Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Rosei
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes & Introductions

Hello everyone! I´m Rosangela, from Brazil, an active reader and book lover. I´m very excited for this book club beginning. It´s great to have a first look at a brand-new and interesting reader.

It´s a pleasure to exchange ideas with you.

Big hugs!
Contributor
Teapharm03
0 Kudos

I missed the first book that this club read. I did read "The House of Riverton" and loved it. I now look forward to next book "The Sister." I can't wait to start it.
Teapharmo3
Frequent Contributor
hpthatbme
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! I was able to check my message just now and I am in. I am glad to be in, this book looks interesting although it reminds me of another book. I am Heather from VA(I noticed there is one from Michigan so I needed to differentiate--lol) I enjoyed both the previous books from First Look and hope this one is just as good.
dg
Frequent Contributor
dg
0 Kudos

I did the exact same thing - read it non-stop and was afraid of writing about something others hadn't read yet. Now that I can see the schedule I'm going to try to read it slowly and read it with the group. So glad I got in. It looks like a good book.
Frequent Contributor
Kimmi373
0 Kudos

Re: Hi There

[ Edited ]

LizzieAnn wrote:
Hi, I'm Liz from the Western NY area. I just got my PM confirmation & I'm looking forward to both reading the book & discussing it with all of you. It's great to see a lot of names I know! I know it'll be a great discussion.

Hi my name is Kim, I am also from the Western New York Area ('burb north of buffalo)... Hi Liz, where abouts in the area are you?

I am a recently single mother of three ( 2 boys... 11 & 4 and 1 girl... 9) My children are my haert and soul and my books are my treasures, and I love to treasure hunt for new things to add to my collection. I will read anything that catches my eye, is suggested, makes a list, is assigned, I will even read a book I don't necessary care for until the end because who knows... I may like the ending!

I am really looking forward to our discussions!

Message Edited by Kimmi373 on 01-29-2008 07:50 PM
I don’t want realism. I want magic!
~ Tennessee Williams, "A Streetcar Named Desire"
Frequent Contributor
Terrie
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone!
I got my message - I'm in - and so happy! I was in The House of Riverton - my "newbie" experience - and not sure I've graduated yet to the next level! Loved the book and the experience!! I'm from Wisconsin, age 50, have grown kids and very young grandchildren - so trips to the library now include story times for the kids! Like you all, I'm rarely seen without a book in hand and love most, if not all genres! AND YES - there's nothing like the sensation of opening a new book!! Am looking forward to talking with all of you! Terrie
Carpe Diem!
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

Teresa45 wrote:
Hi,
I'm happy to be included in this second book. I read the House at Riverton and enjoyed reading all the comments. I didn't post last time but hope to this time.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good romance novel. This is what my local book club is looking for. My suggestion is Rebecca. We need more than one. Thanks

My favorite last year was "Tiger Eye" by Marjorie Liu.
Frequent Contributor
FrankieD
0 Kudos

"The House at Riverton" was a great bbok to read...although it took me a little while to get used to the reading pace so I wouldn't get too far ahead...and to get used to the volume of messages to read...but...I did get better acquainted with it and now I'm all set for our next encounter..."The Sister". I'm just getting into "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini...my 3rd book since we left Riverton...I should finish it in time for March :smileyhappy:...although the kids are back in school tomorrow...I teach high school!!
Welcome to everyone...

FrankieD :smileyhappy:
" The longer I live...the more beautiful life becomes."
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Teresa45 wrote: Does anyone have a suggestion for a good romance novel. This is what my local book club is looking for. My suggestion is Rebecca. We need more than one. Thanks

Hi Teresa,
Welcome to the book club! You may have some more luck posting a query in Romantic Reads, in fact, we have a number of romance authors hanging out there. Good luck!

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Hi! I am Laura and I live on the south coast of Maine. I have been doing on-line book discussions with B&N for over four years now, but this will be my first experience with First Look. My favorite genre is historical fiction, but I read all sorts of fiction, but very little non-fiction.

I am glad to see so many participants, many of whom I know, but even more new faces! I look forward to reading and talking with all of you.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Inspired Correspondent
Read-n-Rider
0 Kudos

Hi, Everyone; I did get my acceptance PM today, too (Thanks, Maria!), and am happy to be included in this, the third, First Look discussion. I'm Joan, in Central New York. I'm retired, married, and have 3 grown sons and 8 grandchildren. I have always loved to read and that, along with caring for my 3 horses, Border Collie and barn cat, keeps me busy and provides many hours of enjoyment.

The Sister sounds like a great book; like the rest of you, I'm anxious to get started on it!
Reader
ladylala
0 Kudos

Hi there. Just checked my messages and found out I'm in this club!! Woo~hoo!!!! I was in the first one and LOVED it. I can't wait to get started. I'm in VA, I love to knit, read and learn new things. I look forward to chatting with everyone in the coming weeks.
What we do not make conscious emerges later as fate.
-Carl Jung
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Greetings familiar names and newbies,

I'm LyndaSue fresh off of House at Riverton. It was a wonderful experience to read and discuss a new book, unfamiliar to us all and look forward to doing the same with The Sister.

I too grew up loving books and always carry one with me. You just never know when you'll have to wait for a train to pass, geese to cross or heavy traffic, and why waste the opportunity :smileywink:
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

Suzi, I, too have read The Other Bolelyn Girl. It's very good. Margaret George wrote a book titled The Autobiography of Henry VIII, which is quite good as well (if you are into the period.) I am a big fan of Phillipa Gregory. I also enjoy Diana Gabaldon.
~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

AllieK wrote:
Just curious..has anyone gotten a return PM saying they got the book yet? Because there are so many request, I am sure it will take a while to get them out, but just wondering it ANYONE has gotten one yet?? ;-)

Allison

Yes. I got mine today. I am sure you will get yours in the next day or so.
CAG
Contributor
time452play
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I got my acceptance today! This is the first time I have joined a book club and I am looking forward to it. I work full time, school full time, and have 3 kids and a grandchild on the way. I enjoy reading many kinds of books and when I read my 5 kitty cats enjoy sitting with me :smileyhappy:

I reside in California - glad to meet everyone.
Contributor
mntdew
0 Kudos

Hello everybody,
This will be my first time joining a book club and I greatly looking forward to it. Any tips or tricks that anyone can pass on would be greatly appreciated! My favorite authors include: Johnathan Kellerman, Iris Johansen, Patricia Cornwell & Perri o'Shaunessy.
Inspired Contributor
nadine1
0 Kudos

Hi, everyone!

Although I liked reading The House at Riverton, I was challenged keeping up with all of the posts from the book club members. I was thrilled when I received the PM confirming my enrollment in The Sisters' book club. I am looking forward to reading something new.

On a personal note, I am searching for a teaching job in central New Jersey and am the proud human of a playful blue-eyed, white long-haired cat.
New User
whitefloyd
0 Kudos

Hello everybody!
I look forward to this read and the conversation to follow.
Hope to make lots of freinds! ;-)
whitepink
Contributor
Rugbugcr
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

Denise here from Iowa. I'm so excited to be included in the First Look: The Sister book club. My first club was The House at Riverton, but I got a late start and found it hard to keep up with the chapter postings. So this time I'm ready to get the book started and stay on track. Read you in the POSTS!
Users Online
Currently online: 108 members 343 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: