New User
alialialison
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes & Introductions

Hi Everyone,

My name is Alison and I live in the Seattle area. This is my first online book club, it's actually kind of my first book club of any type. I just recently joined a book club in my area but we won't start meeting until March. I enjoy reading all types of books and since graduating from the UW I find myself missing reading a good book and discussing it. I look forward to getting to know all of you and reading what I hope will be a good book.
Frequent Contributor
Jodi
0 Kudos

Hi Im Jodi from Wisconsin. Im in. This is my 3rd first look club. Im excited to read this book. Thanks BN for this opportunity.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Teresa45 wrote:
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good romance novel. This is what my local book club is looking for. My suggestion is Rebecca. We need more than one. Thanks

For romance, you can't beat Jane Austen.
0 Kudos

Bonnie824 wrote:

Teresa45 wrote:
Hi,
I'm happy to be included in this second book. I read the House at Riverton and enjoyed reading all the comments. I didn't post last time but hope to this time.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good romance novel. This is what my local book club is looking for. My suggestion is Rebecca. We need more than one. Thanks

My favorite last year was "Tiger Eye" by Marjorie Liu.

If you want a really different romance novel, try Peony in Love, but Lisa See. If you like period pieces, this is one but it will take you back to the 1500s China, with young women with bound feet, Pagoda gardens,plays for men and women separated so they will not see each other, except when one young woman, peeks through the cracks and sees one young man. There is mystery, ancient religious beliefs, hidden love, unrequited love, a story of women and generations of women and a love between a man and woman in this life and the next. Very different and lots to talk about in it. There is romance in it, but even more there is a story of many kinds of love.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:
Hi! I am Laura and I live on the south coast of Maine. I have been doing on-line book discussions with B&N for over four years now, but this will be my first experience with First Look. My favorite genre is historical fiction, but I read all sorts of fiction, but very little non-fiction.

I am glad to see so many participants, many of whom I know, but even more new faces! I look forward to reading and talking with all of you.

FOZZIE! Hey there! Good to see you. Laura, even time I see your name "Fozzie", I smile and want to do the Fozzie Bear laugh and shake sideways and tell a corny joke lol. I loved Fozzie Bear on the Muppets. Thats probably why I called you Fozzie more often, when last we were in a club together, than Laura. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
lamorgan
0 Kudos

This will be my second book with First Look. I know those of you who are new will find this very enjoyable. It really gave me a fresh look at how I read. As I analyzed the book, I found myself doing the same with other books I was reading. I began to notice things I normally wouldn't have in books.
I'm looking forward to participating again and welcome to those who are here for the first time!
Contributor
tablyden
0 Kudos

Hello fellow avid readers! ;o) I am excited to get the next first look book! I had the privelage of reading The House at Riverton as my first experience with this club. I am looking forward to this time around after seeing how things work with the board discussions. I received the last book a bit late and without knowing how it is set up I avoided signing on while fearing I would find spoilers before I got a chance to read the book for myself. I can't wait to have another chance at this without the fear of joining discussions online after seeing how it is organized. :smileytongue: A very big thank you to B&N for not only being my favorite place to escape to away from home but also a nice break from the daily grind right here at home.

-Tamara
Reader 2
Mselet
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hello Everyone!

My name is Trina, and this is my first book club experience, so I'm excited to join the discussion. Like everyone else, I believe, I love to read, and often have several books "going" at the same time, placed strategically around the house.

I love the idea of having a man's cologne smell like a new book. Perhaps we could call it "First Run;" when you man is hot off the press! :-)

Anyhoo, I look forward to reading, discussing, and sniffing with you all!

Trina

Message Edited by Mselet on 01-30-2008 12:20 AM
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Thayer wrote:
Suzi, I, too have read The Other Bolelyn Girl. It's very good. Margaret George wrote a book titled The Autobiography of Henry VIII, which is quite good as well (if you are into the period.) I am a big fan of Phillipa Gregory. I also enjoy Diana Gabaldon.

Thayer,

Thanks for the suggestions! Although I tend to prefer depression era fiction and non-fiction, I'm always looking for a good read, regardless of setting.

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Reader 2
sherrywk
0 Kudos

Hi

I'm Sherry. I live in Tokyo, Japan. This is my first time to join the First Look book club. I am very excited to get this chance. Looking foward to all the discussions.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi, Sherry! Welcome!...Nice to have you join in. Enjoy!
Kathy S.

sherrywk wrote:
Hi

I'm Sherry. I live in Tokyo, Japan. This is my first time to join the First Look book club. I am very excited to get this chance. Looking foward to all the discussions.

Message Edited by KathyS on 01-29-2008 11:22 PM
Contributor
Cyndell
0 Kudos

Amanda-Louise wrote:
Hi,

This will hopefully be my 3rd time participating. I read Monsters, but I had never been on a forum before and quickly got left behind.

Reading House of Riverton I was able to keep up much better and really enjoyed the forum. I think I was really able to get into the swing of the forum. I'm still busy trying to post my thoughts and responses. It's so fun!

I'm Amanda and I also always have at least one book on the go, and I read constantly. Well, as constantly as I can with two very small children. When I'm not reading my own books, I'm reading to them!

Amanda `

Hello,

This is my second time joining the First Look Club. I'm glad you mentioned you got left behind while reading your first book Monsters. I felt that way with the House of Riverton, it was my first time in the club. I quickly read the book and then hit the boards to post my thoughts. I didn't post much as I didn't have much to add that hadn't already been posted by then. I had a great time reading everyone's point of view of the book though. This time I will read the book and post my thoughts as I'm reading it.

I'm as tickled as can be to be accepted again. I am an avid reader and have always loved to read. I'm a book junkie! What does the contents of my bookshelves say about me...I know what my husband would say it says, she buys too many books!

Nice to meet you all!

Cindy
Contributor
Brach12
0 Kudos

Hi Kaye,

GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!

Brenda
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

FOZZIE! Hey there! Good to see you. Laura, even time I see your name "Fozzie", I smile and want to do the Fozzie Bear laugh and shake sideways and tell a corny joke lol. I loved Fozzie Bear on the Muppets. Thats probably why I called you Fozzie more often, when last we were in a club together, than Laura. :smileywink:

LOL!!! :smileyhappy:

I, too, love the Muppets. I actually used Fozzie as my CB handle, way back when in the 1970's! Thought it would work here too. Of all the names (Kermit, Miss Piggy, Beaker, Dr. Honeydew, Gonzo, etc.), Fozzie seemed the most normal. However, I would liken myself more to Miss Piggy!
:smileywink:
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Inspired Contributor
Popper19
0 Kudos

Hi

I'm Becky from Northeastern Wisconsin. This is my 3rd First Look Club and I'm excited to be able to participate again. For Monsters I read the whole thing right away, but with HAR I went chapter by chapter and posted. I liked that much better. I was able to participate more and not have to worry about posting spoilers. I read approximately a book a week and I pretty much read anything and everything. I'm looking foward to discussing The Sister with everyone!
Frequent Contributor
ELee
0 Kudos

blkeyesuzi wrote:

Thayer wrote:
Suzi, I, too have read The Other Bolelyn Girl. It's very good. Margaret George wrote a book titled The Autobiography of Henry VIII, which is quite good as well (if you are into the period.) I am a big fan of Phillipa Gregory. I also enjoy Diana Gabaldon.

Thayer,

Thanks for the suggestions! Although I tend to prefer depression era fiction and non-fiction, I'm always looking for a good read, regardless of setting.

Suzi

Margaret George is an accomplished writer of historical fiction. I would also recommend The Autobiography of Henry VIII, but be prepared - her books are quite "thick"! Even more than Henry VIII, I loved her novel about Cleopatra. Regarding depression era fiction, if you have not read it already, you might want to try Sara Gruen's Water For Elephants. It was a recent selection in the B&N Book Clubs and is well-recommended.
Contributor
mnotto
0 Kudos

Hi -- I'm Melissa from Pennsylvania and I'm a stay-at-home Mom. I love to read and am very excited to participate in the First Look book club. Looking forward to meeting everyone and discussing the book!
Frequent Contributor
flamingo
0 Kudos

I'm in Woo~hoo!!!! Enjoyed House of Riverton and am sooo looking forward to Sister. Wasn't quite adept at posting as I read - but I'm fired up and ready this time. Read on here somewhere that reading & posting changes the way you read & I agree. It makes me much more aware. I think it really enhances the whole reading experience. This is so much fun. By way of introduction - I'm to be 60 this year :smileysad: Mother of 1, Stepmom of 2 and grandma of 10. Love historical fiction, nonfiction & romance. Can't wait to get started.
So many books, So little time
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

LOL!!! :smileyhappy:

I, too, love the Muppets. I actually used Fozzie as my CB handle, way back when in the 1970's! Thought it would work here too. Of all the names (Kermit, Miss Piggy, Beaker, Dr. Honeydew, Gonzo, etc.), Fozzie seemed the most normal. However, I would liken myself more to Miss Piggy!
:smileywink:

I used to do a perfect Fozzie voice too lol, was so funny. I havent tried in years and am not going to try while recouping from nasal surgery, I am doing good to get my own voice out lol. FOZZZIEEEEEE BEAARRRRRR AAAAAHHHHHH! heheheehe
Vivian
Inspired Correspondent
nfam
0 Kudos

This is my third time participating in First Look. I enjoyed the first two books, particularly "The House at Riverton." My book group will use it as one of their selections this spring. I particularly enjoy the question and answer sessions with the authors. You learn so much that way.

I'm very much looking forward to "The Sisters" Can't wait to start!

Nancy
Users Online
Currently online:48 members 410 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: