Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
newtn
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes & Introductions

Hello everyone! UPS just knocked on my door and delivered my copy of _The Sister_. I honestly didn't know that I was in until I opened it! I thought I had set up my bn profile so that it would email me when/if I got a PM, so I never went back and looked. Turns out I *did* get the PM, but didn't get an email notify. Guess I better go twiddle my settings some more so I don't miss any more of the action! So, I guess I'm joining the party a little late (ha), but I'm SO happy to be here! -Michelle in TN
-Michelle in TN
Contributor
Laurabairn
0 Kudos

Hi all,
Just received my book today and I'm very pleased to have gotten in. My name is Laura and I hale from the wonderful Northwest  part of Ct. I have been participating in various book clubs at BN, but this is my first First Look. Boy there are a lot of us...does anyone know how many books were sent out?

I read a diverse bunch of things from SciFi to Chick lit and everything in between and look forward to a lively discussion! See you in the posts!

Laura
Frequent Contributor
kmensing
0 Kudos

"""I'm in Michigan too - I think the best part of the snow and ice is curling up with a blanket and a good book!!"""

We plow snow commercially, so I'm actually loving this very long, very snowy winter season we've had :smileyhappy:

kmensing

Frequent Contributor
Readingrat
0 Kudos

Hi. I'm Elaine. I live in MO and am glad to see the books are starting to show up. I was part of The House of Riverton discussion and am looking forward to discussing The Sister with all of you soon.
Frequent Contributor
reddoglady
0 Kudos

yahoo -- my book just arrived -- can't wait to dig in -- am looking forward to the discussions with everyone --  :0)
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

kmensing wrote:
We plow snow commercially, so I'm actually loving this very long, very snowy winter season we've had :smileyhappy:

Do you remember that neat ad for the Volkswagen Beetle many, many years ago? It showed a shop building surrounded by about a foot of pristine snow. Up chugs a Beetle and parks and a guy gets out, goes into the building, you see the garage door open and a truck with a snow plow head out. At which point the announcer says (first words uttered in the ad), I think the exact words were "Ever wonder how the guy who drives the snowplow gets to the snowplow?" When I lived back East and understood first hand about plowing snow I loved that commercial!
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hello all! I thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Cynthia; I'm 25, single (mother to two wonderful dogs Pandora a 3 year old Cocker Spaniel and Phoebe a 5 month old English Bulldog), and a librarian in a small town in Virginia.

I just got my copy of the book today...I'm very excited to read it although it will have to wait a day or two...I just started another advanced reading copy today (The Girl With No Shadow by Joanne Harris - sequel to her novel Chocolat). Two free books in two weeks - how lucky am I!!!!

I am an avid reader - have been ever since I was a child although my college and grad school years were spent focused on textbooks rather than those for pleasure. Neither of my degrees have anything to do with what I'm doing now (BA in Psychology and Master's in Social Work) but I wouldn't change anything. I feel most at peace surrounded by the written word and truly feel like I've found what I was always meant to do.

Historical fiction is my great love I'd say although contemporary fiction has it's charms as well. I've discovered so many wonderful authors since I started this job last year, some new and some simply new to me...DOUGLAS CARLTON ABRAMS, SARAH ADDISON ALLEN, ANITA AMIRREZVANI, VANORA BENNETT,GERALDINE BROOKS, TRACY CHEVALIER, DIANE MOTT DAVIDSON, PAMELA DUNCAN, KIM EDWARDS, HARRIET EVANS, HELEN FIELDING, KAREN JOY FOWLER, DIANA GABALDON, EMILY GIFFIN, PHILLIPA GREGORY, SHANNON HALE, JOANNE HARRIS, ROBERT HICKS, SYRIE JAMES, SOPHIE KINSELLA, DONALD MCCAIG, EMMA MCLAUGHLIN AND NICOLA KRAUS, SUE MILLER, MICHELLE MORAN, ELIZABETH NOBLE, MARIE PHILLIPS, EVA RICE, LUANNE RICE, ANITA SHREVE, NICHOLAS SPARKS, REBECCA STOTT, BEVERLY SWERLING, and LAUREN WEISBERGER. Some I've had the chance to read more of than other's (and still author's I have yet to get to) but I have a whole excel spreadsheet of books and authors I'd like to read....it's seems to grow every day.

I look forward to discussing the books with all of you!

"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library." Jorge Luis Borges

Message Edited by pandora020105 on 02-18-2008 04:49 PM
Frequent Contributor
erina
0 Kudos

I am so excited, just received my book.  If only I didn't have a work dinner tonight!  Hopefully it will not go too late so I can start the book. 
Wordsmith
maude40
0 Kudos

Just received my copy of "The Sister" and can't wait to start reading. Thank you so much, Barnes and Noble, for this chance to read Advanced Copy  Books. Yvonne
Reader
clayaiken
0 Kudos

I just received my copy of The Sister and have already started reading.  I can't wait for the discussions to begin.  This is my second time being apart of this BN Bookclub.

Thanks
TM
Frequent Contributor
SweetReaderMA
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes & Introductions from Dawn

Hi Dawn, I agree that our profession doesn't get the recognition, respect, or pay it deserves. We care for the children and educate them so that they can be successful and ready to learn in school and yet we are looked at as "babysitters". It's frustrating. Kristen
These are not books, lumps of lifeless paper, but minds alive on the shelves. From each of them goes out its own voice... and just as the touch of a button on our set will fill the room with music, so by taking down one of these volumes and opening it, one can call into range the voice of a man far distant in time and space, and hear him speaking to us, mind to mind, heart to heart. ~Gilbert Highet
Contributor
runnybabbit620
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Christy.  I am a born and raised upstate New Yorker who has been transplanted as of a few years ago to Charlotte, North Carolina.

I've been an avid reader since before I can even remember and, once I finish one book, I have to have another lined up to read right after.  My family tells me that, from the first time I held a book, I knew to hold it upright if only to "read" the pictures--there's even documentation in the form of old, silent, home video a la the 70's.

I read just about anything I can get my hands on (both fiction and non-fiction) and have gotten in trouble for reading at times that I shouldn't have in the past.  (Say, when I was in school and reading instead of doing my homework.)  Growing up, the best way for my mom to punish me was to condemn me to a corner to sit and think about what I had done WITHOUT A BOOK TO READ.  Oh, the horrors!

Hearing about the First Look Book Club sounded like the experience of a lifetime and I am elated to become a part of it.  I can't wait to start reading this selection as the back cover synopsis and the excerpt online sound most intriguing!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

krb2g wrote:
Kiakar,
I'm about an hour north of you, in Charlottesville.
Best, Katie

kiakar wrote:

Yes, I am from your side of Virginia also. I live in the Lynchburg area. Are you close?

Katie; Have you ever traveled down 29 to Lynchburg ?. It is a beautiful view all the way down with all the mountains on every side of the curvy winding roads. Do you go to the university in Charlottesville? I visit Charlottesville right much, have friends there and family that lives alittle beyond Charlottesville.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

I knew the mail wasn't running today but didn't know until I got a knock at the door that the Big UPS Truck did roll today. And my book is here!   How great it is!   To receive a free book!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

No book yet, but I'm traditionally one of the last to get them. So I'll twiddle my thumbs, during those moments when I'm not concentrating on my current reading pile (Anna Karenina, Northanger Abbey, Mysteries of Udolpho, Brann's Paradoxes of Education in a Republic, Shakespeare's Richard II and commentaries thereon (I'm working my way through the history plays at the moment), and Durant's The Greatest Minds and Ideas of All Time.) The first two and the last are for book discussions.
0 Kudos

I just got home after a long and stressful week away and my book was waiting at the door.  Made me smile!  My name is Tina and I live in Charlotte, NC.  This is my second First Look book club and I enjoyed the House at Riverton immensely.  This time though I'm going to slow down and participate in the discussions more at a pace that the discussions are posted.  I'm going to try not to read ahead and I am going to read all the other books I've started to force me to "behave" this time.  Not asking questions about parts of the book before the discussion are opened..learned my lesson.  I'm sure I will get more out of the book this way also.

tina.

"I drink to make other people more interesting."
Hemingway, Ernest

Tina.

-- Hemingway, Ernest
Contributor
tmhoyle2
0 Kudos

Welcome.

I can suggest not reading ahead and not posing questions or alluding to future sections of the book that are not posted. :smileyhappy:

Also, don't get stressed about reading all the postings that will be going on in the next month.  Enjoy, read what you can and participate in the discussions.

Have fun.

Tina.

-- Hemingway, Ernest
Contributor
Mostow
0 Kudos

Hello everyone

This is my first time joining an online book club.  I love my neighborhood book club also, but I thought this would be fun for a change.  I'm a stay-at-home mom of 2 and I LOVE to read!  I look forward to discussing this book with all of you!

Mona

Frequent Contributor
Eckwell
0 Kudos

Hello everyone. I am relatively new to the online book clubs. Somehow I stumbled upon this book club and couldn't pass up the chance to read a book before its major release. I received my book today. When exactly does the discussion for this book begin?
Inspired Contributor
gosox
0 Kudos

Eckwell wrote:
Hello everyone. I am relatively new to the online book clubs. Somehow I stumbled upon this book club and couldn't pass up the chance to read a book before its major release. I received my book today. When exactly does the discussion for this book begin?

Here is a copy of the schedule for the book discussion. I am so happy that those that have started the book have not started discussing their reactions. Let's hope that we can all stick to waiting until the 3rd.

Happy Reading!

Threads for Chapters 1 through 5 will be posted March 3rd.

Threads for Chapters 6 through 9 go up on March 5th.

Chapters 10 through 13 will follow on March 7th.

Threads for Chapters 14 through 17 will be posted on March 9th.

*The editor of The Sister will be joining us from March 10th to the 14th.

Threads for Chapters 18 through 20 will be posted on 3/11.

Chapters 21 and 22 will follow on March 13th.

Threads for Chapters 23 and 24 will be posted on March 15th.

**Poppy Adams joins us to discuss The Sister beginning on March 17!
Users Online
Currently online: 31 members 732 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: