Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

MLS
Frequent Contributor
MLS
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes & Introductions

Christin...what an exciting time for you...becoming a grandma! Congratulations!
New User
drummell
0 Kudos

Hello! This is my first online book club, or any book club for that matter. I love reading. Everything. Mystery, horror, romance, paranormal romance, and many others. Just about anything. My name is Danica, I'm 27 and a mother of 2. I can't wait to get started and look forward to chatting with everyone!
~Danica~
Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

welcome Kay, I am also a "volunteer"
~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I love seeing all these first time book club participants here. Fresh voices are always a delight.

As for me, I've been hanging around B&N book clubs for many years, back when they were B&N University. This will be my third First Look book. In addition to all the new e-faces, I see some familiar names, so it should be a stimulating discussion.

I'm working on retiring from the latest of a variety of careers, from teaching to corporate management to political consulting and polling to demographic analysis to law, with a few others tossed in there along the way (about ten years at the most seems to be about as long as I can endure one profession before it gets boring and I need to move on new challenges.)

I live on an island (no bridges, just ferries to get to the mainland) out in the Pacific Northwest on a family compound which includes my wife, my mother in law, my two daughters and their husbands, and my two grandsons, with my brother in law and his wife and my sister in law and her husband just down the road.
0 Kudos

VickieS wrote:
This is my first online book club and hope I get to participate. I live in Missouri outside of St. Louis. I love to read thriller/suspense, historical fiction, women's fiction, biographies and many other types. This looks like it will be a great place to discuss an interesting book!

Vickie,
you and I are neighbors. Welcome and hope to be talking with you about Sisters.
I also live just outside of St. Louis.
Debbie
New User
queenbeeamy
0 Kudos

Hi everyone my name is Amy.... Its nice to be on board!!
New User
pamd
0 Kudos

My name is Pam. I love to read, always have. My parents were big readers and I guess they passed that on to me. My tastes run the spectrum and I have the annoying inability to stop reading a book because I don't like it. I tell people and they look at me like I have 2 heads. Does anyone else do this? If I start it, I have to finish it, no matter how bad, if only to know how the story ends. I'm the same way with movies. If I start, I have to finish, no matter how bad. Maybe it's my way of learning how to really appreciate good writing.

This is my first book club. Other than school, I've always read to please myself so I'm interested to see how this works.
New User
Bellarose
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone!!

My name is Toni(pronounced Tawni)and I am really excited about participating in this book club. This is my first experience being involved in a book club. I love to read!! I read just about anything, fiction, non-fiction, history, etc. I am anxious to engage in discuss with everyone about "The Sister".

Toni
Contributor
bichonlover1
0 Kudos

Hello to all! I am so excited about this book club. I live for reading! I always have at least two books in progress. Don't you love being able to travel abd meet people and never leave your living room? I have a difficult time in telling someone a type of book that is my favorite. I just love to read.

I am probably grandma to most of you - I am 61. I say I have earned every single grey hair I own. I live in Idaho, which today is the state with too much snow and way too much wind. Perfect weather for a great book, hot herb tea and a comfy blanket or warm fire. Happy weekend to all!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

bichonlover1 wrote:
I am probably grandma to most of you - I am 61.

Ha. You're still just a young whippersnapper to those of us already collecting Social Security! :smileyhappy:
0 Kudos

Bellarose wrote:
Hello Everyone!!

My name is Toni(pronounced Tawni)and I am really excited about participating in this book club. This is my first experience being involved in a book club. I love to read!! I read just about anything, fiction, non-fiction, history, etc. I am anxious to engage in discuss with everyone about "The Sister".

Toni

Hi Toni, I hope you enjoy the club. Since it doesnt start until March, you might want to get your feet wet on how the boards work and things before this big club gets going, by checking out some of the clubs going on now and those that will be happening in Feb. Up at the right, you will see a drop box saying choose a discussion and if you click on that, you will find other books being discussed, or have been, or will be in Feb. I might suggest you check out some of those, you might want in on one, and try moving around them, checking the posts, getting a feel for the place. There are always clubs going on in here some large like this will be, some smaller. For all of you that are new in here, I would like to suggest, if I may,that you check them out and play around some to get the hang of it. I think it will make this one easier, it sure helped me when I first started. Plus you might enjoy a full discussion for Feb, while you are waiting for this to start in March. Good luck to all, and from a fellow reader, welcome to all the newbies! :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Reader
dlm86
0 Kudos

KxBurns wrote:
Welcome to the First Look book club discussion of The Sister by Poppy Adams. I'm Karen, and I'm delighted to be returning to moderate another First Look! I'm confident you'll find The Sister an enjoyable read and that we'll have lots to talk about.

Feel free to contact me with any questions, and please use this space to introduce yourselves!

Karen

Message Edited by KxBurns on 01-28-2008 10:18 AM

I can't wait to get this book! I read the excerpt and it sounds like a great read! I've been in one other book club and hope to make this discussion thing often.
Frequent Contributor
SleightGirl
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Joan. I'm originally from Honolulu, HI, but now I live in Las Vegas, NV. I read everything from fiction to non-fiction...if it looks interesting I read it.
Frequent Contributor
MsMorninglight
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Congratulations on your retirement. I know you'll love this forum.
Debbie

Thank you dhaupt! I'm loving retirement so far! :smileyhappy:

I'm enjoying many of the BN chat boards & look forward to my first Book Club. I'd welcome any pointers anyone would like to give on being part of the book club discussions.

"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind." - Henry James
Frequent Contributor
MsMorninglight
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Aunt_Beth_64 wrote:

CONGRATULATIONS on your retirement.

Beth

Thank you Beth! :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by MsMorninglight on 02-01-2008 08:48 PM

"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind." - Henry James
Contributor
MaggieL54
0 Kudos

Greetings from snowbound Central Illinois. My name is Maggie and I live near Peoria, Illinois. I was able to join for Riverton, but read the book all at once and felt overwhelmed by the posts. I am going to really try not to get too far ahead in the I reading this time. Delayed gratification will be my battle cry!! I read just about anything, just finished Boom by Tom Brokaw, but also loved Riverton and just about anything by Phillippa Gregory. I agree with Viv about the Muppets-Love the Muppet Christmas Carol:smileyhappy: Looking forward to chatting with you all

Maggie
Frequent Contributor
psujulie
0 Kudos

pamd wrote:
My name is Pam. I love to read, always have. My parents were big readers and I guess they passed that on to me. My tastes run the spectrum and I have the annoying inability to stop reading a book because I don't like it. I tell people and they look at me like I have 2 heads. Does anyone else do this? If I start it, I have to finish it, no matter how bad, if only to know how the story ends. I'm the same way with movies. If I start, I have to finish, no matter how bad. Maybe it's my way of learning how to really appreciate good writing.

This is my first book club. Other than school, I've always read to please myself so I'm interested to see how this works.

Pam, I so understand. My friends and husband don't get it either that I can't not finish a book (no matter how bad it is). I figure it only takes a few days to read it, so I might as well finish. Maybe something will happen to make it worthwhile! :smileyhappy:
http://bookingmama.blogspot.com/
Correspondent
SandyS
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm SandyS and am spending the winter in the Florida Panhandle. It sure beats the weather in my hometown in Minnesota. As my second on-line book club my goal is to KEEP UP. This looks like another big group. I'm missing my home book group so I'm thrilled to be a part of this one. See you all in March.
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

bichonlover1 wrote:
Hello to all! I am so excited about this book club. I live for reading! I always have at least two books in progress. Don't you love being able to travel abd meet people and never leave your living room? I have a difficult time in telling someone a type of book that is my favorite. I just love to read.

I am probably grandma to most of you - I am 61. I say I have earned every single grey hair I own. I live in Idaho, which today is the state with too much snow and way too much wind. Perfect weather for a great book, hot herb tea and a comfy blanket or warm fire. Happy weekend to all!

Welcome welcome you will like it here if you love to read. Be prepared to start making an endless list of books recommended here. They all sound so good you want to start them tomorrow. I think I could be your twin sister, same age, love to read, drink herb tea and have a blankie on (only in the winter here in FL) by the fire place. LOL Anyway, it's like one big family in here so enjoy. Glad you signed up.

Kaye
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Contributor
Skelly7645
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,
This is my first experience with both a book club and an online format. I have yearned to join a book club, but with four children and a full time job, it is difficult to schedule one more event! I read alot in the car while waiting for kids at sporting activities, etc.
I was immediately intriqued with the excerpt of this book. Luckily, I have a great relationship with my sister but I know that relationships are always changing. Ironically, I am presently reading another book about sisters and their relationship--Pieces of My Sister's Life by Elizabeth Joy Arnold. It is the author's first work, as well.
I think the biggest challenge will be learning to understand threads, posting, etc.
I can't wait to get started on the book and meet to discuss our impressions. I will be interested in learning the role of the editor in the writing and publishing of a book.

Looking forward to getting the book....
Susan
Users Online
Currently online: 34 members 993 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: