Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Jacey873
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes & Introductions

Hi -- just signed up. Haven't been part of an online group in about 5 years -- too busy! Thought this sounded like a of of fun though, so here I am. I am a 34 yo stepmom to 2, married 10 years, and a voracious reader. A couple of years ago we added floor to ceiling built-in bookshelves to our family room to house all the books. I'm not a library person, I have to own books, it's my biggest vice. Mysteries are my favorite, but I'm always willing to try new books and authors. I look forward to chatting with you all!
--Jacey
New User
kitsune_moon78
0 Kudos

Hi! I'm new at this, so bear with me, folks. Looking forward to reading the Sister - sounds intriguing.
Kim
Reader
jstonge67
0 Kudos

Hello! My name is Julie. I'm from New Hampshire, and this is my first on-line book club. How exactly does this work? Is there a specific schedule for chapters? Specific topics each week?
I am really looking forward to this!

Julie
Contributor
Breezybelle
0 Kudos

Hi Betty and Joanne in NC. My name is Robyn and I am a new participant in the first look book club. I live in Raleigh, NC. Near Crabtree Valley Mall. Glad to know there are folks close by on here :smileyhappy:
Contributor
Lady_Graeye
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Lady_Graeye wrote:

EbonyAngel wrote:
Just read my message saying I'm in. You would've thought I won the lottery. I'm so excited I can hardly wait.
Oh yeah, I'm Ebony Angel, (Carolyn) from Missouri. I read everything and when I run out of stuff to read, I'll read the yellow pages.
So far from the excerpt it seems like it's going to be another good one.

EbonyAngel, I'm Lady_Graeye and I live in Missouri too, We'll have to find out where each other lives, who knows we might be close... Nice to meet you!

Well you Missourians, I am right down here in Oklahoma and got a friend up above you in Illinois. Grab a steamboat, well not that they come through Oklahoma, cause they dont lol.

Girl, forget the steamboat!! I think I probably could get on my snowboard, enter-tube or even a piece of cardboard and make it down your way today!!! LOL! We have had everything happen here today weather-wize except a tornado (shut my mouth!) It has snowed, sleeted, rained, hailed, lighteninged and thundered all in one day here today! WEIRD! They say here in Missouri, " If you don't like the weather here, just wait a second...it's bound to change !! LOL ! I was down in Oklahoma about 4 months ago. It was nice down there, had some fun but then I had to come back home!! Anytime you want to come up my way, your more than welcome to... Better pack your bag for every kind of weather possible !!! LOL Lady_Graeye
"You Can Never Own Too Many Books; It's Just Not Possible!!!"
Contributor
Lady_Graeye
0 Kudos

I'm on the other side of the state, but you know what, I've been known to drive 6 hours just for the fun of it! LOL!! So yeah we are neighbors as the crow flies!!! Nice to me you too! Lady_Graeye
"You Can Never Own Too Many Books; It's Just Not Possible!!!"
hlw
Reader 2
hlw
0 Kudos

I love a good read and I'm looking forward to joining in on the fun.
Frequent Contributor
erina
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, my name is Erin and I am from Chicago. I am so excited about finding this site and getting selected. Yay! I am currently reading Mary, Mrs. A. Lincoln which is fantastic, I highly recommend this book. I love historical fiction, fiction, classics, non fiction, just about anything I can get my hands on! I look forward to getting to know everyone.
Frequent Contributor
Mary1234
0 Kudos

I am Mary! I was wondering the same thing. How are the readers selected?
Inspired Contributor
gosox
0 Kudos

jstonge67 wrote:
Hello! My name is Julie. I'm from New Hampshire, and this is my first on-line book club. How exactly does this work? Is there a specific schedule for chapters? Specific topics each week?

Julie

Hi Julie,
I too live in NH - Seacoast area.
I was wondering if we could restart the conversation about what people are reading as they wait for the new ARC.
I am currently reading Broken for You by Stephanie Kallos for my book group. I have recently finished The Street of a Thousand Blossoms by Gail Tsukiyama. A wonderful story by a fabulous author. Have The Commoner by John Burnham Schwartz to look forward to next.
Looking forward to hearing what everyone else is reading!
Frequent Contributor
psujulie
0 Kudos

Frank_n_beans wrote:
Hello there:

I am new here and am thrilled to be a part of this book club. I am 28 years old and live in New England with my husband and our frisky black lab doggie. I absolutely love to read, bake and spend time outside with my dog. I am always interested in discussing books with others and one of my favorite questions to ask people is "what are you reading?" My favorite genre is historical fiction and I am currently reading Geraldine Brooks' "A Year of Wonders."

I look forward to reading and discussing "The Sister" with all of you!

-Frank_n_beans

Message Edited by Frank_n_beans on 02-02-2008 07:12 PM

I absolutely loved A YEAR OF WONDERS! Enjoy it. Her new book PEOPLE OF THE BOOK is really good too!
http://bookingmama.blogspot.com/
Inspired Contributor
gosox
0 Kudos

psujulie wrote:

Frank_n_beans wrote:
Hello there:

I am new here and am thrilled to be a part of this book club. I am 28 years old and live in New England with my husband and our frisky black lab doggie. I absolutely love to read, bake and spend time outside with my dog. I am always interested in discussing books with others and one of my favorite questions to ask people is "what are you reading?" My favorite genre is historical fiction and I am currently reading Geraldine Brooks' "A Year of Wonders."

-Frank_n_beans

I absolutely loved A YEAR OF WONDERS! Enjoy it. Her new book PEOPLE OF THE BOOK is really good too!

You would also enjoy her Pulitizer Prize book March!
Frequent Contributor
psujulie
0 Kudos

gosox wrote:

psujulie wrote:

Frank_n_beans wrote:
Hello there:

-Frank_n_beans

You would also enjoy her Pulitizer Prize book March!

MARCH was a fabulous book too. I think she's an incredible author!!!
http://bookingmama.blogspot.com/
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Lady_Graeye wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Lady_Graeye wrote:

EbonyAngel wrote:
Just read my message saying I'm in. You would've thought I won the lottery. I'm so excited I can hardly wait.
Oh yeah, I'm Ebony Angel, (Carolyn) from Missouri. I read everything and when I run out of stuff to read, I'll read the yellow pages.
So far from the excerpt it seems like it's going to be another good one.

EbonyAngel, I'm Lady_Graeye and I live in Missouri too, We'll have to find out where each other lives, who knows we might be close... Nice to meet you!

Well you Missourians, I am right down here in Oklahoma and got a friend up above you in Illinois. Grab a steamboat, well not that they come through Oklahoma, cause they dont lol.

Girl, forget the steamboat!! I think I probably could get on my snowboard, enter-tube or even a piece of cardboard and make it down your way today!!! LOL! We have had everything happen here today weather-wize except a tornado (shut my mouth!) It has snowed, sleeted, rained, hailed, lighteninged and thundered all in one day here today! WEIRD! They say here in Missouri, " If you don't like the weather here, just wait a second...it's bound to change !! LOL ! I was down in Oklahoma about 4 months ago. It was nice down there, had some fun but then I had to come back home!! Anytime you want to come up my way, your more than welcome to... Better pack your bag for every kind of weather possible !!! LOL Lady_Graeye

Heyy now! Thats an OKLAHOMA saying because Will Rogers said it! :smileywink: If you dont like the weather, just wait a minute, it will change. We have had the same thing here all day too. When I came out from getting groceries today, it was in the 30s raining and windy and just went right through ya trying to load up the car! It was 78 yesterday! and will be 28 in the morning! brrrrrrrr. Hey, you dont have to say what town you are in, and probably shouldnt in the open here lol, but what part of Mo. are you in? I am south of OKC.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
Frank_n_beans
0 Kudos

"March" was sooo good, wasn't it!? I've been meaning to re-read "Little Women" since I read it...
Contributor
Thryth
0 Kudos

Just found out about the First Look Book Club and decided to join. My online name is Thryth, and I'm from the greater Seattle area in Washington state. I'm an avid reader, and I especially love Sci-Fi/Fantasy, just about anything relating to vampires, early period (dark age) historical fiction, and mysteries. It's all good. I look forward to being a member of this club and reading what you all have to say.

Thryth
Frequent Contributor
Mary1234
0 Kudos

I am a retired educator. I received my Gradute Degree in Education with a concentration in Reading. What a great new experience to be able to participate in a FIRST LOOK at a new book! I am really looing forward to this as I have never had the opportunity to do so before.

Looking forward to hearing from you......

Mary
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Tonya wrote:
You know I saw on Oprah about those neat highlighters.

What neat highlighters?
0 Kudos

Re: First Timers in First Look

Another tip: If you read ahead of the schedule, be really, really careful about spoilers. Since nobody has read the book before, it's all terra incognito, and we all want to explore it fresh. Even such an apparently innocuous post as posting a link about something or someplace mentioned later in the book can bring down the wrath of readers who are actually reading per the schedule and do NOT want to know anything about future events or incidents in the book.

Your fellow readers will thank you.
0 Kudos

jstonge67 wrote:

Julie

Hi Julie-

This discussion doesn't 'officially' begin until March. Our FANTASTIC moderator, Karen, will post threads where we will discuss various sections of the book. Here is the schedule that she posted under "News, Schedules, and Updates"

Threads for Chapters 1 through 5 will be posted March 3rd.

Threads for Chapters 6 through 9 go up on March 5th.

Chapters 10 through 13 will follow on March 7th.

Threads for Chapters 14 through 17 will be posted on March 9th.

*The editor of The Sister will be joining us from March 10th to the 14th.

Threads for Chapters 18 through 20 will be posted on 3/11.

Chapters 21 and 22 will follow on March 13th.

Threads for Chapters 23 and 24 will be posted on March 15th.

**Poppy Adams joins us to discuss The Sister beginning on March 17!
Users Online
Currently online: 54 members 1,166 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: