Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt

vivico1 wrote:

AnnieS wrote:
Do all books get published into hardcover? I just read whistling in The Dark by Kagen and Lost & Found by Parkhust and I thought both were published in paperback. Both were first time published authors. Am I really out of the loop? :smileysad:

Not all books are published in hardback, some only get published in paper back. It depends on the genre for one thing. I am not a Harlequin Romance reader, so correct me if I am wrong guys, but I think all of those are published in paperback. Also there is a mystery writer I like that all hers are paperback that I have been able to find. Then most tho, tend to get published first in hardback and then may have a second release in paperback. These ARC books we get are in paperback until they do release them and then they are in hardback. I prefer hardback myself, easier to lay back and prop them up on ya and read them without breaking the spine and I like them in my shelves better. But if its a book I want, I will get it in paper back. I just finished today the Jodi Picoult book for March, Nineteen Minutes in paperback new (tho it may be a re-release). It was a long book and I would have liked to have gotten it in hard back, after about 375-400 pages, paperbacks get a bit thick and cumbersome to handle.

Ha! How well I know.  The worst was Anna Karenina in paperback. A whopping 817 pages!
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Frequent Contributor
BookSavage
0 Kudos

First time I read Les Miserables, I read the unabridged version.  It was a paperback and by the time I got halfway through with the book the pages were falling out.  I annotated all the way through it, but could not really go back and use my notes because it was torn to pieces.
Go Cubs Go!
Frequent Contributor
renhair
0 Kudos

I just got my book and I am so excited!  This looks to be an extremely interesting read and I can't wait to hear other's thoughts on it!  Talk more in March!
Contributor
noannie
0 Kudos

Hi,

Received my copy of The Sisters on Monday and finished it on Wednesday. I loved Miss Adam's style of writing and how each chapter revealed something new to the reader.I would definetly recommend it to others and look forward to reading her next book.

noannie:smileyvery-happy:
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

noannie wrote:
Hi,
Received my copy of The Sisters on Monday and finished it on Wednesday. I loved Miss Adam's style of writing and how each chapter revealed something new to the reader.I would definetly recommend it to others and look forward to reading her next book.

Talk about an early review!! LOL~!

Actually, at this rate, it may be time to leave the club until the 3rd, come back and wipe the boards clean (as already read) on the 2nd and then start fresh on the 3rd, I guess one would be sure not to get any spoilers that way huh.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

noannie wrote:
Hi,

Talk about an early review!! LOL~!

Actually, at this rate, it may be time to leave the club until the 3rd, come back and wipe the boards clean (as already read) on the 2nd and then start fresh on the 3rd, I guess one would be sure not to get any spoilers that way huh.

probably right...
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Frequent Contributor
Aunt_Beth_64
0 Kudos

In an effort to clarify.....

there is no need to wait until March 3 to begin reading the book, In fact, the goal is to have read chapters 1-5 so we can begin discussing that section on March 3.

Beth
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

I got my copy today and I am anxious to start reading; both the book and everyone's comments. 

Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

I just received my copy of "The Sister," today.  Can't wait to start reading it.
Correspondent
Rosei
0 Kudos

My advance reader's edition arrived today!!! I'm excited to start reading it :smileyvery-happy:
Reader
nurbernie
0 Kudos

I received my copy of the Sisters and can't wait to start reading it .  Thanks for including me!!!
CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

Received my copy of the book yesterday and started reading it. I am very excited about this book. It had me interested from the first sentence and I had a hard time putting it down.  CAG
CAG
Frequent Contributor
ashen_rain
0 Kudos

How much editing as the novel been through so far? I seem to be finding typos on almost every second page ...
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Butterflies

Since I don't have the book yet I don't know how the theme of butterflies works into it. But the fact that butterflies are a theme has already been presented, so while we're waiting for the discussion to start, some butterfly related material can be found here and here and here and here and here and here.
0 Kudos

Questions and Discussions

Might I make a couple of suggestions as a fellow reader who has been in all three ARC clubs now. There seems to be some anxiety about spoilers about any and all aspects of the book, for some who have not received theirs yet and I understand that perfectly. I myself would not want discussions on the little nuances of the cover, things that come with the book, things that people might be wondering where its going if I were sitting without the book too, to start to discover and talk about with everyone too. Here is what I would like to suggest.

1.Always check the thread title. Here are the ones we have now and what they are for:
"news, schedules & updates"
"How to get your free copy and enroll in the discussion"
These first two are pretty much just informational and good to check. If you are wondering about whether you are in or out or have trouble getting your book, you may want to post in the How To thread.

"The book, the author & an excerpt"
This one is informational too really, but its ok to talk about things that are posted ON that thread, not IN the book.

"Welcome and Introductions"
Say hi, introduce yourself, no discussion of the book at all, just self explanatory.

"Community room"
This is like a "getting to know you and things you like" room. Come in, talk about just about anything you want, BUT this book. Its a laid back, have fun room, while we wait.

If you think about it, its kind of like this club is a surprise birthday party and you are the guest of honor. The book and cover and appearances of it are the decorated room, where some may already be in (have their books) and are waiting for you to come. You wouldn't want some running out to say, OH, you should see the ribbons and the balloons! We may know there are some but we want to discover what they are really like ourselves. Or the community room is like a party, where we are all waiting for a surprise, so while we wait we have lots of fun getting to know each other. It wouldn't be any fun if suddenly there was someone who knew something about the surprise, starting to talk about it in their excitement, while the rest of us stand back going, wait, what? Where did they get that?

If you think about it this way, there are NO threads right now to discuss the book and won't be until the doors open to the big room on March 3rd, then newbie or old hat, you will know that right now is just to hang out, make friends, discuss movies, other books, where you live, anything you want Except the book. Its that easy really.

These are the only threads we have and if you read the name of the threads, they will tell you what you can do there, and they will once the club starts too, so its a good thing to get the hang of now. Otherwise, the only way to not have some people feel frustrated, understandably so, would be for them to not come in at all until March 3rd and who of us want to be left out or would ask someone to leave just to talk about things that arent even posted yet? Its not so hard. And we can have a great club. Lets all just relax, and not talk about the book until the club starts and just enjoy each others company. We are all adults and surely we can do that so no one is left out. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
0 Kudos

Re: Butterflies

Hello Everyman, I received my book, but I am not done yet...I have to work stuff out of the way first...thank you for putting the links up for butterflies or flutterbies as I like to say...I love butterflies, especially the blue one...I don't know the scientific name for it but it is beautiful...I saw it when I went to The Natural Museum of History in NYC a couple of years ago and fell in love with it...it is a beautiful iridescent blue with a black outline...absolutely gorgeous...I hope that you get your book soon...to all those who have begun/finished reading, I hope that you enjoyed the book...I can't wait to start discussions in March...
Peace and love,
Paula R.

"Adversity causes some people to break, but causes others to break records."

Author Unknown
Contributor
mshukers
0 Kudos

I got my book and have started reading it. I am enjoying it but am so anxious to figure out what happened between the sisters that I find all the talk on butterflies and moths as distracting.
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

mshukers wrote:
I got my book and have started reading it. I am enjoying it but am so anxious to figure out what happened between the sisters that I find all the talk on butterflies and moths as distracting.

Me too! I guess we just need to patient. Hopefully we'll find out soon. Jo
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Thanks.

No need to report typos, the arc is an uncorrected proof so Knopf will scrub it clean before it goes to press.

ashen_rain wrote:
How much editing as the novel been through so far? I seem to be finding typos on almost every second page ...

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

Maria,  any word yet on how many ARC copies were sent out to this club? Just curious. Dawn
~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Users Online
Currently online: 41 members 779 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: