Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Hey Kathy

Okay Kathy, what makes a First Look club different from others? From what I've read, it does promise to be a very active discussion - so that should be truly interesting.

KathyS wrote:
Liz, poor dear! As the locals have commented, it's beautiful today. You know I think about you and that darn weather of yours. I can identify with wind, we do have those Santa Anna's, but not when it's below zero! Brrr!

I forgot, you've never been on a First Look. This is my third. There is pros and cons on advice for these. I gave some advice the last time, based on my style of reading for discussions, but it didn't work for me! Just be prepared for when the gates open! is all I can say.

Good luck, and stay warm and cozy with your cup of 'whatever'!
Kathy
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes & Introductions

COCOSPALS wrote:
And here I thought I was the only grown woman on earth who loved the Muppets. We were at a luncheon during the holiday season and the question was asked "What is your favorite Christmas carol?". My answer was easy...Muppets 12 days of Christmas ! I love when Ms. Piggy sings "5 gooooolden rings, da dum, dum, dum."

Yeah, Miss Piggy was a hoot. Also I know what Beth is talking about too, they talked about it on the Today show one morning. I am sure calling Ms Piggy, Miss Piggy, would be Politically Incorrect too, tho for the life of me what some of us women call each other and then tell others they cant is beyond me! As for Miss Piggy and her part of The Twelve Days of Christmas, I guess that would be the Twelve Days of Holidays too! LOL. You know, I think its politically INcorrect to have to say happy holidays when Christmas is the name of this day that is the correct name given by those who celebrate it. You dont have to believe it, you dont have to celebrate it, but if you refer to it, it is MORE politically Correct, to call it Chriatmas for that reason. I have a couple of friends who would slap me up side the head if I tried to chance Hanukkah to holidays, or Kwanzaa to Holidays, so why is Christmas now suppose to be holidays? Thats very very politically incorrect if you think about it. So sing on Ms Piggy and Cookie Monster and the Grouch and a Frog who sings about being green, sing on! Five Goldennnnn Ringgggssss ba da bump bump :smileywink: viva la revolution! hehe. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Hey Kathy

Liz, you would have to ask! :smileyvery-happy:
An "active discussion", YES!
If any one can do it- you can!
I'll be the one coughing in your wake of dust!

Have fun!
K.

LizzieAnn wrote:
Okay Kathy, what makes a First Look club different from others? From what I've read, it does promise to be a very active discussion - so that should be truly interesting.

KathyS wrote:
Liz, poor dear! As the locals have commented, it's beautiful today. You know I think about you and that darn weather of yours. I can identify with wind, we do have those Santa Anna's, but not when it's below zero! Brrr!

I forgot, you've never been on a First Look. This is my third. There is pros and cons on advice for these. I gave some advice the last time, based on my style of reading for discussions, but it didn't work for me! Just be prepared for when the gates open! is all I can say.

Good luck, and stay warm and cozy with your cup of 'whatever'!
Kathy

Frequent Contributor
umlaut
0 Kudos

I am excited to be joining this club and look forward towards taking part in the discussions. As for myself, I tend to gravitate towards reading character-building novels by authors such as Charles Frazier, Annie Dillard, Richard Russo, and George Shaffner. I am always looking for books from *new* authors, that’s what has lead me to join this club by reading the intro to this months book by Poppy Adams.

-- u
New User
jcouch
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,
This is my first book club online or otherwise. Not sure what made me join, probably so I'll be forced to take time to read books (which I love but don't always allow the time for it.) I'm a stay-at-home mom of 3 (2 toddlers and a teenager) so I'm kept pretty busy and unless someone recommends a book (and hands it to me) I read parenting books and the occasional book that catches my eye.

Looking forward to reading the book, the comments and hopefully adding to the discussion.

Jennifer
MLS
Frequent Contributor
MLS
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:
Good to be with you again, Karen -- assuming I get in this one, too.

Somebody else asked you how the First Look books are chosen. I wondered the same thing.

I am interested to note that of the three books, all three have been by women, and all three have, at least as it appears from the description of The Sister, females as the protagonists and main characters.

I'm wondering whether this is coincidental or intentional, at least on some level. Are you focusing on giving new female writers the boost of the First Look program? Is more contemporary fiction (I read mostly classics, so don't keep up that much with contemporary fiction) written by or about women? Or is it that since most of the participants in in the First Look programs to date have been woman (as it seems are most of the participants on the Book Clubs generally) are you selecting books that you think will particularly appeal to female readers? Or is it purely coincidental?

As one of the few male readers in the two previous First Look groups, and it appears from the Introductions thread likely to be one of the few male readers of The Sisters, I find myself reading with a somewhat different approach and focus as many of the other readers. So I was curious about hy this distaff focus seemed so prevalent in the First Look selections.

I noticed the books being more focused on women and by women also. I encouraged my son to look into the ARC because he reads all the time...he is also a great thinker and way better with a computer than I am. Now I am wondering...but I guess he can look at the offered selections and decide if he is interested! You are a brave man to subject yourself to all these female viewpoints!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Hello everyone;
So glad to be in another first look club. I think this is awesome, that b&n does this wonderful thing and giving away books. wow! What a wonderful incentive to read. I really adored the HAR and this sounds twice as wonderful! Hi to one of my best buddies, vivian and I haven't seen wrighty or cindersue or momgee as of yet. will see all you good people around in the next month or two. Linda
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Hi, back

[ Edited ]
Hi, Linda....how's the 'little 'ol' wine maker doing? :smileyhappy: Nice to see your smiling face, as always.
see you soon!
Kathy

Message Edited by KathyS on 01-31-2008 03:34 PM
Reader
nurbernie
0 Kudos

HI. I have joined the book club for the first time. I do hope I get into the frost look book club. I have a set of triplets and when they are in bed I read. It helps me unwind and put the day in prespective. How to be chatting with you all soon
bernie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

LizzieAnn wrote:
Okay Kathy, what makes a First Look club different from others?

Two main things.

One: it's an unpublished book so everybody here will be reading it for the first time. Nobody will have studied it in an English course or read it for a F2F book club, there will be no readers guides or Cliff Notes or reviews or cocktail party chatter or anything else to tell us what the book is about or what it's supposed to mean: we are all encountering it with nothing more than the book itself and what's posted here. In almost all other book clubs, some of the posters have already gotten and read the book before the discussion starts, and if it's a classic they may have studied in detail in a course or on their own. That's not the case here: we're all book virgins. (That makes it particularly important to avoid spoilers, so that people can encounter each section fresh and without any hint of spoilers.)

Two: the group is closed, so nobody who hasn't gotten the book can post, and nobody can come in in the middle (of course you can effectively come in in the middle of the discussion by not reading the book or starting to post until well after the start of the discuss, but my experience of the prior two books is that most of us are pawing the ground and as ready to take off as thoroughbreds in the starting gate at the Kentucky Derby!)

Those two things, for me, make the First Look program dramatically different from any other book discussion group on BN.
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:
Hello everyone;
So glad to be in another first look club. I think this is awesome, that b&n does this wonderful thing and giving away books. wow! What a wonderful incentive to read. I really adored the HAR and this sounds twice as wonderful! Hi to one of my best buddies, vivian and I haven't seen wrighty or cindersue or momgee as of yet. will see all you good people around in the next month or two. Linda

Hey buddy Linda, we are here, you will see us, all three of us are in and maybe some of the newbies :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
0 Kudos

Hi Karen and everyone else...this is my second time with the First Look Book Club...we are still discussing The House at Riverton now...I hope that I am chosen to get an ARC for this book as well...this book sounds very interesting...it is good to see some new/old faces in the group...I look forward to discussing this book with you all...This book club is an unbelievable experience...it amazes me how powerful the World Wide Web can be...connecting lives from all over the world to discuss a book...I look forward to seeing you all again...
Peace and love,
Paula R.

"Adversity causes some people to break, but causes others to break records."

Author Unknown
New User
JenCarroll
0 Kudos

Hello,
My name is Jennifer. I love to read and I am looking forward to this book and the discussions.
Jen
New User
dechrisda
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Christin and this is my first on-line book club. I live in Oregon and I am currently in a Masters program to become a middle/high school teacher. I love to read, and generally read voraciously. However, the masters program keeps me pretty busy. I am married and have 4 kids left at home. One got married in 2006 and she is now expecting her first baby. So sometime at the end of February or beginning of March I will be a grandma. Hopefully I will be able to stay up with the discussions. I am definitely looking forward to reading this book.

Christin
New User
readalot
0 Kudos

Hi! This is my first time to be in a book club and let alone an online one. I hope I am doing this right. I am an avid reader and am finally being able to pick up and read some new books since I am now a stay at home mom. It is great to be able to catch up on some good books. I am really excited to read a new book that isn't out yet before it hits the internet opinion pages and before anyone can try to pursuade me one way or another about the book. i look forward to the discussions about the book.
Contributor
Suetj
0 Kudos

LizzieAnn wrote:
Hi Suzi,

It's nice to meet another, what I call, mutt-reader. Someone who reads a little bit of everything. My bookshelves sound similar to yours: Austen, mysteries (both heavy-duty and light & cozy), Shakespeare, women's fiction, biographies, historical fiction, chick lit, thrillers, horror, fantasy, sci-fi, paranormal, classics, history, etc & so on!

blkeyesuzi wrote:
Hi everyone!

I'm so excited to join this group!!! I'm looking forward to active discussion on a book that is fresh and new. What's most refreshing to me is the fact a brand new book will be discussed without being too influenced by newspapers, advertising, and other professional reviewers. It's all fresh. We're all reading completely fresh perspectives. I love that!! I just can't wait to get started. It's one of my favorite things, to find people who love books and love discussing them.

My taste in literature runs wide and deep. I read voraciously and my bookshelves are overflowing with a variety of beautiful, well-loved novels. I read historical-fiction, classic literature, mysteries, chick-lit, you name it -- as long as it is well-written and keeps my interest. I just love all kinds of books. I've always claimed I can tell a lot about people by looking at their bookshelves, so I looked at mine the other day...I Think I'm schizophrenic!!! That's how many different types of books I have! LOL

I blame my dad. My father was a literature professor, so my bedtime stories were Shakespeare and O. Henry. He taught me to love books. It never goes away, so now I drive my family crazy with a book in my hand constantly! Ha.

By the way, can anyone else relate to the feeling of opening a brand new book for the first time? It's great, isn't it?

Suzi

Message Edited by blkeyesuzi on 01-28-2008 04:43 PM

Hi Suzi,
I too am an avid reader and lover of books. I have a library filled with the same assortment as you-from Shakespeare,to Fitzgerald, to childrens books classics, right to Chik-lit. I think I devour a book a week and as you said there is a special feeling when you open up a book. Thanks for your enthusiasm-you remind me of myslef. I just read Atonement What a read!!!! Beautiful language... Glass Castle is my favorite memoir so far. Today is a beautiful snowy day-a perfect day to get lost in a book.
Contributor
ladytoad
0 Kudos

Hi. I just signed up and am looking forward to participating if I get the opportunity.
MLS
Frequent Contributor
MLS
0 Kudos

Hi Jean from the thumb of Michigan! Are you loving the thumb today with all the snow? I'm from Kingston...it doesn't affect me much as I'm home anyway...it is pretty to look out. Happy reading!
New User
VickieS
0 Kudos

This is my first online book club and hope I get to participate. I live in Missouri outside of St. Louis. I love to read thriller/suspense, historical fiction, women's fiction, biographies and many other types. This looks like it will be a great place to discuss an interesting book!
Contributor
darma51
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Darma and this is my second online bookclub. I loved House at Riverton, so many characters, such secrets. It drew me in and kept me there until the very end - I like that in a novel. I mostly read historical novels and fiction but then I love a "hot" summer romaance beach novel too! I may not post as often as I'd like but I do read the posts and so very often agree with what is being said. No need to repeat it. I'm excited about The Sister because it is new and unread - can't wait.
Users Online
Currently online: 96 members 786 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: