I like the book so far, however, is anybody else having a hard time liking "Ginny"?  I feel very uncomfortable when she is talking.  I don't understand where she is coming from.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Reshan wrote:
I like the book so far, however, is anybody else having a hard time liking "Ginny"?  I feel very uncomfortable when she is talking.  I don't understand where she is coming from.

It seems she is coming from a dark place where few people tread. It was on my second read that I really caught this "something" in what she was saying. Things just do not seem right with her.
Frequent Contributor
ELee
0 Kudos

A Question

We have all discussed the book through Chapter 5 at this point, so here is a question.

I think we all agree that there is something different about Ginny, so why do you think the author chose her to tell this story?
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: A Question

ELee wrote:
We have all discussed the book through Chapter 5 at this point, so here is a question.
I think we all agree that there is something different about Ginny, so why do you think the author chose her to tell this story?

If Ginny really has a distorted view of the world then its a heck of a lot more interesting to experience the world through those eyes (which we can't do in real life) than to hear someone who is reality based, tell us one more time about someone who isnt and try to tell us their story as they see it. Its much more of a mystery through Ginny's eyes.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

The other interesting point to watch will be whether the author is able to first present her character in a way that is consistent with whatever condition it is that Ginny has, and second, keep Ginny in that character throughout the book (unless something is identified which changes her condition).

ELee wrote:

0 Kudos

Reshan wrote:

I find nothing in Ginny to dislike. I feel something has happened in her life that has made her react to others with such anxiety.

Grapes

Grapes
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:
The other interesting point to watch will be whether the author is able to first present her character in a way that is consistent with whatever condition it is that Ginny has, and second, keep Ginny in that character throughout the book (unless something is identified which changes her condition).

On the cover of the book there is a picture of one sister. It looks like a stone monument to me. Will one of the sisters die? On the other hand, it looks like a sepia toned photograph. I believe there is a chance something will happen to one of the sisters.

Grapes
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

grapes wrote:
On the cover of the book there is a picture of one sister. It looks like a stone monument to me.

did anyone think it looked like the bust of caesar rather than an elderly woman?
twj

Message Edited by thewanderingjew on 03-05-2008 08:52 AM
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

ELee wrote:

ginny is the sister who remained "with the house". when she stands by the window in chapter 1, you almost get the feeling that she has become part of the house. as she states, vivi was gone almost 50 years. she is the only one "qualified" to tell the story..., although it soon becomes obvious that shared events are often viewed in different ways by each witness..
twj

Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

grapes wrote:
On the cover of the book there is a picture of one sister. It looks like a stone monument to me.

did anyone think it looked like the bust of caesar rather than an elderly woman?

To me it doesn't look like Caesar. It does resemble a bust of a young woman, I think.

Grapes

Grapes
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

grapes wrote:
On the cover of the book there is a picture of one sister. It looks like a stone monument to me.
twj

it is a bust, not a picture. It doesn't look like Caesar at all tho, but a woman. If you think about it tho, to me it would be a bust of Ginny. She seems to be the emotionless one,"like stone", just staring off.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
AmyEJ
0 Kudos

grapes wrote:

I find nothing in Ginny to dislike. I feel something has happened in her life that has made her react to others with such anxiety.

I totally agree, Grapes.  Maybe I'm not far enough along (I'm behind--only in chap 6) but I haven't read anything that makes me dislike her.  I find her different, and am watching the speculation closely about what that difference means in terms of possible mental illness or disability or something else.  But so far I'm reserving my judgment about all of that and just accepting her as my sympathetic narrator. 
CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

I agree. Ginny is "different" and that is exactly what makes her such an interesting character. I am fascinated by the way she thinks.
CAG
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

momgee wrote:

Carmenere_lady wrote:
I guess you've all googled Poppy Adams by now and know that The Sister was originally published in England last year under the name The Behaviour of Moths. I can see why they changed the rather botanical title, in the U.S that may not fly. No pun intended.

Any way, don't be disheartened that we're not the first to read. The same thing happened with Riverton and it didn't hurt my experience at al

Hi - I don't think I would ever pick up a book titled The behaviour of moths! It would not fly with me either. The story sounds intriguing just from the excerpt - hope we get it this time before the discussion starts.

Kaye

Hi Momgee, long time no hear from you! Hope everything is good with you.  I know I wouldn't buy a book that said the behavior of moths. But I did buy one that said The secret of bees. But I guess bees are better than moths. Yeah! I agree with me.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

paula_02912 wrote:
This book sounds very interesting...I kept thinking of twins when I was reading the excerpt...is it just me? I wonder what caused Vivie to almost die 59 years previously, what made her leave and why she is coming back...I can't wait to get into this one...

Vivie fell off the belltower and almost died.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Carmenere_lady wrote:

Everyman wrote:

CuriousKat wrote:
I laughed about the comments about a title with Moth in it......you would be surprised what you find yourself reading. Have any of you read the Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk?

It's hard not to suspect that the Moth title was based in part on the success of the Secret Life of Bees. I tried to read Bees, but didn't get very far before I sent it back to the library.

I thought about The Secret Life of Bees at work today and thought "hey that was botanical too" and that title worked. I suppose it's word of mouth that sells a book with a name like that.
I read Bees because of the rave reviews and although I finished it I couldn't figure out what all the bruhaha was about. I guess I'll have to take another look at it again some day.

I think, Lynda Sue that the Secret life of bees was written better about bees than the one about moths. The bee story somewhat had drama to it. It seemed to make the bees come alive and she told many secrets that enticed the bees even further.  And too, it wasnt about killing like the Moths were. And people were making a living with raising bees, it was their livihood, not so with moths, it was a sick obsession at times with them.
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

AmyEJ wrote:

grapes wrote:

I totally agree, Grapes.  Maybe I'm not far enough along (I'm behind--only in chap 6) but I haven't read anything that makes me dislike her.  I find her different, and am watching the speculation closely about what that difference means in terms of possible mental illness or disability or something else.  But so far I'm reserving my judgment about all of that and just accepting her as my sympathetic narrator. 

Grapes wrote:

AmyEJ, I agree with you. You have written your thoughts about Ginny in such a perfect way.

Grapes
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & Bookselling -- link may have SPOILERS

Give me a break! I'm still considering whether to compare Kate Morton to McEwan; but Poppy Adams....

"Whilst learning a fair amount about the behaviour of moths, Poppy Adams debut is a haunting and yet ultimately subtle thriller to challenge the work of Ian McEwan." John Lloyd, Waterstone's Bath

AVOID LINK IF CONCERNED ABOUT POTENTIAL SPOILERS (Depends on your definition -- just be cautious if of especial concern.)

http://tinyurl.com/2lf863

Does have a picture of the cover in the UK.
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt - Ginny's voice

Hi all,

I have thought, for awhile now, that when Ginny speaks directly to us that she is speaking as if to a therapist, psychiatrist, or police detective.  I don't have my book with me so I can't site anything specifically but I wanted to get this down before I forgot.  Have any of you had this feeling about Ginny?
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Frequent Contributor
songgirl7
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt - Ginny's voice

I have thoughts about Ginny as the narrator but I'm going to wait until the book discussion gets to the final chapters... it's just too good to spoil.
See what I'm reading now: Goodreads.com

"I can't stop drinking the coffee. I stop drinking the coffee, I stop the standing, and the walking and the putting-words-into-sentences doing."
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 515 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: