Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
ashen_rain
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt

Thanks for letting me know. Reading will be much more enjoyable if I don't have to edit the book as well. :smileytongue:

Maria_H wrote:
Thanks.

No need to report typos, the arc is an uncorrected proof so Knopf will scrub it clean before it goes to press.

ashen_rain wrote:
How much editing as the novel been through so far? I seem to be finding typos on almost every second page ...

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Butterflies

Yes, the sites are awesome! Thanks Everyman.
Frequent Contributor
Aunt_Beth_64
0 Kudos

Re: Butterflies

In addition to the wonderful sites Everyman shared....those of you in the Washington D.C. area might be interested in the new butterfly exhibition in the Natural History Museum (Smithsonian). It is in two parts. Here are the descriptions from the website:

Butterflies + Plants: Partners in Evolution (FREE--No admission fee)

This immersive exhibit explores the processes and patterns of evolution, and provides visitors with an exciting new kind of experience in at the museum - a walk-through living butterfly house. Visitors can observe the many ways in which butterflies and other animals have evolved, adapted, and diversified together with their plant partners over tens of millions of years.

Butterfly Pavilion (entrance fee required)

Take a stroll among live butterflies and exotic plants! Located adjacent to Partners in Evolution, this tropical oasis offers visitors a rare opportunity to get close to a variety of living butterflies from all over the world.

Everyman wrote:
Since I don't have the book yet I don't know how the theme of butterflies works into it. But the fact that butterflies are a theme has already been presented, so while we're waiting for the discussion to start, some butterfly related material can be found here and here and here and here and here and here.

KxBurns
0 Kudos

Thayer wrote:
Maria,  any word yet on how many ARC copies were sent out to this club? Just curious. Dawn

Hi Dawn,
I don't believe we release that info.

Happy reading everyone!
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt : SPOILER? British Moths

[ Edited ]
For those who wish to look up the names of British moths as they read, here are a couple of informative websites about species native to the UK:-

And two interesting news items:-

And for those of you who fancy having a go at catching moths in your back garden (for later release of course!):-

Message Edited by Choisya on 02-25-2008 11:59 PM
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
For those who wish to look up the names of British moths as they read, here are a couple of informative websites about species native to the UK:And for those of you who fancy having a go at catching moths in your back garden (for later release of course!):-

butterflies, I will release, always. Moths? yeck, most of them die in my porchlight cover but I have no problem killing the pesky things when they are all over my porch when I am trying to get in. And they really do eat holes in clothes in they get in your house.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt : Clothes Moths

Most are harmless, only a few eat clothes and they prefer dirty clothes in dark corners.  This is the commonest species which eats clothes.  They have become less common since we started wearing more man made fibres.  I remember seeing lots of them when I was young when heavy clothes and fabrics were less easy to clean but I haven't seen any for many a year. 

These destroy foodstuffs:-

Moths and their larvae are an essential part of the food chain for birds, bats and other mammals. Blue tit chicks especially.

vivico1 wrote:

butterflies, I will release, always. Moths? yeck, most of them die in my porchlight cover but I have no problem killing the pesky things when they are all over my porch when I am trying to get in. And they really do eat holes in clothes in they get in your house.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: The Book, the Author & an Excerpt : Clothes Moths

Choisya wrote:
Most are harmless, only a few eat clothes and they prefer dirty clothes in dark corners. This is the commonest species which eats clothes. They have become less common since we started wearing more man made fibres. I remember seeing lots of them when I was young when heavy clothes and fabrics were less easy to clean but I haven't seen any for many a year.and other mammals.

vivico1 wrote:

I have only seen holes one time, in some clothes I had stored in my closet for a long time. Moths are still just nasty things to me tho. Got one in my moth one time when I was a kid and ewwww, its not like those hairy little things are going to come out intact! Ok, that makes me sick just to remember lol, so I have no problems killing a moth. A butterfly, I will be very careful with but not a moth.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
No need to be disheartened, the UK edition will actually be published in May of this year.

Maria

Carmenere_lady wrote:
I guess you've all googled Poppy Adams by now and know that The Sister was originally published in England last year under the name The Behaviour of Moths. I can see why they changed the rather botanical title, in the U.S that may not fly. No pun intended.

Any way, don't be disheartened that we're not the first to read. The same thing happened with Riverton and it didn't hurt my experience at all.

Message Edited by Maria_H on 02-26-2008 12:39 PM

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Contributor
MissKay1
0 Kudos

I just got my book today! I am very excited to be a part of this process and cannot wait to start reading tonight!

Kay:smileyvery-happy:
Correspondent
Rosei
0 Kudos

We don't have a good translation to the word moth in my country. To us here a butterfly and a moth is almost the same thing; the only difference is butterflies are colorful and quite innofensive. Moths are bigger and have toxic small particles on their wings that can make a person gets blind. 
Frequent Contributor
ELee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Moths can be quite beautiful.  For example the giant moths (Saturnidae) of North America Polyphemus or Hyalophora.

Message Edited by ELee on 03-01-2008 09:19 AM

Message Edited by ELee on 03-01-2008 09:24 AM
Frequent Contributor
songgirl7
0 Kudos

I am so bored with all the moth stuff. I'm about 100 pages in and so far there has been very little (I'd say, maybe 20%) about the sisters and it's mostly all about the study of moths. Snore. I'm having a really hard time getting through this. I really hope this moth science ends up being relevent to the story of the sisters, otherwise I'd suggest a change in title.
See what I'm reading now: Goodreads.com

"I can't stop drinking the coffee. I stop drinking the coffee, I stop the standing, and the walking and the putting-words-into-sentences doing."
Frequent Contributor
reddoglady
0 Kudos

I felt the same way -- I thought it was boring -- :smileyvery-happy:
Contributor
bichonlover1
0 Kudos

I have to disagree- I think it is going to be a good read. Maybe it helps that I do have an interest in butterflies and moths and science, but I am sure we are going to find a much deeper, hidden theme going on here.
Inspired Correspondent
Read-n-Rider
0 Kudos

ELee wrote:
Moths can be quite beautiful.  For example the giant moths (Saturnidae) of North America Polyphemus or Hyalophora.

Thanks, ELee; now I know what to call those beautiful moths I often see around my door on summer evenings!

Joan
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

songgirl7 wrote:
I am so bored with all the moth stuff. I'm about 100 pages in and so far there has been very little (I'd say, maybe 20%) about the sisters and it's mostly all about the study of moths. Snore. I'm having a really hard time getting through this. I really hope this moth science ends up being relevent to the story of the sisters, otherwise I'd suggest a change in title.

Yes, I had alittle absense of mind when I was reading the moth and butterfly history part. I tried very hard to read it so maybe I could learn something but couldnt get through it with knowing anymore than I did when I started which is not very much.
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

Is the sister relationship more complex than the brother relationship? I didn't have brothers. I had one sister. Between us there was a wide berth of years. So, I grew up with mom and dad because my sister was out and married.
Grapes
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

How many pages are in the unabridged Les Miserables. For the second time I might have bought an abridged copy.

Grapes
Grapes
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

I have my book too. I love the writing style.
Grapes
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 320 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: