Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
erina
0 Kudos

Re: BN Member Coupons

[ Edited ]
Thank you! I am a member but need to add my e-mail address I guess.  It may be under my husband's account! 

Message Edited by erina on 02-26-2008 06:42 PM
Reader
wildrosemama
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes & Introductions

I'm jumping in with my introduction. I'm the stay at home mom of four who absolutely loves to read just about anything I can put in my hands. Too many books, not enough time! I'm looking forward to being part of this online discussion. I participate in a real-life book club and I love getting other views about the books I read. Can't wait for the book and the online discussion.

Cristina in the frozen twin cities tundra!
I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.
Jorge Luis Borges
Wordsmith
BookWoman718
0 Kudos

Hi Cristina,
The frozen Twin Cities is one of the places I lived, lo, those many years ago when my kids were small.  I have a very special nephew and his family who live in Cottage Grove MN, so I still keep an eye on the weather up there, from my safe-from-shoveling haven in AZ.   I hope all your kids are in school, or at least take naps if they're not, so you can make good use of those snowy afternoons curling up with a hot cocoa and a good book or two! 
This sounds like it'll be a good discussion, doesn't it?  I'll look for your comments.
JoAnn
Frequent Contributor
LisaMM
0 Kudos

3jsob wrote:
Hi,
I'm a newbie.  I got the book, read it and absolutely LOVED it.  I can't wait to talk about it.  I will also be recommending it to my book club. I read often and have no preference for what I read.  I'm very excited to be apart of this!

Your book club will have to wait a little while.. it doesn't come out until June (hardcover)!
www.lisamm.wordpress.com
Contributor
jlawrence77
0 Kudos

Re: BN Member Coupons

I don't have a card and I still get the emails..I don't typically order online, I prefer to go in the store directly.
I have, however, created an online account for the books I do order online.

Jenn
Contributor
MissyJoon
0 Kudos

I so appreciative the "schedule" of threads for discussion posted . . . for the House at Riverton, I read the entire book before the discussions even began! This schedule will help me pace myself!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I also appreciate that this time they scheduled the discussion to start long enough after the books were shipped that most people, if not everybody, will have the book in hand for at least a few days before the discussion threads are opened. My book came late last week, the first time in these First Look clubs that I've gotten the book before there were already hundreds of posts in the book threads. I do appreciate it!

MissyJoon wrote:
I so appreciative the "schedule" of threads for discussion posted . . . for the House at Riverton, I read the entire book before the discussions even began! This schedule will help me pace myself!

0 Kudos

Hi,
Have you read her book, 19 minutes?
lori from Mass.
Reader
Lorisea1
0 Kudos

Hi Suzi,
Mt bookshelves look like yours, and how lucky to have a lit professor for a dad. I got my love of reading from my dad also and as far as opening a new book; my friends make fun of me because I love the smell of the pages...
Lori from Massachusetts
New User
kaywalsh114
0 Kudos

I am Kay and I also live in New England and have a black lab doggie. I work part time in a library and feel like a kid in a candy store. I am looking forward to joining the discussion of The Sister, which I just finished reading.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Lorisea1 wrote:
Hi,
Have you read her book, 19 minutes?
lori from Mass.

I just read it and there will be a bookclub on it in here starting in March too. I will be in that one too.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Lorisea1 wrote:
Hi Suzi,
Mt bookshelves look like yours, and how lucky to have a lit professor for a dad. I got my love of reading from my dad also and as far as opening a new book; my friends make fun of me because I love the smell of the pages...
Lori from Massachusetts

LOL! Kindred spirits!! You're so right about the smell of the book's pages -- there's nothing more wonderful than walking into a library. Such calm and such memories come with that smell. On a side note, however I never go to the library these days because I can't stand not owning the books I read...I want to have them around me and available any time I want to go back to them. Hmmmmmm..........I think I need professional help!!! LOL
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
New User
nancym46
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Nancy and I'm from Indiana.  I love to read all kinds of books, but I also look forward to enlarging the kinds of books I read through this book club
Contributor
dewgirl
0 Kudos

Hi all. Is anyone else still waiting for their book to arrive? I am so bummed that it has not arrived yet. I did PM Maria and Karen and hope something gets figured out, but I was just wondering if I am all only in my misery. I hope it arrives soon or I will have a hard time reading the first 5 chapters to start the discussion on Monday.

I also wanted to comment on setting up the posts to see most recent first. I love it that way and it also starts me on the last-read post from the previous time I read them. So I don't have to search through all of the posts I have already read. What a time saver. (Please don't ask how that works because I have no tech savvy to explain it.)

Happy reading. (Hope that I'll be happily reading along with you soon)
Correspondent
SandyS
0 Kudos

GinMarie,

I'm on Lake Minnetonka May through November.  Then in FL the rest of the year.  I was just back home to enjoy Minnesota's lovely -11 degree weather.  Can you believe I enjoyed it!

SandyS

Frequent Contributor
Lildove3
0 Kudos

I'm pretty sure I did an intro...but in case I didn't...I am from Orchard Park,NY ...this is my first experience
with an online bookclub, I'd like to thank Barnes and Noble for the opportunity to be apart of this new book
and all the wonderful help I have gotten to get me to this point..one question I have...when the disscussion
for the book " The Sister"...where do we go to dicuss the book ..kind of confussed...thankyou  all help
is really appreciated. :smileywink:
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Mine arrived late last week, and in the past I've been one of the last to get the book, so I'm surprised yours hasn't arrived. But don't worry yet about getting the first five chapters read in time unless you have a really busy schedule -- you can read them in about an hour or less, so if the book comes by Saturday you may well be fine.

dewgirl wrote:
Hi all. Is anyone else still waiting for their book to arrive? I am so bummed that it has not arrived yet. I did PM Maria and Karen and hope something gets figured out, but I was just wondering if I am all only in my misery. I hope it arrives soon or I will have a hard time reading the first 5 chapters to start the discussion on Monday.

I also wanted to comment on setting up the posts to see most recent first. I love it that way and it also starts me on the last-read post from the previous time I read them. So I don't have to search through all of the posts I have already read. What a time saver. (Please don't ask how that works because I have no tech savvy to explain it.)

Happy reading. (Hope that I'll be happily reading along with you soon)

0 Kudos

Lildove3 wrote:
I'm pretty sure I did an intro...but in case I didn't...I am from Orchard Park,NY ...this is my first experience
with an online bookclub, I'd like to thank Barnes and Noble for the opportunity to be apart of this new book
and all the wonderful help I have gotten to get me to this point..one question I have...when the disscussion
for the book " The Sister"...where do we go to dicuss the book ..kind of confussed...thankyou all help
is really appreciated. :smileywink:

Just hang tight with us here and next week, there will be threads posted to start discussing the book. The chapter schedule listed will tell you what chapters will be opened for discussion and when, but basically, right here, same time, same channel. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
New User
bma1126
0 Kudos

Hello -

I am new to this process and would love a quick overview of how things work. 

Looking forward to the discussion!
Beth
Seattle, WA
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

bma1126 wrote:
Hello -
I am new to this process and would love a quick overview of how things work.
Looking forward to the discussion!
Beth
Seattle, WA

Beth,
You might want to go to the book club home page and read the rules and regulations of participating in the clubs. Then in this club, go to the first post of each thread, where the moderator has written details for those threads and see what is said there. Both areas give important information. And welcome!
Vivian
Users Online
Currently online: 54 members 724 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: