Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Re: Hi There

Hi Kim - I'm also north of Buffalo - the Wheatfield/North Tonawanda area. How are you enjoying our wind today?

I love how you liken books to a treasure & the search for books a treasure hunt. I too will read anything that catches my eye - that's why I have such a varied mix of books on shelves. Sometimes I too push myself to finish a book I've started - I hate the thought of not finishing a book. I also have books that I put aside because I can't get into them & pick up much later - then I can sometimes read them

Kimmi373 wrote:

Hi my name is Kim, I am also from the Western New York Area ('burb north of buffalo)... Hi Liz, where abouts in the area are you?

I am a recently single mother of three ( 2 boys... 11 & 4 and 1 girl... 9) My children are my haert and soul and my books are my treasures, and I love to treasure hunt for new things to add to my collection. I will read anything that catches my eye, is suggested, makes a list, is assigned, I will even read a book I don't necessary care for until the end because who knows... I may like the ending!

I am really looking forward to our discussions!

Message Edited by Kimmi373 on 01-29-2008 07:50 PM

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Contributor
Luminalfire5
0 Kudos

YAY I got my confirmation! This will be my second time participating in the First Look. I participated in the Monsters of Templeton (Fantastic book, for those who haven't read it yet, I recommend it!). I missed last months due to family health reasons and was bummed :smileysad: So I'm excited! Can't wait for it to come!
Correspondent
detailmuse
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes & Introductions

Hi all! I'm MJ, reading in Chicago. Looking forward to this book and discussion -- thanks to B&N and Knopf for making it available!
New User
esche
0 Kudos

Hi-

I'm esche and this is my first time joining an online book club. Looking forward to reading the book and the online discussion.
Inspired Contributor
no4daughter
0 Kudos

I was so excited when I got my PM telling me that I am in for this book. The House at Riverton was my first time participating in any type of bookclub. This time around I am going to make the effort to not jump ahead in my reading. I have a hard time not reading a book at all times and also reading more than one book at a time so this will be a challenge for me. I will have to read some magazines instead!

By way of introduction my name is Linda. I am 50 and the mother of 3 daughters: 1 lives in Iowa, 1 lives nearby, and 1 is a high school student and still at home. I live in Northwestern WI and work as a judicial paralegal in Northeastern MN. Hi to the others from WI that have already introduced yourselves.

linda
Frequent Contributor
adoring_fan
0 Kudos

AnnaB wrote:
My name is Anna and I am a stay at home mom of almost 4 year old triplets. Reading is my relaxation and fun :smileyhappy: This is my first online book club, but I enjoy a local book club that meets monthly. I can't wait to get started!

Hi, Anna! Triplets?!?! My twins are 5. I'm in awe of you.
Krystn
I am only as strong as the cocktails I drink, the hairspray I use, and the girlfriends I have....
Frequent Contributor
MsMorninglight
0 Kudos

Hi There,

This is so much fun! This is the first time I'll have participated in a Book Club, as well as my first time with First Look.

I'm retiring & today is officially my last day of work, so this is a wonderful way to begin doing the things that I enjoy the most; reading of course being in the top 10!

Happily, I have received my confirm & the excerpts have piqued my interest! I look forward to seeing how The Sister will unfold & how, after a 50 year separation these two sisters will change each others lives.

"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind." - Henry James
Frequent Contributor
Luvstoread
0 Kudos

I'm in! Just got my PM. Can't wait to get started on this one!!!
Luvs2read (a/k/a Norma)
Frequent Contributor
Luvstoread
0 Kudos

detailmuse wrote:
Hi all! I'm MJ, reading in Chicago. Looking forward to this book and discussion -- thanks to B&N and Knopf for making it available!

Hi MJ -- I'm in Chicago too! Well, I work in downtown Chicago but live in the burbs.
Luvs2read (a/k/a Norma)
Frequent Contributor
Kimmi373
0 Kudos

LizzieAnn wrote:

Hi Kim - I'm also north of Buffalo - the Wheatfield/North Tonawanda area. How are you enjoying our wind today?

I love how you liken books to a treasure & the search for books a treasure hunt. I too will read anything that catches my eye - that's why I have such a varied mix of books on shelves. Sometimes I too push myself to finish a book I've started - I hate the thought of not finishing a book. I also have books that I put aside because I can't get into them & pick up much later - then I can sometimes read them

I live right on the Williamsville/Cheektowaga border. I would be enjoying this wonderful weather... if the kids had school! lol. I have seven kids aged 4-11 roaming the house today... mine, my sisters and the neighbors! When I was a kid I loved snow days, as an adult... not so much!!!
I don’t want realism. I want magic!
~ Tennessee Williams, "A Streetcar Named Desire"
Frequent Contributor
BookSavage
0 Kudos

Hello everyone! I'm Jeremiah from Amarillo, Texas. I got my confirmation this morning and am very excited to join this discussion. Never been a part of an online book club, so this will be new and should be fun. Happy reading to all.
Go Cubs Go!
Frequent Contributor
dghobbs
0 Kudos

Hello from High Point, NJ

Hello,

My name is Doug. I am from High Point, New Jersey. I am really looking forward to discussing "The Sister". This is my "First Look" at a book. This is an exciting opportunity! :smileyhappy:Doug
Reader
nicolemosco
0 Kudos

This is my first time in the Barnes and Noble First Look Book Club; my friend has participated in the past and recommended this club to me. I'm in a "real-life" book club, but am very interested in engaging in this on-line format, especially with the enticement of reading a brand new book!
Frequent Contributor
jmcnaughton
0 Kudos

Hi all, I'm Jean from the frigid thumb of Michigan.

This is my second "First Look". Unlike others, I was a little disappointed in "Riverton," but now I get a chance to read "The Sisters." I also had a really tough time keeping up with the many posts (I think I'm still more than 3,000 behind on the last First Look)!

Like many of you, I read anything and everything I can get my hands on. It's not unusual for me to have 3-4 books going at the same time. I've also been accused of reading cookbooks like novels. But, hey, there are a lot worse addictions I could have.

I'll be on vacation for the first part of "The Sisters", but I think it will make an excellent read for the ten hour layover I have! It should be a very pleasurable way to kill time!
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm in - from beautiful downtown Southern Calif.!

I'm in! - Hi Liz! Looks like some familiar faces are arriving - and also..a lot of new and excited readers to join this reading group.
I'm looking forward to discussing another wonderfully selected [have no doubt] novel. Clearing the flight plan!
See you on the tarmac!

Kathy S.
Distinguished Correspondent
lmpmn
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:
Good to be with you again, Karen -- assuming I get in this one, too.

Somebody else asked you how the First Look books are chosen. I wondered the same thing.

I am interested to note that of the three books, all three have been by women, and all three have, at least as it appears from the description of The Sister, females as the protagonists and main characters.

I'm wondering whether this is coincidental or intentional, at least on some level. Are you focusing on giving new female writers the boost of the First Look program? Is more contemporary fiction (I read mostly classics, so don't keep up that much with contemporary fiction) written by or about women? Or is it that since most of the participants in in the First Look programs to date have been woman (as it seems are most of the participants on the Book Clubs generally) are you selecting books that you think will particularly appeal to female readers? Or is it purely coincidental?

As one of the few male readers in the two previous First Look groups, and it appears from the Introductions thread likely to be one of the few male readers of The Sisters, I find myself reading with a somewhat different approach and focus as many of the other readers. So I was curious about hy this distaff focus seemed so prevalent in the First Look selections.

Hi Everyman...I find it interesting reading all the posts in the Welcomes and Introductions thread to find a great majority of them seem to be from women. Speaking just for myself, I appreciate the male perspective on books that in my opinion are intended for a more female audience. Thanks for keeping up with "all us girls" :smileyhappy: and giving us your unique thoughts.

Hi to everyone else! I've been most lucky to have been a part of each of the First Look discussions and have enjoyed each one immensely. I'm a single parent, a college grad, although I'm unemployed right now (however an argument can be made about being a mom to a 12-year-old girl being a huge job in itself), and a lover of books and music. I can't wait to begin the discussion!
Happiness is a warm blanket!
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

It doesn't seem fair having to share a snow day with the kids, huh?

At least there's no real accumulation (at least by me). Just looking out the window and watching the snow go by - horizontally - makes me glad I'm indoors with a cup of tea! :smileyhappy:

Kimmi373 wrote:

I live right on the Williamsville/Cheektowaga border. I would be enjoying this wonderful weather... if the kids had school! lol. I have seven kids aged 4-11 roaming the house today... mine, my sisters and the neighbors! When I was a kid I loved snow days, as an adult... not so much!!!

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Contributor
Portiabr
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone!

Just want to introduce myself. My name is Portia and this is my first time in an on-line book club. I have read almost any thing I can get my hands on for as long as I can remember. I am looking forward to readint something new!

Portia
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Hi there!

Hi Kathy!

It'll be fun discussing this with both the familiar & the new faces. This is my first go round with a "First Look" book, and I'm looking forward to it.

We're in the middle of a real wind-snowstorm here in Western NY. Sitting on my chair with a cup of hot tea I've been watching the wind blow the snow horizontally past my window all day. Fortunately, the ground & the snow are so dry & the wind is so strong, that nothing's settling down to accumulate - at least not yet. I envy you them warm sunny southern California! Think of me here in the tundra!

KathyS wrote:
I'm in! - Hi Liz! Looks like some familiar faces are arriving - and also..a lot of new and excited readers to join this reading group.
I'm looking forward to discussing another wonderfully selected [have no doubt] novel. Clearing the flight plan!
See you on the tarmac!

Kathy S.

Liz ♥ ♥

gl
Distinguished Correspondent
gl
0 Kudos

Hi, everyone!

I'm really excited to be here again. I loved the House at Riverton, though the volume of posts was a bit overwhelming.

I'm originally from the Philippines but am working as a lawyer in NYC. Like everyone else in this group, I love to read. I like historical fiction, fantasy, science fiction, romance, and am just starting to read nonfiction as well. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

The funniest books I've ever read have been I, Claudius by Robert Graves, Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, and Slaughterhouse V by Kurt Vonnegut. Does anyone have any suggestions for a light funny book?

Looking forward our book club experience!

Gaby
Users Online
Currently online:60 members 518 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: