Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes & Introductions

does everyone else have this movie ad to the right here, of "the other Boleyn girl"? I know there was a book by that name, havent read it yet, and wondering if some of you in here did. It was fiction wasnt it? I do know that Henry did have Ann Boleyn's sister before he had and wed her. I really like stories about Ann and her daughter as queen,Elizabeth. I think Ann was the smarter of the two sisters in real life. It starts Feb 29 and has Natalie Portman, Scarlette Johansson and Eric Bana. I LOVE Eric Bana, the older brother in Troy. But I just cant see him as Henry VIII. He looks more like an Italian or Spanish King! From all descriptions and paintings of Henry, he was a much lighter skinned man, maybe even a red head. He was a Brit for heavens sake and here is Eric with those dark good looks, mmm, nice to look at but not right for Henry. So if you read the book, was it any good?
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
corym
0 Kudos

Hello everyone! My name is Charlotte and I live in Texas. I am really glad to be in the next book club and look forward to begin reading "The Sister."

I look forward to reading the groups thoughts on the book and sharing my opinions.

Have a great week!
Contributor
mrstreme
0 Kudos

I read The Other Boleyn Girl and enjoyed it very much. I thought Philippa Gregory did a great job explaining how women's worth was valued and then manipulated during this time frame. In other words, the woman was only as good as her womb, or so it seemed in this novel. I am looking forward to the movie too. Eric Bana is a bit "tall, dark and handsome" for Henry, but he is so nice on the eyes, I can overlook it! =)

Happy Reading!
Jill
http://mrstreme.livejournal.com

vivico1 wrote:
does everyone else have this movie ad to the right here, of "the other Boleyn girl"? I know there was a book by that name, havent read it yet, and wondering if some of you in here did. It was fiction wasnt it? I do know that Henry did have Ann Boleyn's sister before he had and wed her. I really like stories about Ann and her daughter as queen,Elizabeth. I think Ann was the smarter of the two sisters in real life. It starts Feb 29 and has Natalie Portman, Scarlette Johansson and Eric Bana. I LOVE Eric Bana, the older brother in Troy. But I just cant see him as Henry VIII. He looks more like an Italian or Spanish King! From all descriptions and paintings of Henry, he was a much lighter skinned man, maybe even a red head. He was a Brit for heavens sake and here is Eric with those dark good looks, mmm, nice to look at but not right for Henry. So if you read the book, was it any good?

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

kbbg42 wrote:
To- Frank_n_beans; Your perfect day sounds just like my perfect day. I love browsing in a bookstore. There's just somthing about the smell of a bookstore that makes me feel so good. I could spend hours just looking around at the different books and checking out all the different sections. It's such a rush!

You are so on the right track! It's like I can't leave, its check this table over here, and did I check this side and what about the other corner. I never go that I am not in a bookstore for at least a hour and t hat is when I have to make myself leave. Its like a magnet that is drawing me back into the door once I do leave.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

What right? What left? Yes, it was a book. I read it and its very good. I do not know if I want to see the movie or not. That Henry the eight, was a man that didn't know how to handle power, that is for sure. Phillippa Gregory wrote the book along with alot of others about all king henry's wives. Cant think of the titles of them. Later!
Frequent Contributor
kbbg42
0 Kudos

kiakar, we are definatly simpatico! LOL
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Nope, bought the book on bargain, but haven't read it yet.
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

My name is Leola. I live in Tennessee. I am enjoying the First Look club. I am trying very hard to feel more comfortable with the boards. I also want to keep up with the messages.
Grapes
Inspired Contributor
gringorn
0 Kudos

Hi Leola,

Sounds like the message boards can be confusing to you also! Glad I am not the only one. Once I get into a thread I try to read as much as I can because I often can't find my way back. I am sure it is simple, but I am a reader...........not really a computer person!! Looking forward to this next First Look read.

Mary
Inspired Contributor
gringorn
0 Kudos

I read the book and thought it was pretty good. If not reading non-fiction, I love historical novels especially, so it was right up my alley. It is still available in the bargain books too.

Mary
dhaupt
0 Kudos

llamareader wrote:
Hi I'm Anne. This is my first time doing something like this. I love to read, maybe too much? My favorite author right now is Jodi Picoult. I read what catches my eye, whether it is a recommendation, something I see at Target, whatever. I love it when I get a recommendation based on other books I have read. Although I'm only 36 I grew up without a TV in my house,no siblings, and we lived way out in the country. Reading was a way of life, I cannot remember a time when I could not read.
Any advice for a first timer, would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Anne

PS I am a terrible typer, so please excuse my mistakes.

Anne, there's no such thing as reading too much and I wish I had grown up without TV maybe it wouldn't have taken me so long to get back to reading.
As far as advice goes just have fun and contribute often, we all want to hear what you have to say.
Debbie
Frequent Contributor
ploabhawes
0 Kudos

Hola Vivian~

Yes!!! It was a great book. Definitely worth your time. I love all of Phillipa Gregory's books. I also agree on the King Henry mis-cast. In the book, I believe he is indeed red haired and fair. In reality, I don't think he was the handsomest of men either. Seems like Hollywood wanted to pull in as much $$$ as possible with a hot King Henry!! I am looking forward to the movie......

Lisa
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

ploabhawes wrote:
Hola Vivian~

Yes!!! It was a great book. Definitely worth your time. I love all of Phillipa Gregory's books. I also agree on the King Henry mis-cast. In the book, I believe he is indeed red haired and fair. In reality, I don't think he was the handsomest of men either. Seems like Hollywood wanted to pull in as much $$$ as possible with a hot King Henry!! I am looking forward to the movie......

Lisa

Well they still could have done it with a good looking fairer skinned actor lol. I will be thinking of the Spanish King the whole time! They were at war with them alot. One of my all time favorite movies is one called Ann of 1000 Days. Its about Henry and Ann Bolyn with Richard Burton as Henry, of course, no one did him better, and Genevieve Bojould as Ann, her first movie and she was great! I had it on VHS but I cant find it anywhere on DVD, I would love to have a copy of it on DVD, the old vhs is wearing out and cant be copied. One of the best historical love/hate movies!
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Reader 2
LauraR7612
0 Kudos

Hi everyone. My name is Laura and I am from Knoxville, TN. I am glad to be joining you. This is my first book club and I look forward to it.
Contributor
trishbrowning
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

vivico1 - This was the first book I read by Philippa Gregory and it is her best, in my opinion (I've read all of her books except for 2). The really cool thing about her writing is that she sticks as much as she can to facts. If she says the Court went to this place for the winter in whatever year, then they in fact did that. She does an intense amount of research into her books (although, obviously, dialogue and motives must be made up and the story must be intriguing enough to sell). I highly highly highly recommend this book. If you have any questions about this author, feel free to email me.

One other thing I should add...this book is really about Mary Boleyn; Anne Boleyn is just a minor character in this book. There's another book that she dedicates to Anne Boleyn.
Contributor
barrycaseyii
0 Kudos

My name is Barry. This is my second book on the "First Look" book club. I am sure this one will be just as great as the last! Can't wait to discuss it with you all.

B
dg
Frequent Contributor
dg
0 Kudos

I read the Other Boleyn Girl and I enjoyed it.
Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

LauraR7612 wrote:
Hi everyone. My name is Laura and I am from Knoxville, TN. I am glad to be joining you. This is my first book club and I look forward to it.

Hey Laura, I am also from TN....go Vols!! Dawn
~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Reader 2
NelleyMac
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone!

I am one more "mutt-reader" (as LizzieAnn so eloquently described in her post) joining this group for the first time. I am excited to have received my confirmation and the opportunity to participate in the "First Look" group as a newby. I make a habit of picking up books by random authors (that I have never read) several times a year and am looking forward to reading and discussing The Sister. I live in what is commonly referred to as sunny California, although lately it has been more rainy and snowy. :-)

See you on the boards! Nelley
Never judge a book by its movie ~ J.W. Eagan

I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning how to sail my ship ~ Louisa May Alcott
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Hi

Hi Nelley & welcome. Glad you like that term! :smileyvery-happy: It does seem to cover it, doesn't it? I can sympathize with the less-pleasant weather as well. Here in Western NY our wind chills were in the minus twenties yesterday, and they still haven't gone above zero. Our snow is now frozen solid!
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Users Online
Currently online: 24 members 574 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: