Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
pj4me
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes & Introductions

Hello everyone. I hope I got in on time to participate. I have never participated in a book club so this will be a new experience for me. I have challenged myself to read outside my typical selections more often this year and I thought this would be a good way to do this. I read mostly thriller/suspense, chick lit and romantic suspense. So this year I have found myself reading a lot more general fiction, non fiction and even an historical fiction novel (which is definately a stretch for me) in order to broaden my horizons. I look forward to getting to know others who love to read. Reading has always been a passion of mine and when I don't get to read it is like I am missing one of my dearest friends.
Reader 4
ccp006
0 Kudos

Hi my name is Caroline, and I love to read and can't wait to read this book, it looks great!
KxBurns
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! It's nice to see so many new faces among the repeat First Lookers! And, of course, nice to have those of you back who were here for House or Monsters :smileyhappy:
Contributor
DreamAngel052986
0 Kudos

hi my name is caitlin im 22 years old and my favorite thing to do is read.

if you want to know more just read what pj4me wrote because we are deffinatley in the same boat!

pj4me wrote:
Hello everyone. I hope I got in on time to participate. I have never participated in a book club so this will be a new experience for me. I have challenged myself to read outside my typical selections more often this year and I thought this would be a good way to do this. I read mostly thriller/suspense, chick lit and romantic suspense. So this year I have found myself reading a lot more general fiction, non fiction and even an historical fiction novel (which is definately a stretch for me) in order to broaden my horizons. I look forward to getting to know others who love to read. Reading has always been a passion of mine and when I don't get to read it is like I am missing one of my dearest friends.

"Literature is my Utopia. Here I am not disenfranchised. No barrier of the senses shuts me out from the sweet, gracious discourses of my book friends. They talk to me without embarrassment or awkwardness."
Helen Keller (1880 - 1968)
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Brach12 wrote:
Hi my name is Brenda and I live in Southeast MA. This is my 2nd First Look Book Club. I had a hard time with the 1st one--mainly because it seemed alot of the posts were coming to the same conclusion or storyline as I was, so I didn't want to repeat what was already being said. I enjoyed reading the posts 2-3 times weekly. Thoroughly enjoyed The House at Riverton, hope to join in more with the next group.

Hi Brenda - I grew up in Scituate, MA a small town about 30 miles south of Boston but re located to Fl those New England winters were killing us. We're still fans of the Pats though! Glad to hear you enjoyed the HAR I loved it.

Happy reading
kaye
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
0 Kudos

Hi Karen, I signed up for this one too and I hope I get in. I truly enjoyed reading The House at Riverton...that was a great pick for January. The Sister sounds very interesting...I am glad that you are going to be the moderator for this one too...
Peace and love,
Paula R.

"Adversity causes some people to break, but causes others to break records."

Author Unknown
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Good to be with you again, Karen -- assuming I get in this one, too.

Somebody else asked you how the First Look books are chosen. I wondered the same thing.

I am interested to note that of the three books, all three have been by women, and all three have, at least as it appears from the description of The Sister, females as the protagonists and main characters.

I'm wondering whether this is coincidental or intentional, at least on some level. Are you focusing on giving new female writers the boost of the First Look program? Is more contemporary fiction (I read mostly classics, so don't keep up that much with contemporary fiction) written by or about women? Or is it that since most of the participants in in the First Look programs to date have been woman (as it seems are most of the participants on the Book Clubs generally) are you selecting books that you think will particularly appeal to female readers? Or is it purely coincidental?

As one of the few male readers in the two previous First Look groups, and it appears from the Introductions thread likely to be one of the few male readers of The Sisters, I find myself reading with a somewhat different approach and focus as many of the other readers. So I was curious about hy this distaff focus seemed so prevalent in the First Look selections.
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Just wanted to say hi! Allison here from Missouri..back again to hopefully snag this new First Look book. I loved being a part of The House of Riverton club...It was overwhelming the number of posts, but I love reading people's different points of view too! This new book looks really good! Looking forward to discussing it with everyone...(if I get it..)!!

Message Edited by AllieK on 01-29-2008 11:36 AM
CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:
Good to be with you again, Karen -- assuming I get in this one, too.

Somebody else asked you how the First Look books are chosen. I wondered the same thing.

I am interested to note that of the three books, all three have been by women, and all three have, at least as it appears from the description of The Sister, females as the protagonists and main characters.

I'm wondering whether this is coincidental or intentional, at least on some level. Are you focusing on giving new female writers the boost of the First Look program? Is more contemporary fiction (I read mostly classics, so don't keep up that much with contemporary fiction) written by or about women? Or is it that since most of the participants in in the First Look programs to date have been woman (as it seems are most of the participants on the Book Clubs generally) are you selecting books that you think will particularly appeal to female readers? Or is it purely coincidental?

As one of the few male readers in the two previous First Look groups, and it appears from the Introductions thread likely to be one of the few male readers of The Sisters, I find myself reading with a somewhat different approach and focus as many of the other readers. So I was curious about hy this distaff focus seemed so prevalent in the First Look selections.

Hi Karen: I am looking forward to this book club (assuming I get in) and have enjoyed the other two First Look clubs. I am also interested in knowing how you pick the books for First Look and had the same question as Everyman-is there a reason why the first three have been female writers?
CAG
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Val, that's so funny! I actually live in Homeland, even closer. One of my good friends lives in Murrieta, and works in the ceramic's dept. at MSJC, where I'm headed this morning.
Have a great day - The sun is shinning!! Yea!
Kathy S.

mrsvaljones wrote:
Kathy S.
I live in Murrieta, right down the street from you. Wow, the world is such a small place.
Valerie Jones

Contributor
RaevenDarcluv
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,
I was apart of the last book House at Riverton and I hope to get into this one. Good luck to all who joined!!
Frequent Contributor
AllieK
0 Kudos

Just curious..has anyone gotten a return PM saying they got the book yet? Because there are so many request, I am sure it will take a while to get them out, but just wondering it ANYONE has gotten one yet?? ;-)

Allison
Inspired Correspondent
Read-n-Rider
0 Kudos

Not me, but I just signed up this morning. I am such a klutz! I had visiting grandchildren this past weekend; they had 3 days off from school and all day yesterday it seemed like it was Sunday. We took the kids home last night and this morning I signed in to B&N, thinking I would be one of the first to sign up for the new First Look. Imagine my chagrin when I realized finally that I was a day late! Hope I was not TOO late....

Joan
Inspired Contributor
gosox
0 Kudos

I was wondering the same thing. I did notice the message has been read, but I have not received a PM yet. I hope that I get in because I so enjoyed my experience with the House at Riverton.
:smileyhappy:
Contributor
OldMustyBooks
0 Kudos

AllieK wrote:
Just curious..has anyone gotten a return PM saying they got the book yet? Because there are so many request, I am sure it will take a while to get them out, but just wondering it ANYONE has gotten one yet?? ;-)

Allison

I just got mine! YAY! I can't wait for this one to actually start. This book sounds awesome!

Oh yeah, I'm Rachel from Florida. Nice to meet everyone
To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly. No exceptions. ~William James
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi Karen,
I'm in just got my message.
I'm so glad you'll be moderating you have a great perspective on the books we've read so far and I look forward to being part of it with you again.
I'm Debbie I live in a very tiny town near St. Louis, MO and I work full time at a graphic design firm. I've also been a part of Monsters and Riverton, and what an experience, I've had great fun got to meet and discuss the books with lots of great people and can't wait to do it again.
Debbie
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

I just got my PM so I'm in for March :smileyhappy:

KxBurns wrote:
Welcome to the First Look book club discussion of The Sister by Poppy Adams. I'm Karen, and I'm delighted to be returning to moderate another First Look! I'm confident you'll find The Sister an enjoyable read and that we'll have lots to talk about.

Feel free to contact me with any questions, and please use this space to introduce yourselves!

Karen

Message Edited by KxBurns on 01-28-2008 10:18 AM

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Contributor
Countrygirl
0 Kudos

Hi my name is Bridgette. I am very excited to get picked for this group. I look forward to talking about the book. This is my first book club and can not wait to get started.
Frequent Contributor
ELee
0 Kudos

pedsphleb wrote:
I just got my PM so I'm in for March

Me too!
Frequent Contributor
AllieK
0 Kudos

How funny...in less then 30 mins after putting that note in here asking who had gotten their PM's..they start showing up!! I just got mine!! WOO hoo!! can't wait to get the book and get reading it!! :-)
Users Online
Currently online: 39 members 417 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: