Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
RaevenDarcluv
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes & Introductions

So did I!
Contributor
Dulcibelle
0 Kudos

I'm looking forward to this discussion. I read House at Riverton (the previous First Look), but got overwhelmed by the volume of posts, and don't feel I got as much out of it as I should have. I'm going to stick with the reading schedule and hope to participate much more this time around.

Riva
Contributor
mshukers
0 Kudos

Hi My name is Mary. This is my first time here. I love to read but this is my first time for this author. I especially like mysteries but read many others. I live in Cedar Rapids and use our library constantly.
Contributor
schwej
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Elizabeth and this is my second time with the book club. I didn't post much in the past because I was always ahead of everyone and didn't want to accidentally post spoilers. I'll try to do better this time.
Elizabeth
Inspired Contributor
ilenekm
0 Kudos

Hi

My name is Ilene and I live in Maryland. I am looking forward to reading and discussing The Sister. This is my second First Look book but I was unable to keep up with the Monsters of Templeton. I hope to do better this time
Frequent Contributor
penny70
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

FOZZIE! Hey there! Good to see you. Laura, even time I see your name "Fozzie", I smile and want to do the Fozzie Bear laugh and shake sideways and tell a corny joke lol. I loved Fozzie Bear on the Muppets. Thats probably why I called you Fozzie more often, when last we were in a club together, than Laura. :smileywink:

LOL!!! :smileyhappy:

I, too, love the Muppets. I actually used Fozzie as my CB handle, way back when in the 1970's! Thought it would work here too. Of all the names (Kermit, Miss Piggy, Beaker, Dr. Honeydew, Gonzo, etc.), Fozzie seemed the most normal. However, I would liken myself more to Miss Piggy!
:smileywink:

The Muppets were great, clean, family entertainment and I loved them. My pick though of characters .... ANIMAL!!!!!! Him getting all wound up on the drums and taking over songs just tickled me. I still find myself singing parts of the song "Movin' Right Along" from time to time (from The Muppet Movie).

Hugs,
Penny
New User
Chazneeb
0 Kudos

Hello my name is Chaznee. I am new to the book club and look forward to reading the next book for March and speaking with everyone. Take Care!
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Welcome to a fellow Iowan!

mshukers wrote:
Hi My name is Mary. This is my first time here. I love to read but this is my first time for this author. I especially like mysteries but read many others. I live in Cedar Rapids and use our library constantly.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Regarding "Water for Elephants",

I agree, great book, however I somehow couldn't get past the fact that a woman was writing from a man's perspective. Her prose just felt like it was a man's perspective as a woman perceived it (if that makes ANY sense...it's difficult for me to put these particular thoughts into words at the moment.) I just could never get lost in the book and forget that the story was coming from a female perspective.

I'm talking in circles (and that comes from my female perspective. I'm my own best critic. ha ha)

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

adoring_fan wrote:
I am only as strong as the cocktails I drink, the hairspray I use, and the girlfriends I have....
Krystn

Krystn,

I love your quote (above). I've GOT to save that one!!!

Suzi

Suzi

Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Re: Hi there!

LizzieAnn,

WOW, what awful weather! You'll hate to hear that we're having beautiful sunshine and it's rather warmish today (after days of rain and cold). I'm solar powered and my batteries die when exposed to anything below 68 degrees, so believe me, I'm thinking of you from here in sunny So. Cal!! Hope the weather improves for you.

Stay warm,

Suzi

Suzi

Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

I'll just have to imagine myself in the sunshine! :smileyvery-happy:

If I were solar-powered, I'd be without power for months on end. Back before the holidays we found solar-powered Christmas lights for sale at a local store. I picked them up, planning to use them around my front door when my husband looked at me and reminded me of where we live!~! Forget about warm days, we don't get a lot of sun during the winter in general!
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Contributor
Ladyhawk
0 Kudos

My name is Laura and I live in Colorful Colorado. I really enjoy reading alot of different genres. I do not really enjoy dissecting a novel, so I won't do that, but I do enjoy talking about the books and what I think may happen next. I love "spending time" with all different types of characters.
I look forward to getting to know each of you.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

blkeyesuzi wrote:
Regarding "Water for Elephants",

I agree, great book, however I somehow couldn't get past the fact that a woman was writing from a man's perspective. Her prose just felt like it was a man's perspective as a woman perceived it (if that makes ANY sense...it's difficult for me to put these particular thoughts into words at the moment.) I just could never get lost in the book and forget that the story was coming from a female perspective.

I'm talking in circles (and that comes from my female perspective. I'm my own best critic. ha ha)

Suzi

Funny you say that because I kept forgetting the author was a woman, and so many men have really liked the book, so it must say something for her "male" voice if they liked it too. And your not talking in circles lol.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Thanks for the insight, Vivian.

I'll have to go back and read the book anew. I could have been influenced by my mood or a previous book I had read, who knows. I really did enjoy the book though. That was the only quirk I could find with the whole book. Not bad all in all, I suppose. I certainly couldn't wait to pick it up every chance I got, that's for sure!

Suzi

Suzi

New User
Isaacsmom08
0 Kudos

Hi - I am a stay at home to a 19 month old son. I love to read when I get a chance. This will be my first online book club and am looking forward to it!
New User
patkens
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I am also a first timer with the book club, and really looking forward to it. I am an avid reader with a wide range of interests living in Riverton. I have not yet read " the House at Riverton" but with all the comments listed here, it seems like a must read.

Looking forward to the arrival of the ARC and the beginning of this new experience.
Correspondent
HannibalCat
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, I'm in and I'm excited. This book looks very interesting and since I am a sister, and have three sisters, I'm wondering which of us will be reflecting in this book. I already could some of myself and one of my sisters. Looking forward to reading this with great enthusiasm.

Cathy
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Liz, poor dear! As the locals have commented, it's beautiful today. You know I think about you and that darn weather of yours. I can identify with wind, we do have those Santa Anna's, but not when it's below zero! Brrr!

I forgot, you've never been on a First Look. This is my third. There is pros and cons on advice for these. I gave some advice the last time, based on my style of reading for discussions, but it didn't work for me! Just be prepared for when the gates open! is all I can say.

Good luck, and stay warm and cozy with your cup of 'whatever'!
Kathy

LizzieAnn wrote:
Hi Kathy!

It'll be fun discussing this with both the familiar & the new faces. This is my first go round with a "First Look" book, and I'm looking forward to it.

We're in the middle of a real wind-snowstorm here in Western NY. Sitting on my chair with a cup of hot tea I've been watching the wind blow the snow horizontally past my window all day. Fortunately, the ground & the snow are so dry & the wind is so strong, that nothing's settling down to accumulate - at least not yet. I envy you them warm sunny southern California! Think of me here in the tundra!

KathyS wrote:
I'm in! - Hi Liz! Looks like some familiar faces are arriving - and also..a lot of new and excited readers to join this reading group.
I'm looking forward to discussing another wonderfully selected [have no doubt] novel. Clearing the flight plan!
See you on the tarmac!

Kathy S.

Contributor
CherylAnderson
0 Kudos

WOW!! I am so excited to be part of another First Look Book Club....I can't wait for the book.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 504 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: