KxBurns
0 Kudos

Welcomes & Introductions

[ Edited ]
Welcome to the First Look book club discussion of The Sister by Poppy Adams. I'm Karen, and I'm delighted to be returning to moderate another First Look! I'm confident you'll find The Sister an enjoyable read and that we'll have lots to talk about.

Feel free to contact me with any questions, and please use this space to introduce yourselves!

Karen

Message Edited by KxBurns on 01-28-2008 10:18 AM
Contributor
CuriousKat
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes & Introductions

Hello,
My name is Terri. This is my first time joining an online book club.
Since I read voraciously I thought it might be fun. I don't have much of any favorite type of genre in reading, I enjoy quite a large mishmash in my reading.
From fiction to non-fiction. Political, comedy, history, horror, mystery, cooking, crafting, you name it I read it. :smileywink: When it comes to reading, I am a human garbage pail, whatever piques my interest at the time when I am looking.

I hope to meet like minded people and perhaps find some new books and interests. I am a curious person.
“Let us read and let us dance - two amusements that will never do any harm

to the world.”
- Voltaire
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi everyone!

I'm so excited to join this group!!! I'm looking forward to active discussion on a book that is fresh and new. What's most refreshing to me is the fact a brand new book will be discussed without being too influenced by newspapers, advertising, and other professional reviewers. It's all fresh. We're all reading completely fresh perspectives. I love that!! I just can't wait to get started. It's one of my favorite things, to find people who love books and love discussing them.

My taste in literature runs wide and deep. I read voraciously and my bookshelves are overflowing with a variety of beautiful, well-loved novels. I read historical-fiction, classic literature, mysteries, chick-lit, you name it -- as long as it is well-written and keeps my interest. I just love all kinds of books. I've always claimed I can tell a lot about people by looking at their bookshelves, so I looked at mine the other day...I Think I'm schizophrenic!!! That's how many different types of books I have! LOL

I blame my dad. My father was a literature professor, so my bedtime stories were Shakespeare and O. Henry. He taught me to love books. It never goes away, so now I drive my family crazy with a book in my hand constantly! Ha.

By the way, can anyone else relate to the feeling of opening a brand new book for the first time? It's great, isn't it?

Suzi

Message Edited by blkeyesuzi on 01-28-2008 04:43 PM
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Hi Suzi,

It's nice to meet another, what I call, mutt-reader. Someone who reads a little bit of everything. My bookshelves sound similar to yours: Austen, mysteries (both heavy-duty and light & cozy), Shakespeare, women's fiction, biographies, historical fiction, chick lit, thrillers, horror, fantasy, sci-fi, paranormal, classics, history, etc & so on!

blkeyesuzi wrote:
Hi everyone!

I'm so excited to join this group!!! I'm looking forward to active discussion on a book that is fresh and new. What's most refreshing to me is the fact a brand new book will be discussed without being too influenced by newspapers, advertising, and other professional reviewers. It's all fresh. We're all reading completely fresh perspectives. I love that!! I just can't wait to get started. It's one of my favorite things, to find people who love books and love discussing them.

My taste in literature runs wide and deep. I read voraciously and my bookshelves are overflowing with a variety of beautiful, well-loved novels. I read historical-fiction, classic literature, mysteries, chick-lit, you name it -- as long as it is well-written and keeps my interest. I just love all kinds of books. I've always claimed I can tell a lot about people by looking at their bookshelves, so I looked at mine the other day...I Think I'm schizophrenic!!! That's how many different types of books I have! LOL

I blame my dad. My father was a literature professor, so my bedtime stories were Shakespeare and O. Henry. He taught me to love books. It never goes away, so now I drive my family crazy with a book in my hand constantly! Ha.

By the way, can anyone else relate to the feeling of opening a brand new book for the first time? It's great, isn't it?

Suzi

Message Edited by blkeyesuzi on 01-28-2008 04:43 PM

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
Oldesq
0 Kudos

Boy we all sound the same in that reading has played such an important part in our lives. I grew up in a really big family and we couldn't go to the library every day so my reading tastes early on consisted of anything that was "tome-sized." I think that was where it truly began. I mean I loved solving mysteries with Nancy Drew but one day home from school with a sore throat and I ate Nancy alive! Indeed, instead of taking away the phone or music my parents grounded me from the library!

A love of books is intimately intertwined with my experience of family love. Several years ago during a family gathering at my parent's house my sister came in from outdoors saying, "Look what we found in the park. . . ." The whole bunch of us who were standing around in the kitchen promptly responded. . ."we will take it home; we will call him Clark." (One Fish, Two Fish).

It happens so rarely now but I am always amazed when a book can draw you so deeply into its world that you completely lose yourself within its pages. I remember one summer day realizing with amazement that I had pulled a knitted wool blanket around myself as I read about an icy, wintery world.

But the best part of an amazing read is sharing and discussing it with others.
Frequent Contributor
GMorrison
0 Kudos

Hi, everyone!

This is my second time participating (at least I think I signed up in time to receive a book!) and I'm really looking forward to it. I read a *lot* of books--literary fiction, fantasy, sci-fi, history, science, you name it--and although I discuss books frequently with my friends, I'm new to the whole book club experience.

I really enjoyed participating in the last book club, because it exposed me to so many different opinions and takes on the book: I like that not everyone who read along is from my same geographic area or background. I'm looking forward to participating again (and making sure to read along with the group instead of ahead of it), and sharing impressions with everyone else!

GMorrison
Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
0 Kudos

Hi,

This will hopefully be my 3rd time participating. I read Monsters, but I had never been on a forum before and quickly got left behind.

Reading House of Riverton I was able to keep up much better and really enjoyed the forum. I think I was really able to get into the swing of the forum. I'm still busy trying to post my thoughts and responses. It's so fun!

I'm Amanda and I also always have at least one book on the go, and I read constantly. Well, as constantly as I can with two very small children. When I'm not reading my own books, I'm reading to them!

Amanda `
Contributor
stkong7
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm also glad to be joining in the First Look Book club. I'm an avid reader, and can't wait to read and discuss this new book "The Sister". This is a wonderful opportunity also for me to review and recommend to my book club.
Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
0 Kudos

blkeyesuzi wrote:
historical-fiction, classic literature, mysteries, chick-lit, you name it -- as long as it is well-written and keeps my interest. By the way, can anyone else relate to the feeling of opening a brand new book for the first time?

Hi Suzi,

Who do you read in terms of historical fiction? And yes, I can totally relate to opening a brand new book. I love that really stiff spine. I go through all the books of a particular title I'm to buy looking for the 'freshest' one. If they all seem to have been thumbed through, I'll ask if there are any in the back. I know, annoying!!!

Amanda
Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

I love the smell of a new book! They should make a man's cologne that's as nice! I also enjoy historical fiction. Ever read Margaret George?
~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

LizzieAnn wrote:
Hi Suzi,

It's nice to meet another, what I call, mutt-reader. Someone who reads a little bit of everything. My bookshelves sound similar to yours: Austen, mysteries (both heavy-duty and light & cozy), Shakespeare, women's fiction, biographies, historical fiction, chick lit, thrillers, horror, fantasy, sci-fi, paranormal, classics, history, etc & so on!

Hi LizzieAnn,

Nice to meet you! Mutt-reader...I like that. Too funny.

Suzi

I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. --John Burroughs
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Contributor
Brach12
0 Kudos

Hi my name is Brenda and I live in Southeast MA. This is my 2nd First Look Book Club. I had a hard time with the 1st one--mainly because it seemed alot of the posts were coming to the same conclusion or storyline as I was, so I didn't want to repeat what was already being said. I enjoyed reading the posts 2-3 times weekly. Thoroughly enjoyed The House at Riverton, hope to join in more with the next group.
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Amanda-Louise wrote:

blkeyesuzi wrote:
historical-fiction, classic literature, mysteries, chick-lit, you name it -- as long as it is well-written and keeps my interest. By the way, can anyone else relate to the feeling of opening a brand new book for the first time?

Hi Suzi,

Who do you read in terms of historical fiction? And yes, I can totally relate to opening a brand new book. I love that really stiff spine. I go through all the books of a particular title I'm to buy looking for the 'freshest' one. If they all seem to have been thumbed through, I'll ask if there are any in the back. I know, annoying!!!

Amanda

Hi Amanda-Louise,

Historical-Fiction: Rosemunde Pilcher, Elizabeth Kostova, Sarah Waters (Fantastic, "Night Watch"), Paul Auster, Charles Frazier...those are a few I can think of off the top of my head. I also adore Erik Larson.

I'm really not sure all of those would be considered historical fiction, now that I think of it... But close as far as I'm concerned. :-)

Suzi

I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. --John Burroughs
Suzi

Inspired Contributor
JoyZ
0 Kudos

My name is Joy and I live in California. This is my 2nd First Look. I really enjoyed the House at Riverton and am looking forward to this one. Last time I got my book much later than others, so hope to get a jump start this time. I have always enjoyed the freshness of a new book and like to read many genres. It sounds like most of us do.
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Thayer wrote:
I love the smell of a new book! They should make a man's cologne that's as nice! I also enjoy historical fiction. Ever read Margaret George?

Hi Thayer!

Nice to meet you. I'm not familiar with Margaret George, but have looked her up on B&N. Perhaps the reason I'm not familiar is that I tend to read within that genre placed in the 19th and 20th centuries (more often 20th centuries, unless I'm reading classics.) I admit that I just bought "The Other Boleyn Girl", so perhaps I've spoken too soon! ;-)

Suzi

Suzi

Frequent Contributor
psujulie
0 Kudos

Hi! I'm Julie and I'm a stay-at-home mother of two who loves to read! Like a lot of the other women who have posted, I read just about anything but I prefer fiction. I was fortunate enought to participate in THE HOUSE AT RIVERTON discussion and had a great time!I'm looking forward to "meeting" all of you in the next couple of weeks.
http://bookingmama.blogspot.com/
Contributor
Johanna88
0 Kudos

My name is Johanna and I was part of the previous first look discussion board. The book was: The house at Riverton. That read was an amazing one and I truly recommend it to everyone who has some time to read a good book. I am looking forward to this book and writing my opinions on it. I can't wait to speak to the author either. Good reading to everyone!
Frequent Contributor
mrsvaljones
0 Kudos

Hello Valerie Jones here in rainy :smileysad: southern California. I am 25, and a divorced mom of two beautiful boys. I am finally started back to school after a looooong break. I would have to say that reading is my one true hobby. I read when the kids are naping and after they have gone to bed. Reading keeps my sanity in this insane world. I hope I got in to this First Look.
Valerie Jones
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams..." -Dr. Seuss
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

mrsvaljones wrote:
Hello Valerie Jones here in rainy :smileysad: southern California. I am 25, and a divorced mom of two beautiful boys. I am finally started back to school after a looooong break. I would have to say that reading is my one true hobby. I read when the kids are naping and after they have gone to bed. Reading keeps my sanity in this insane world. I hope I got in to this First Look.

Greetings, Valerie. I also live in So. Ca., the Inland Empire...near Hemet. What part of soggy Ca. do you hail from?
Kathy S.
Frequent Contributor
mrsvaljones
0 Kudos

Kathy S.
I live in Murrieta, right down the street from you. Wow, the world is such a small place.
Valerie Jones
Valerie Jones
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams..." -Dr. Seuss
Users Online
Currently online:118 members 642 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: