Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes & Introductions

Nice find! Though the US version, if I recall it correctly,had the VW driving through a more American landscape and deeper snow (I guess we get more snow in the Northeast than they do in Germany!)

Back in the days when every car (maybe with a few rare exceptions) was rear wheel drive, and there was no all wheel drive, the bug's rear mounted engine and relatively high ground clearance made it an excellent snow car.

newtn wrote:
This talk made me curious about the VW/Snowplow commercial, so I did a little googling. For those of you who'd like to see it, it's available on youtube,...

0 Kudos

Hi!  My book was waiting for me when I got home from work last night.  I started reading it this morning during the train ride in to work.  So far so good.  Happy reading everyone!
Luvs2read (a/k/a Norma)
Reader
TinaGW
0 Kudos

I'm Tina in Omaha and I just got my book today - it looks really interesting.  I think I will wait a week or so to start it so it will be fresh on my mind for discussion.  Looking forward to reading what everyone has to say!
dg
Frequent Contributor
dg
0 Kudos

I received my book about a week or so ago and have been trying to hold off reading it until the discussion gets started.  I read the House at Riverton and didn't know how the discussion worked and I had read the whole book before the discussion began and was afraid to comment because I thought I might give something away. I can't wait to start reading this book - I want to pace myself (if I can) and really read it along with the group this time. 
Contributor
Johanna88
0 Kudos

I signed up for this book club a really long time ago, and I have still not received my copy. Has this happened to anybody else, or is it just me?
Contributor
mimi29
0 Kudos

Woo-hoo!  My copy of The Sister came today and I can't wait to get started.  This is my second online book club...loved the first one I did many months ago, Abide With Me by Elizabeth Stroud...but this will be my first First Look club.  Looking forward to it!
Contributor
RaevenDarcluv
0 Kudos

Johanna88,
I wouldn't worry about it.  It seems like most people are getting the book today.  As long as you had confirmation that you made it in for this book, I'm sure you will get one.  I'm still waiting too.  I will check when I get home tonight.
Contributor
mimi29
0 Kudos

Johanna88,

I just received my book today and I never received confirmation that I had been enrolled in the club.  Keep the faith...your book will probably show up, too!
dhaupt
0 Kudos

My husband just called me from home The Sister has arrived Yeah
Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

Jo6353 wrote:

Margaret George wrote a book titled The Autobiography of Henry VIII, which is quite good as well

I have this book in my TBR pile but haven't gotten to it yet.  Jo

Ms. George also wrote an excellent book entitled The Memoirs of Cleopatra it's a bit intimidating in size but a wonderful book if you're into historical fiction.
~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Thayer
0 Kudos

Michelle, what part of TN? I am from around Nashville.  Dawn
~~Dawn
Inspired Contributor
Tasses
0 Kudos

Woo Hoo! Hubby just carried "The Sister" here to my desk in South Florida.
See all my reviews at: Reading Rumpus and Many A Quaint & Curious Volume
Reader 2
eastrong
0 Kudos

Just got my book today! I'm excited to be included in the First Look group.

I always have at least 2 books going at a time (usually more). I keep one at the office, one in the car, one in my purse - you get the idea. I hate to think what awful fate might befall me if I found myself with time to read and NO BOOK!!!

I look forward to the discussions and getting to know all of you better.

Ann

Contributor
Breezybelle
0 Kudos

My name is Robyn and "The Sister" has arrived in North Carolina:smileyvery-happy:.  It was at my door when I got home yesterday.  I just started reading it :smileyhappy:  I'm looking forward to discussing it online; this is my first online bookclub.
Frequent Contributor
READERJANE
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Jane and this is the first time that I have ever been part of an ARC discussion group. I'm semi retrired and I love to read. This  book has grabbed me and I am enjiying the stories within the story. :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
tgem
0 Kudos

Here we are living in somewhat parallel universes, receiving copies of The Sister.  I plan on reading mine now, and reading each section again as it's discussed.  A good book deserves to be read more than once...I'm looking forward to it.  :smileyhappy:tgem
Reader 4
newtn
0 Kudos

Thayer wrote:
Michelle, what part of TN? I am from around Nashville. Dawn

Hi Dawn! I'm over in east Tennessee...Johnson City, to be specific.
-Michelle in TN
Frequent Contributor
AnnieS
0 Kudos

Hi again, I am Annie from NJ (didn't say that last time)  anyone else from the good ole' Garden state?  This is my first book club.  I love to read and have just really started to indulge again.  I have 6 kids (age 5 - 19) and time just wasn't my friend when it came to reading.  Summer reading on vacation was a given and Patterson and Grisham were "easy reads" for me.  I never really went out of that realm until recently and even then it may not be that "out" 
Latest books read are:

Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz, Lost & Found by Carolyn Parkhurst, Whistling in the Dark by Lesley Kagen, The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards and The Time Traveler's Wife by  (I can't spell by memory)

Isn't that funny, I just realized that they are all women authors - who knew?:smileyhappy:

These along with my son's reads - Harry Potter all 7, Cornelia Funke, Paolini, D'Lacey, I enjoy those as well. 

Thayer
0 Kudos

newtn wrote:

Thayer wrote:
Michelle, what part of TN? I am from around Nashville. Dawn

Hi Dawn! I'm over in east Tennessee...Johnson City, to be specific.

ah, the Tri-cities!  It's beautiful there. My aunt used to live in Kingsport. Welcome to the book club.  Dawn
~~Dawn
Reader 2
beccaleigh
0 Kudos

Books have been one of the cornerstones of my life as long as I can remember.  I am an art teacher, however I have also taught an advanced reading class at my school for the last 16 years.  I started a book club with my fifth graders way before Oprah started hers.  I have also been president of my local reading association.  I was excited when I got my copy of The Sister in the mail last week.  I am looking forward to this new form of book club.  I belong to two locally, but I see this as an opportunity to get many diverse viewpoints.
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 385 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: