Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt

Aunt Beth,

Thank you for the clarification.

Grapes
Grapes
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

Re: Butterflies

Everyman, thank you! This is great having the links. From my back cover this is a quote. "and carrying on the family tradition of the study of moths and butterflies, lepidopterology."  That's not a complete sentence I've quoted. Still, it's clear that butterflies are important to this family.

Believe it or not, I have never known the word used for studying butterflies. So, I have a new word in my vocabulary.

Grapes
Grapes
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

Paula,

I love the blue butterflies too. I would like to know their name too. I can identify a Monarch not any other butterflies. I wonder how often the word butterfly or butterflies will show up in the book?
Grapes
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

I just noticed on the first page where Poppy Adams' excerpt is posted two words, "fraught cocoon." These two words describe Ginny and Vivi's relationship. I find the use of those two word so interesting. The words give me a feeling of being strangled or held too tightly. Do any of you feel the same way?
Grapes
Contributor
Charlottesweb1
0 Kudos

I think The Sister is intriguing .
Familial relationship is anything if not complex. I am looking forward to discussing this book with the group.
Frequent Contributor
songgirl7
0 Kudos

OK, I finally got past the boring moth stuff and it got REALLY good. I finished it in one sitting. Any of you who are having trouble with the moth stuff, please keep at it!

I can't wait to start discussing this. I have so many unanswered questions. Will the author be here?
See what I'm reading now: Goodreads.com

"I can't stop drinking the coffee. I stop drinking the coffee, I stop the standing, and the walking and the putting-words-into-sentences doing."
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
0 Kudos

songgirl17 wrote: "I am so bored with all the moth stuff. I'm about 100 pages in and so far there has been very little (I'd say, maybe 20%) about the sisters and it's mostly all about the study of moths. Snore. I'm having a really hard time getting through this. I really hope this moth science ends up being relevent to the story of the sisters, otherwise I'd suggest a change in title."

I feel differently about the book...I think that the information we are getting in the beginning of the book sets everything up nicely...including the explanations of about the study of moths...it is very intriguing and I can't wait until the discussion threads are posted, so that we can deconstruct what Poppy Adams story is all about...don't you wonder why there is such a lengthy discussion of moths and how it relates to Ginny and Vivi?
Peace and love,
Paula R.

"Adversity causes some people to break, but causes others to break records."

Author Unknown
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
0 Kudos

grapes wrote: "
How many pages are in the unabridged Les Miserables. For the second time I might have bought an abridged copy."

grapes, the unabridged version is pretty lengthy...close to 700 or more pages...granted the one I read was in very fine print...I loved it though...

Peace and love,
Paula R.

"Adversity causes some people to break, but causes others to break records."

Author Unknown
Frequent Contributor
Lildove3
0 Kudos

I can relate to varoius incidents that occur in "The Sister"...and yes, I agree the butterfly studies is
interesting because there is some hidden message, besides what is being described in the book.
In some of the chapters, I feel the author is trying to make the reader apart of the story...it's almost
like the charcters in the book are asking for our opinion.  :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

Paula,

Thank you. I have the wrong one all over again. My book has 618 pages. Thanks for telling me.

Grapes
Grapes
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

I agree. I think there are hidden messages. Those moths and butterflies are going to tell us a lot about these two sisters and their childhood.
Grapes
Frequent Contributor
ELee
0 Kudos

grapes wrote:
I agree. I think there are hidden messages. Those moths and butterflies are going to tell us a lot about these two sisters and their childhood.

grapes,

It would really be helpful if you would quote the post you are responding to.  It would make more sense to readers if they could see what you are commenting on.  Just hit the little icon that looks like a text balloon...
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

"It would really be helpful if you would quote the post you are responding to.  It would make more sense to readers if they could see what you are commenting on.  Just hit the little icon that looks like a text balloon..."

Thank you for helping me. I am still not use to the system. I hope the "text balloon" is the blue ball.  I know this will make it easier for all of us. Thank you again.
Grapes
Frequent Contributor
pigwidgeon
0 Kudos

grapes wrote:
"It would really be helpful if you would quote the post you are responding to. It would make more sense to readers if they could see what you are commenting on. Just hit the little icon that looks like a text balloon..."
Thank you for helping me. I am still not use to the system. I hope the "text balloon" is the blue ball. I know this will make it easier for all of us. Thank you again.

Hey grapes!

When you click on "reply" to respond to a post, and the "reply to message" screen pops up, right above the "message body" box, to the right, is a little button that says "quote post". Just click that button and it automatically inserts the post that you are responding to into the top of your post (and it's in a cute little box to set it apart.. like above). You can also delete parts of the post you are quoting, so just the relevant ideas are displayed, just be sure not to delete any of the necessary html markers. You'll get the hang of it.. piece of cake!
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

And to add to these helpful hints, you can also preview your post (including the quoted message) by clinking "Preview Post" located to the right of the "Submit Post" button.

pigwidgeon wrote: Hey grapes! When you click on "reply" to respond to a post, and the "reply to message" screen pops up, right above the "message body" box, to the right, is a little button that says "quote post". Just click that button and it automatically inserts the post that you are responding to into the top of your post (and it's in a cute little box to set it apart.. like above). You can also delete parts of the post you are quoting, so just the relevant ideas are displayed, just be sure not to delete any of the necessary html markers. You'll get the hang of it.. piece of cake!

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Frequent Contributor
pigwidgeon
0 Kudos

Maria_H wrote:
And to add to these helpful hints, you can also preview your post (including the quoted message) by clinking "Preview Post" located to the right of the "Submit Post" button.

Maria!

I love the "preview post" option... how could I have forgotten :smileysad:

"Preview post" also helps to clarify some of the html code (from the post you are quoting) in the message body section. If you are unfamiliar with it, html can be quite daunting at first. That way if you have to delete any text from the quote (for the sake of space, or sanity :smileyhappy: ) you can see what you're doing.
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

I don't see it. I don't see it. I'm frustrated.:smileysad:
Grapes
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

I'll walk you through:
When you click on Reply you are taken to a page with a box in which you can type your response.

To quote a post-
If you are using Internet Explorer, on the toolbar you will see a balloon containing quotes marks to the left of the smiley face. If you click on that, the message you are replying to will automatically appear inside your response/message box.

If you are using Firefox, you will see a button labeled Quote Post above the upper right corner of your response/message box, click on that and the message you are replying to will appear with HTML code.

Simply type your response/message above or below the one you are quoting.

When you are done, you can preview your post by clicking on the Preview Post link in the lower right corner of the response/message box. The Preview Post link can be found to the far right of the Submit Post button.

Let us know if you need more help!

grapes wrote: I don't see it. I don't see it. I'm frustrated.:smileysad:

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

Maria_H wrote:

pigwidgeon wrote: Hey grapes! When you click on "reply" to respond to a post, and the "reply to message" screen pops up, right above the "message body" box, to the right, is a little button that says "quote post". Just click that button and it automatically inserts the post that you are responding to into the top of your post (and it's in a cute little box to set it apart.. like above). You can also delete parts of the post you are quoting, so just the relevant ideas are displayed, just be sure not to delete any of the necessary html markers. You'll get the hang of it.. piece of cake!

Karen and the others who offered me help, thank you very much. It is a "piece of cake. Thank you for your help.

Grapes
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

Maria_H wrote:
I'll walk you through:
When you click on Reply you are taken to a page with a box in which you can type your response.

To quote a post-
If you are using Internet Explorer, on the toolbar you will see a balloon containing quotes marks to the left of the smiley face. If you click on that, the message you are replying to will automatically appear inside your response/message box.

If you are using Firefox, you will see a button labeled Quote Post above the upper right corner of your response/message box, click on that and the message you are replying to will appear with HTML code.

Simply type your response/message above or below the one you are quoting.

When you are done, you can preview your post by clicking on the Preview Post link in the lower right corner of the response/message box. The Preview Post link can be found to the far right of the Submit Post button.

Let us know if you need more help!

grapes wrote: I don't see it. I don't see it. I'm frustrated.:smileysad:

Maria H, thank you so very much for your help. :smileyhappy:

Grapes
Users Online
Currently online: 47 members 275 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: