Reply
Correspondent
HannibalCat
Posts: 238
Registered: ‎10-25-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt



Frank_n_beans wrote:


vivico1 wrote:

Frank_n_beans wrote:
Hi Maria-

I just found out I made it in the club for March and I'm thrilled! I was just curious...are the advanced reading copies we are sent actual books or are they photo-copies of the book? That may be a silly question but I am just curious...

Thanks!
Frank & Beans


They are paperback copies of the book. There may be some changes before they come out for sale but not many. The one we did in Jan, The House at Riverton, they were making some cover changes to and we got to add our input about the cover, that was cool. But yes, you will have an actual paperback book to hold in your hands and get all comfy with that you get to keep. :smileywink:




Yay! That's wonderful..thanks for letting me know, Vivian! I was so hoping we'd get real books..and was quite excited at the prospect of adding a new book to my book-shelf. I have a dream of having a library when my husband and I buy a house...I can just see it now...with books from floor to ceiling on every wall..except for where the fireplace will be..oh and I want that little ladder thingy that moves across the room so I can easily get to a book on the tippy-top shelf. Hehe..a girl can dream, right?!




Aaahhhh! After my own heart. Dream on!!
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
Posts: 683
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt



Frank_n_beans wrote:


vivico1 wrote:

Frank_n_beans wrote:
Hi Maria-

I just found out I made it in the club for March and I'm thrilled! I was just curious...are the advanced reading copies we are sent actual books or are they photo-copies of the book? That may be a silly question but I am just curious...

Thanks!
Frank & Beans


They are paperback copies of the book. There may be some changes before they come out for sale but not many. The one we did in Jan, The House at Riverton, they were making some cover changes to and we got to add our input about the cover, that was cool. But yes, you will have an actual paperback book to hold in your hands and get all comfy with that you get to keep. :smileywink:




Yay! That's wonderful..thanks for letting me know, Vivian! I was so hoping we'd get real books..and was quite excited at the prospect of adding a new book to my book-shelf. I have a dream of having a library when my husband and I buy a house...I can just see it now...with books from floor to ceiling on every wall..except for where the fireplace will be..oh and I want that little ladder thingy that moves across the room so I can easily get to a book on the tippy-top shelf. Hehe..a girl can dream, right?!


Sounds like a great dream to me! Jo
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
Posts: 683
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt



CuriousKat wrote:
Considering just about everyone here can relate in some way due to "real" relationships, I am sure there will be something that will resonate personally.

So far so good with the excerpt. Seems to have us all hooked. You have to wonder where they get the inspiration/seed that begins the journey, that we get to enjoy.

I laughed about the comments about a title with Moth in it......you would be surprised what you find yourself reading. Have any of you read the Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk? Great read.

Since the book revolves around a family that catches, studies and collects moths your imagination can run wild trying to think of what could be so eerie. Harmless wisps?


I enjoyed The Secret Life of Bees as well as The Mermaid's Chair. Jo
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt


Jo6353 wrote:


Frank_n_beans wrote:


vivico1 wrote:

Frank_n_beans wrote:
Hi Maria-

I just found out I made it in the club for March and I'm thrilled! I was just curious...are the advanced reading copies we are sent actual books or are they photo-copies of the book? That may be a silly question but I am just curious...

Thanks!
Frank & Beans


They are paperback copies of the book. There may be some changes before they come out for sale but not many. The one we did in Jan, The House at Riverton, they were making some cover changes to and we got to add our input about the cover, that was cool. But yes, you will have an actual paperback book to hold in your hands and get all comfy with that you get to keep. :smileywink:




Yay! That's wonderful..thanks for letting me know, Vivian! I was so hoping we'd get real books..and was quite excited at the prospect of adding a new book to my book-shelf. I have a dream of having a library when my husband and I buy a house...I can just see it now...with books from floor to ceiling on every wall..except for where the fireplace will be..oh and I want that little ladder thingy that moves across the room so I can easily get to a book on the tippy-top shelf. Hehe..a girl can dream, right?!


Sounds like a great dream to me! Jo


Yeah, too bad the cover of HAR was about the best part of the book to me lol. I hated having all the secrets and mystery told to me by the author before I even got to it. Took all the fun out of it to me. Only ONE secret left and by then it was just another piece of an overly long story to me. BUT lol, I do like to read these new authors and am hoping that I will like this one much better. It sounds good anyway. Hey, we can't like every book we read. But yeah, it was fun to be part of the final process of putting the book together. We don't get that chance or feedback that we will be helping that way from every ARC book, so I appreciated the editors and publishers asking us and letting us know what they were going to go with.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
Posts: 730
Registered: ‎01-26-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt

OldMustyBooks wrote:

I read the Secret Life of Bees this weekend because of the review people here gave it. I started it on Thursday evening; and as soon as I finished Saturday night, I ordered copies for my three dearest friends. It was a great book!
______________________________

I need more friends like you...who buy me books they enjoy!!! LOL

By the way... Those are the best gifts; when buy the things you love, you're sure to please the ones you love.

Suzi




"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
Posts: 683
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt



blkeyesuzi wrote:
OldMustyBooks wrote:

I read the Secret Life of Bees this weekend because of the review people here gave it. I started it on Thursday evening; and as soon as I finished Saturday night, I ordered copies for my three dearest friends. It was a great book!
______________________________

I need more friends like you...who buy me books they enjoy!!! LOL

By the way... Those are the best gifts; when buy the things you love, you're sure to please the ones you love.

Suzi




"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs


Now you have to read The Mermaid's Chair. Jo
Contributor
CKindian
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt

Really looking forward to reading this book. The excerpt sounds very interesting.
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,829
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt


Jo6353 wrote:


blkeyesuzi wrote:
OldMustyBooks wrote:

I read the Secret Life of Bees this weekend because of the review people here gave it. I started it on Thursday evening; and as soon as I finished Saturday night, I ordered copies for my three dearest friends. It was a great book!

Burroughs


Now you have to read The Mermaid's Chair. Jo




Oh yes the Mermaid Chair was excellent and while your at it read the "The Dance of the Dissident Daughter" it was very inspiring in fact all of her works are.
Deb
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt



Jo6353 wrote:


blkeyesuzi wrote:
OldMustyBooks wrote:

I read the Secret Life of Bees this weekend because of the review people here gave it. I started it on Thursday evening; and as soon as I finished Saturday night, I ordered copies for my three dearest friends. It was a great book!
______________________________

I need more friends like you...who buy me books they enjoy!!! LOL

By the way... Those are the best gifts; when buy the things you love, you're sure to please the ones you love.

Suzi




"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs


Now you have to read The Mermaid's Chair. Jo




That is nothing like the Mermaid's Chair. They are entirely different subjects . You wouldnt know that either books came from the same author. They are both good in their own merits. But not alike. Some people love one and not the other and that is understandable. Good writing in both but it could be the subject matter that some people choose sides.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
Posts: 529
Registered: ‎11-05-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt



kiakar wrote:


Jo6353 wrote:


blkeyesuzi wrote:
OldMustyBooks wrote:

I read the Secret Life of Bees this weekend because of the review people here gave it. I started it on Thursday evening; and as soon as I finished Saturday night, I ordered copies for my three dearest friends. It was a great book!
______________________________

I need more friends like you...who buy me books they enjoy!!! LOL

By the way... Those are the best gifts; when buy the things you love, you're sure to please the ones you love.

Suzi




"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs


Now you have to read The Mermaid's Chair. Jo




That is nothing like the Mermaid's Chair. They are entirely different subjects . You wouldnt know that either books came from the same author. They are both good in their own merits. But not alike. Some people love one and not the other and that is understandable. Good writing in both but it could be the subject matter that some people choose sides.





Kiakar has a point here. I liked Mermaids Chair much more than Bees. Perhaps because Bees got awesome reviews from everyone I knew who read it, I was expecting something greater than what it was. Now that I think about it, those two books were not very much alike. Except both had strong relationships among women.
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader


"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Frequent Contributor
grapes
Posts: 229
Registered: ‎12-02-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt

I am very excited about receiving a ARC too. I am still getting use to the board. My posts might appear in strange places. I have begun reading the excerpt of "The Sister." I can't imagine not seeing my sister for fifty years. Then, she is in my life again. How must this feel? Why feelings are awakened? I would feel totally nervous. Not to mention, why have they been parted for so many years? Wonderful thoughts to ponder while reading.
Grapes
Contributor
llamareader
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎02-05-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt

Frank-n-Beans,
I want a library too with floor to ceiling bookshelves, windows facing the lake with a window seat and YES the ladder thing, just have to have it, I am a bit short. I can just feel how cozy the room is, and the rule is Quiet in this room! My husbands thinks I'm nuts. That's OK he still loves me. It is my dream too.
Happy Dreaming of Libraries,
llamareader
Contributor
llamareader
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎02-05-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt



nmccarthy wrote:
I read "Garden Spells" by Sarah Addison Allen as well. It's amazing to me how my sisters and I can revisit shared, past experiences and have totally different perceptions and feelings with regards to the events and the outcomes. I can't help but wonder if the mystery of this book also hinges on different, sisterly perceptions.




The idea of different perceptions intrigues me. I have no sibs, but it is always interesting to me the different perceptions people have of the same event.
llamareader
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
Posts: 730
Registered: ‎01-26-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt

Has anyone else read "Garden Spells"? I've been interested in it, but have yet to buy it. Would love your opinions.


nmccarthy wrote:
I read "Garden Spells" by Sarah Addison Allen as well.
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Frequent Contributor
nmccarthy
Posts: 35
Registered: ‎12-29-2007
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt

First, I enjoyed reading the book. I loved the whimsy and the characters; the book jacket is beautiful. I thought the writing was a little simple and the plot very predictable. All in all though, the time and money were worth it. I grew up in a small southern town, so every once in a while I enjoy going back through time by finding a comfortable chair and a novel such as "Garden Spells".
Correspondent
momgee
Posts: 584
Registered: ‎07-24-2007
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt



nmccarthy wrote:
First, I enjoyed reading the book. I loved the whimsy and the characters; the book jacket is beautiful. I thought the writing was a little simple and the plot very predictable. All in all though, the time and money were worth it. I grew up in a small southern town, so every once in a while I enjoy going back through time by finding a comfortable chair and a novel such as "Garden Spells".




You might enjoy The Three Miss Margarets author's name escapes me but it is set in small southern town strong women and really good story and I think there is a prequel to it too. I enjoyed them tremendously.

Kaye
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
Posts: 683
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt



dhaupt wrote:

Jo6353 wrote:


blkeyesuzi wrote:
OldMustyBooks wrote:

I read the Secret Life of Bees this weekend because of the review people here gave it. I started it on Thursday evening; and as soon as I finished Saturday night, I ordered copies for my three dearest friends. It was a great book!

Burroughs


Now you have to read The Mermaid's Chair. Jo




Oh yes the Mermaid Chair was excellent and while your at it read the "The Dance of the Dissident Daughter" it was very inspiring in fact all of her works are.
Deb


I haven't read that one yet. I'll have to look for it. Thanks! Jo
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
Posts: 492
Registered: ‎12-18-2007
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt

kiakar wrote: "That is nothing like the Mermaid's Chair. They are entirely different subjects . You wouldnt know that either books came from the same author. They are both good in their own merits. But not alike. Some people love one and not the other and that is understandable. Good writing in both but it could be the subject matter that some people choose sides."

I think that was the difference for me...the subject matter in Chair didn't spark my interest as much as Bees' did. As you have stated, both books are two totally different ones and if I didn't know that Monk wrote both, I would have argued with anyone who said otherwise...
Peace and love,
Paula R.

"Adversity causes some people to break, but causes others to break records."

Author Unknown
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt


paula_02912 wrote:
kiakar wrote: "That is nothing like the Mermaid's Chair. They are entirely different subjects . You wouldnt know that either books came from the same author. They are both good in their own merits. But not alike. Some people love one and not the other and that is understandable. Good writing in both but it could be the subject matter that some people choose sides."

I think that was the difference for me...the subject matter in Chair didn't spark my interest as much as Bees' did. As you have stated, both books are two totally different ones and if I didn't know that Monk wrote both, I would have argued with anyone who said otherwise...


ok you guys,without giving away the ending or whole story in case I want to read one of these you are talking about, Bees vs Mermaids lol, what is the basic plot of the two or subject matter,that makes them so different by one writer?
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
Posts: 529
Registered: ‎11-05-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt



vivico1 wrote:

paula_02912 wrote:
kiakar wrote: "That is nothing like the Mermaid's Chair. They are entirely different subjects . You wouldnt know that either books came from the same author. They are both good in their own merits. But not alike. Some people love one and not the other and that is understandable. Good writing in both but it could be the subject matter that some people choose sides."

I think that was the difference for me...the subject matter in Chair didn't spark my interest as much as Bees' did. As you have stated, both books are two totally different ones and if I didn't know that Monk wrote both, I would have argued with anyone who said otherwise...


ok you guys,without giving away the ending or whole story in case I want to read one of these you are talking about, Bees vs Mermaids lol, what is the basic plot of the two or subject matter,that makes them so different by one writer?




Very short synopsis, Vivian, perhaps others will expand on this.
Bees - More or less a coming of age story for a girl/woman separated from her family and essentially adopted by a family of African-American sisters who just so happen to harvest honey from their beehives.

Mermaid's Chair - A middle age woman must go back home to care for her possibly mental mother who has just chopped off her finger. Separation from husband and cute sexy monk spice up the possibilities. Seriously!:0
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader


"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Users Online
Currently online:11 members 295 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: