Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes & Introductions

clayaiken wrote:
I just received my copy of The Sister and have already started reading. I can't wait for the discussions to begin. This is my second time being apart of this BN Bookclub.
Thanks
TM

TM, interesting logon. I take it you're a big fan. Jo
Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

Kiakar,

I do drive, from time to time, up and down 29-South; it's a beautiful drive. I've never actually stopped in Lynchburg though.

Best,
Katie

kiakar wrote:Katie; Have you ever traveled down 29 to Lynchburg ?. It is a beautiful view all the way down with all the mountains on every side of the curvy winding roads. Do you go to the university in Charlottesville? I visit Charlottesville right much, have friends there and family that lives alittle beyond Charlottesville.

Contributor
kbetts01
0 Kudos

Hi all, I 'm Kathy from Michigan.  This is my second book through First Look.  I loved reading the House of Riverton, and am looking forward to The Sister.  Though I'm not sure I can wait till March to discuss!!
I have three boys under the age of six so I don't get to contribute much but love to read your discussions and will chime in when I can.  Look forward to chatting with you.

Regards, Kathy B
Proud mom to three boys
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Signature of Pandora -- "I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library." Jorge Luis Borges

Pandora -- I like your signature quotation!

When I checked my porch about 3 pm this afternoon, The Sisters lay against the jamb. I thank B&N for the chance to participate in another First Look experience.

I am an avid reader perched in the NYC/NJ suburbs. I look forward to the reactions to this novel.

While I know "spoilers" are important to most readers, i.e., comments that include material from chapters that have not yet been read, I sincerely hope that posters will also recognize that "guesses" or "logical deductions" can act just as much as "spoilers" as premature quotations or references. I know it is not an easy task or judgment call to make -- but it is my perception that it is easy to diminish the reading experience either for others or for one's self with pacing that fits discussion (allowing perhaps excessive analysis and extrapolations of the text), but not necessarily the flow of the book.

Pepper
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Runnybabbit I love your user name. :smileyvery-happy:
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

wrigley2 wrote:
Hello everyone!
This is my first online book club. I am very excited to start but also a little bit nervous for some odd reason. I have 3 little kids, ranging in age from 8 months to 4 years. I love reading all kinds of books, I'm always looking for new authors.

No need to be nervous. You can participate as much or as little as you like. This is my third First Look discussion and I haven't been bitten yet. So just relax and enjoy! Jo
Reader
NHreader
0 Kudos

Hi there! My name is Karen too, and as you can see by my username, I live in New Hampshire. I'm 49, an avid reader, kayaker, work full time, snowshoe, and am also in 2 local bookclubs! I read a LOT and don't watch much, if any, TV. I read HAR, but fell behind in reading and didn't participate in the chats. WOW, these boards are active!!! I was kind of overwhelmed...I've promised myself I will jump in and give my thoughts this time. Look forward to talking with you all on the third...and I got my book!!!!!
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

krb2g wrote:
Kiakar,

I do drive, from time to time, up and down 29-South; it's a beautiful drive. I've never actually stopped in Lynchburg though.

Best,
Katie

kiakar wrote:Katie; Have you ever traveled down 29 to Lynchburg ?. It is a beautiful view all the way down with all the mountains on every side of the curvy winding roads. Do you go to the university in Charlottesville? I visit Charlottesville right much, have friends there and family that lives alittle beyond Charlottesville.

I hear they have great lemonade! Jo
Contributor
psawyers
0 Kudos

Hi!  My name is Paula.  This is my first time with the book club.  I just received the book The Sister yesterday, and cannot wait to start digging into it.  I'm very excited to be participating!  Talk to all soon.

Paula
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Didn't get mine yet but I'm rural so it takes a few extra days. Maybe today Debbie
New User
Cammie03
0 Kudos

Hello my name is Cammie and I just received The Sister yesterday and I am very excited this is my first book club.  I love to read but a little nervous but still excited to get started.
Contributor
ctcablegirl
0 Kudos

Hi Laura,

I live in Fairfield.  It's great to hear there's someone else from CT.

Karen
Reader
rdashby
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Dara and I live in Chicago.  This is my first experience with an online bookclub.  I received my book yesterday and I am looking forward to starting it.
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

Margaret George wrote a book titled The Autobiography of Henry VIII, which is quite good as well

I have this book in my TBR pile but haven't gotten to it yet.  Jo
Contributor
bookfan08
0 Kudos

Hello everyone! I am so excited to be a part of this book club. This will be my first time in a book club.    I am a  kindergarten teacher assistant but I am on extended leave to stay at home with my newborn son. I look forward to discussing The Sister!
Frequent Contributor
kmensing
0 Kudos

""""Ever wonder how the guy who drives the snowplow gets to the snowplow?" When I lived back East and understood first hand about plowing snow I loved that commercial! """

I've never seen that commerical, but would love to--it sounds hysterical!  LOL! We've gotten so much snow here this winter, we're actually running out of room to push it.  Some of our roads are down to almost one lane because there isn't any room for the snow plows to push it off to the side.  Our kids missed about 12 days due to snow.  We've been commercially plowing since 1989 and we've never had these accumulations.

kmensing
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Jo6353 wrote:

krb2g wrote:
Kiakar,

Best,
Katie

I hear they have great lemonade! Jo

Yes, certainly Jo we do and also Iced Tea is the best also.
Reader 4
newtn
0 Kudos

kmensing wrote:
""""Ever wonder how the guy who drives the snowplow gets to the snowplow?" When I lived back East and understood first hand about plowing snow I loved that commercial! """
I've never seen that commerical, but would love to--it sounds hysterical! LOL! We've gotten so much snow here this winter, we're actually running out of room to push it. Some of our roads are down to almost one lane because there isn't any room for the snow plows to push it off to the side. Our kids missed about 12 days due to snow. We've been commercially plowing since 1989 and we've never had these accumulations.
kmensing

This talk made me curious about the VW/Snowplow commercial, so I did a little googling. For those of you who'd like to see it, it's available on youtube, although it's the German version. The voiceover for the American version said: "Have you ever wondered how the man who drives a snowplow ... drives to the snowplow? This one drives a Volkswagen. So you can stop wondering."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUnEbNgHFco

As y'all can probably see, I've not posted to this forum much, so I don't know how it treats links like the one above. Hopefully it will work for you, at least as a copy/paste. :smileyhappy:

-Michelle in TN
Frequent Contributor
Jodi
0 Kudos

Hi all,
Im from  Wisconsin, and I got my book today.  Thank you B&N for this opportunity.:smileyhappy:
Reader 4
eshetter
0 Kudos

Yes, I got my book yesterday and I am so happy.  I opened the book like it was my first present on Christmas morning.  My hubby didn't understand what the big deal was with just one book.  He knows that I light up when I come home from the library or when I get a shipment of books from BN but he didn't understand the excitement with one paperback book.  I am very interested in the fact that Poppy does not have any sisters and if this influenced the way she wrote this book or the point of view that she wrote from???  It is going to be cold and rainy this weekend so I am going to curl up with my book, a nice glass of red wine infront of the fire and read.
Cheers!
-E

"Where there is no wine there is no love."
Euripides
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 704 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: