Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
reddoglady
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes & Introductions

hi -- I live in the raleigh area also -- north in Franklinton off 96 -- nice to see you hear -- :smileywink:
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

ELee wrote:

BookSavage wrote:
I understand the desire to not have any part of the book spoiled, but for those that are freaking out about talking about the cover I am lost. The picture of the cover is at the top of every page on this board and you can click on it and enlarge it. You don't need to have recieved the book to see the cover. I think some of you are just a little to arrogant about this whole thing. I hope this is not the way the whole discussion process is going to proceed, that could really mess up a good experience.

Ah, BookSavage, please be patient with us...
Some of us that have been participating in this book club for a number of years like to have the option of reading the material first before discussing other aspects. On many books the descriptive little blurb on the back cover contains mild to moderate spoilers, so some people make a decision to avoid looking at cover material too closely and reading book introductions (contain spoilers as well) before they have read the book. While I understand that you can't crack the book without actually looking at the cover, it is sometimes more worthwhile to delay the discussion in the event that what is read may add some finer nuances to interpretation. In any case, I personally think that it would be more productive to either supply the books earlier, or freeze these boards until discussion time. When you have this many people anxious to "discuss" and interact, it is far too tempting for those who have their books to begin making observations. (I know, I have mine already and have finished it, and must "bite my tongue" for another week.)

You know, I actually agree with you. After a few of these ARC clubs now, I think its good to have it open to introduce ourselves and visit awhile but once they decide to send the books, I am with you, I think it might actually be a better idea to just freeze the club till it starts then, including intros, since those should be done by then anyway and the club is froze to non members. It would stop all the worry and risks and also cut down over 1000 posts that some have to wade through when the club starts. Well more than that really with another full week to wait. Not a bad idea at all.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

purplepaigeturner wrote:
Hi everyone!  My name is Paige and I live in the Washington Metro area. Although I have been in Barnes and Noble discussions before this is my first time to do First Look. And I am very excited to be a part of this and to have already gotten an advance copy.
And I can not put this book down. I love stories about sisters. I do not have a sister (am an only child in fact) and I have always wanted a sister and this could be why I love stories like this one. I have only gotten about 35 pages into it but so far it puts me in mind of The Thirteenth Tale. That was a sister story that I just love.
Does anyone out there have any suggestions for other sister-stories I may enjoy
I'm off-back to The Sister!:smileyhappy:

Welcome Paige, I am also an "only." Funny you mentioned The Thirteenth Tale as I was going to begin reading that today (as I completed The Sister yesterday, and wanted to continue with something of a sibling theme.) If you are into historical fiction, you might enjoy The other Boleyn Girl which I thought was very good.   Dawn
~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Contributor
Alnilan
0 Kudos

From central New York, here is an excited reader, very grateful to be part of the "First Look", specially for the unique opportunity to check out new authors and discuss their fresh work. English is a second language for me and the main incentive for learning it was to be able to read the original writings of some of my favorite authors.
I share with many of you eclectic reading tastes, excluding genres like politicians memoirs or life problems panaceas.
I am looking forward to hearing and learning from you all.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:You know, I actually agree with you. After a few of these ARC clubs now, I think its good to have it open to introduce ourselves and visit awhile but once they decide to send the books, I am with you, I think it might actually be a better idea to just freeze the club till it starts then, including intros, since those should be done by then anyway and the club is froze to non members. It would stop all the worry and risks and also cut down over 1000 posts that some have to wade through when the club starts. Well more than that really with another full week to wait. Not a bad idea at all.

Yes, a good point indeed. Someone suggested that those who don't want any possibility of spoilers should just not read the board until the official discussion starts, but as you point out, by that time there are many hundreds of posts one must either plow through while trying to read and discuss the book, or just skip over and maybe miss some interesting things about people in the club.

Maybe the best thing is, as you and ELee say, to open the board while people are are signing up and introducing themselves, but then once the books are shipped to close them for further posting until the official start of the discussion. (In the old BNU, the boards were locked until the official start of a course or book discussion, and that seemed to work fine.)

I think you have a good point here.
0 Kudos

MsMorninglight wrote:

trishbrowning wrote:
Hi! Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm from California, so I've been waiting and waiting for my copy, even checking my message from B&N a couple of times to make sure they really did say I would be getting a copy of The Sister. I can't wait to discuss it with everyone!!

Hi Trish,

I'm down south of you by a few hundred miles & I received mine Thursday evening.  Hopefully, you'll be getting yours soon! :smileyhappy:

What exactly is blogging?  I know it's online journaling of some sort, but I don't really understand the point.

I finally received my book. Phew! Now I can stop obsessively checking to make sure I was accepted into the group. :smileyhappy:

I don't know what the point of blogging is necessarily (says the girl who blogs) other than it's a way for people to talk about their interests, whether it be politics, cooking, crafting, etc, and connect with people who are interested in the same thing. The nice thing about it is that many people who blog are also entrepreneurs. For example, a friend bought me these hair thingys for Christmas which she bought off the woman's blog. You can't buy them in the store. Another blog is by a woman who lives out in the middle of Oklahoma; she and her husband have a cattle ranch and she posts a lot of pictures and talks about what goes on day-to-day. And then there's those of us who blog about books. I can't speak for the others here who blog (there's three people I know who blog who are in The First Look Club), but I like to blog about books because I want to talk about books all the time, and this is a way to do it without alienating any of my friends. :smileywink: The actual reason I started blogging, though, was because I have horrible nightmares and it was a way for me to "journal" my nightmares and hopefully work through them so I won't have so many.

I hope I answered your question. If you have more, let me know.
Frequent Contributor
MsMorninglight
0 Kudos

trishbrowning wrote:

I finally received my book. Phew! Now I can stop obsessively checking to make sure I was accepted into the group. :smileyhappy
I don't know what the point of blogging is necessarily (says the girl who blogs) other than it's a way for people to talk about their interests, whether it be politics, cooking, crafting, etc, and connect with people who are interested in the same thing. The nice thing about it is that many people who blog are also entrepreneurs. For example, a friend bought me these hair thingys for Christmas which she bought off the woman's blog. You can't buy them in the store. Another blog is by a woman who lives out in the middle of Oklahoma; she and her husband have a cattle ranch and she posts a lot of pictures and talks about what goes on day-to-day. And then there's those of us who blog about books. I can't speak for the others here who blog (there's three people I know who blog who are in The First Look Club), but I like to blog about books because I want to talk about books all the time, and this is a way to do it without alienating any of my friends. :smileywink: The actual reason I started blogging, though, was because I have horrible nightmares and it was a way for me to "journal" my nightmares and hopefully work through them so I won't have so many.

I hope I answered your question. If you have more, let me know.

Glad you've received your copy Trish! I'm enjoying it.  I've made myself stop after the first 5 chapters, but hated to stop!

Thanks for the info on blogging.  I will have to check into this a little more, it sounds interesting.

I'm sorry to hear about your nightmares.  This may sound a little wacky, but have you tried dream catchers above your bed?  When my Mom passed away I started to have a lot of really bad dreams & I hung two of these up in my home. That was 7 years ago and I swear, I've not had a nightmare since! 

To help me sleep I also use meditation before I go to sleep.  I learned some really easy and helpful methods from the book Positive Energy by Dr. Judith Orloff.

"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind." - Henry James
Contributor
GinMarie
0 Kudos

Hi, Peppermill, thanks for responding.  I've been here in Minnesota since 1978.  Things have sure changed since we first moved to Eden Prairie.  This city started out with 8,000 people in 1978.  Today there are 53,000 people.  I love it here and would live no where else!!  Even with the winters; although we recently bought our daughter's home in Chandler, AZ so we have a built in escape.
I'm brand new to this book club.  Any suggestions?  I just received my book The Sister in the mail.  Thanks for any advice you can offer.  GinMarie
When you get to the end of your rope tie a knot and hang on. Eleanor Roosevelt
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

What exactly is blogging?

Even more interesting, perhaps, is why do people blog? And who blogs?

I think quite a few PhD theses, in Sociology, Psychology, Political Science, perhaps Philosophy, could be and perhaps should be addressed to this question.

Political blogs are perhaps easiest to understand. They are an inexpensive and relatively easy way to get a political point of view into the public debate. They are the modern age equivalent of the London coffeeshop of the 17th and 18th centuries, extending the discussion far beyond the coffeeshop walls.

The personal blog is a bit different. I think it has something to do with a sense of isolation, with not feeling empowered enough in one own's life, to having things one wants to say that don't seem to be being heard.

It's also an easy way for those who have always wanted to write to do so and get their thoughts into the public sphere without the need to go through publishers, editors, printers, and all that hierarchy which up to a decade or two ago was required if one wanted to get one's thoughts beyond those one could directly talk to or write letters to.

I say this in the context of my own thinking about starting blogging and wondering why that is a way I'm considering spending some of my time. I have decided that the question is whether I am sufficiently ego driven to think that there may be people out there who have some interest in what I have to say.
0 Kudos

I couldn't figure out how to write a new message in this thread, so I hope I am introducing myself correctly.

This is my first online book club. I have belonged to a regular book club for about a year. I typically read 3 books simultaneously--one at home, one in my car while I wait to pick up the kids, and one at the gym! I am able to keep them all straight most of the time!

I don't give up easily, but I have finally gotten to the point where I can stop reading a book if it seems worthless. For some reason, I used to feel bad about this but I don't anymore! I used to read only fiction, but lately I have branched out more into nonfiction.

I got my copy of The Sister last week, and read a little yesterday. I am not sure which location this book will end up in yet, but I am looking forward to reading it.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Landrea wrote:
I couldn't figure out how to write a new message in this thread, so I hope I am introducing myself correctly.
This is my first online book club. I have belonged to a regular book club for about a year. I typically read 3 books simultaneously--one at home, one in my car while I wait to pick up the kids, and one at the gym! I am able to keep them all straight most of the time!
I don't give up easily, but I have finally gotten to the point where I can stop reading a book if it seems worthless. For some reason, I used to feel bad about this but I don't anymore! I used to read only fiction, but lately I have branched out more into nonfiction.
I got my copy of The Sister last week, and read a little yesterday. I am not sure which location this book will end up in yet, but I am looking forward to reading it.

Hey Landrea,
Welcome and it looks like you figure out how to post here just fine. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
sbrinkley
0 Kudos

hi everyone, this is my second time in the book club, i really enjoyed the house at riverton and look forward to reading the sisters.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thayer wrote:

Funny you mentioned The Thirteenth Tale as I was going to begin reading that today (as I completed The Sister yesterday, and wanted to continue with something of a sibling theme.) If you are into historical fiction, you might enjoy The other Boleyn Girl which I thought was very good.   Dawn

Thayer, I thoroughly enjoyed 13th Tale.  Hope you do too.  I finished People of the Book last week and now attempting to read The Road, which for me, is mezmerizingly intense and The Sister simultaneously.  Call them my upstairs and downstairs books if you will.  :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Carmenere_lady on 02-24-2008 08:25 PM
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

vivico1 wrote:You know, I actually agree with you. After a few of these ARC clubs now, I think its good to have it open to introduce ourselves and visit awhile but once they decide to send the books, I am with you, I think it might actually be a better idea to just freeze the club till it starts then, including intros, since those should be done by then anyway and the club is froze to non members. It would stop all the worry and risks and also cut down over 1000 posts that some have to wade through when the club starts. Well more than that really with another full week to wait. Not a bad idea at all.

Yes, a good point indeed. Someone suggested that those who don't want any possibility of spoilers should just not read the board until the official discussion starts, but as you point out, by that time there are many hundreds of posts one must either plow through while trying to read and discuss the book, or just skip over and maybe miss some interesting things about people in the club.

Maybe the best thing is, as you and ELee say, to open the board while people are are signing up and introducing themselves, but then once the books are shipped to close them for further posting until the official start of the discussion. (In the old BNU, the boards were locked until the official start of a course or book discussion, and that seemed to work fine.)

I think you have a good point here.

I think that's the way to go too!  If that were the case I would spend -0- time on the boards and more time reading the book. :smileywink:
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Contributor
sbrinkley
0 Kudos

Hello everyone, second timer here, loved house at riverton, can't wait to start the sisters.
sara from mass.
Contributor
jlawrence77
0 Kudos

LyndaSue-
What did you think of "People of the Book?"  I bought it after Christmas with a great B&N coupon (I think I ultimately got it for $4!) but I haven't had the chance to start it yet.

Thanks,
Jenn
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

jlawrence77 wrote:
LyndaSue-
What did you think of "People of the Book?" I bought it after Christmas with a great B&N coupon (I think I ultimately got it for $4!) but I haven't had the chance to start it yet.
Thanks,
Jenn

Dang! I gotta pay better attention to those coupons!
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Contributor
purplepaigeturner
0 Kudos

Thayer wrote:

purplepaigeturner wrote:
Hi everyone!  My name is Paige and I live in the Washington Metro area. Although I have been in Barnes and Noble discussions before this is my first time to do First Look. And I am very excited to be a part of this and to have already gotten an advance copy.
And I can not put this book down. I love stories about sisters. I do not have a sister (am an only child in fact) and I have always wanted a sister and this could be why I love stories like this one. I have only gotten about 35 pages into it but so far it puts me in mind of The Thirteenth Tale. That was a sister story that I just love.
Does anyone out there have any suggestions for other sister-stories I may enjoy
I'm off-back to The Sister!:smileyhappy:

Welcome Paige, I am also an "only." Funny you mentioned The Thirteenth Tale as I was going to begin reading that today (as I completed The Sister yesterday, and wanted to continue with something of a sibling theme.) If you are into historical fiction, you might enjoy The other Boolean Girl which I thought was very good.   Dawn

Hi Thayer:  You will really enjoy The Thirteenth Tale ! It is the best book I have read in a long while. In fact I have read it 3times already. I must warn you you will want to read it more than once. Let me know how you like it.
I have read The Other Boleyn Girl I loved it- not sure I want to see the movie. However a sister like that I do not need
paige turner
Contributor
CylonReader
0 Kudos

Hi Paige - and Jenn:

I finished reading "People of the Book" about a month ago - same thing...I received an awesome coupon from Barnes and Noble and got the book for a steal! It's a great read...I've already passed the title of the book around to several, and given my copy to a good friend. The whole premise of the book is so fresh and original, and I was so impressed with Geraldine Brooks. I can't recommend it highly enough!

My Book Club has selected "The Other Boleyn Girl" as our title for March...and, we plan to see the movie together as a group. I've heard it's a great book.

I've started "The Sister" and I'm enjoying it already. I'm excited to be part of this club - it's my first time. It's so fun to read the other books that you all have read and thought were good.

Lisa
Contributor
applelarae
0 Kudos

That's really funny that you are from Oriskany!! I'm actually currently living in Liverpool. The funny part is that my husband grew up in Rome (Floyd, actually) and his grandparents have lived in Oriskany all their lives! His grandmother lives right next to the church and his uncle is the Fire Chief!

I hope you have a nice visit when you come up!!
Users Online
Currently online: 49 members 672 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: