Contributor
blondemom74037
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes & Introductions

Hi, my name is Judy. I enjoy reading assorted types of fiction. I think I am going thru my sci-fi fantasy phase, although currently I am reading My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. I have wanted to read that book for a couple of years. Although I am a member of AARP *gasp*, I really enjoyed the Twilight saga (by Stephenie Meyer) too.
I am so looking forward to my first First Look book.
Contributor
Lady_Graeye
0 Kudos

Hello Anna, Are they your only ones? I have twins who are now 18, so you will survive!!! Mine where number 4 and 5 for me and they were good babies, thank goodness! It's amazing how fast you learn to multi-task when you have multiples! So you go girl! Nice to meet you, Lady_Graeye
"You Can Never Own Too Many Books; It's Just Not Possible!!!"
Contributor
Lady_Graeye
0 Kudos

Vivian, I live in St. Joseph, which is 50 miles north of Kansas City or what we call " The Big City" around here! St Joe is know for Stetson Hats, Cherry Mash candy bars, Home Of the Pony Express and where Jesse James got knocked off!!!( Not Knocked Up) LOL!!! This town seems to be regressing backwards cuz I sure can't think of anything new happening around here lately, Ha Ha! Not much excitement goes on around here. We're just jumping in our boots 'round here right now cuz "Olive Garden" opens up on Monday....YAHOO!!! We'll be standing outside in our 10 inches of snow for hours just to get in, mummmm! Gosh I must be tired cuz I getting a little loopy!. I really think it's the antibiotics from the strep-throat my 20 month old great-niece gladly gave to me! What a wonderful Valentine present she gave her "Aunt SE Se!" I don't think any of my other family members can top that one, no way no how! LOL!!! Lisa
Contributor
Lady_Graeye
0 Kudos

Sorry about thoses tornados, I felt bad about saying that after I caught the news. I can understand how it can snow 10 inches in one place and three to seven hundred miles of way, the weather system thinks it April and it's times for thoses good ol' tornados! It's snowed more this winter then it every has in a long time. Just a week before Christmas we lost of our power in an outragous ice storm that took 5 to 8 days to restore the power. Burr!!! We took every blanket and comforter off every unused bed in the house, lit the fireplace for the first time ever ( cuz it doesn't have a liner ) and cover up the little dog the best we could! We even picked up a homeless man up and took him to a shelter, much to my husband and our family members dismay! But what can you do? Leave him sitting on the side of a building in sub 0 temps. He was polite, dirty, reaked with the smell of alcohol and very much down on his luck. What can I say? I am just a sucker with a very big heart...Lisa
Contributor
llamareader
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Anne. This is my first time doing something like this. I love to read, maybe too much? My favorite author right now is Jodi Picoult. I read what catches my eye, whether it is a recommendation, something I see at Target, whatever. I love it when I get a recommendation based on other books I have read. Although I'm only 36 I grew up without a TV in my house,no siblings, and we lived way out in the country. Reading was a way of life, I cannot remember a time when I could not read.
Any advice for a first timer, would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Anne

PS I am a terrible typer, so please excuse my mistakes.
Contributor
MaggieL54
0 Kudos

Re: What we like to read

I am enjoying the trip down memory lane with what you all read as kids. I loved Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew and anything by Louisa May Alcott. Does anyone remember Donna Parker? I think I read Little Women every summer for 3 years. It was like visiting friends again. I so wanted to be like Jo... I can't remember a time I didn't want to read. My folks knew they would always find me in my room with a book. My husband came to reading late but we never go anywhere with out a book. Now that our daughter is in college, the television is rarely on we are reading. I finished Thirteenth Tale, this week and am reading The Deception of The Emerald Ring by Lauren Willig.
Frequent Contributor
reddoglady
0 Kudos

When I was younger I wanted to be a nurse so I read the Cherry Ames series and the Sue Barton series. I found a Sue Barton in an antique store and have it at my house in the mountains of NC. I also remember reading Honey Bunch which my mom also read.
Contributor
MaggieL54
0 Kudos

reddoglady wrote:
When I was younger I wanted to be a nurse so I read the Cherry Ames series and the Sue Barton series. I found a Sue Barton in an antique store and have it at my house in the mountains of NC. I also remember reading Honey Bunch which my mom also read.

I forgot about Cherry Ames and Sue Barton!! When we were on vacation in Fla. I remember walking to this little book store and buying paperback copies of those books for 75cents.!! What a trip down memory lane
Contributor
sriensche
0 Kudos

My name is Stephanie and I am here in Southern California. I used to read everything I could get my hands on but the last few years have been full of knitting and I cannot figure out how to read and knit at the same time so I switched to audio books. Now as I have developed a little arthritis and CTS in my wrist I figue I better take a break and read a lot more. Always wanted to be part of a "first look" type of group and I must say I am excited.
~Steph
Frequent Contributor
kbbg42
0 Kudos

To- Frank_n_beans; Your perfect day sounds just like my perfect day. I love browsing in a bookstore. There's just somthing about the smell of a bookstore that makes me feel so good. I could spend hours just looking around at the different books and checking out all the different sections. It's such a rush!
Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! I am so thrilled to once again be able to participate in the
First Look book club. The excerpt form The Sister sounds interesting.

Just started to read The Book of Air and Shadows buy Michael Gruber. I hope
to finish before the ARC arrives. Although there is plenty of time between now
and then, my schedule is quite hectic at the moment with work and kids. I like
to devote myself to one book at a time.

Well, I'm off now to one of the local B&N stores (there are three) and I have
5 books on my 'to buy' list.

-CathyB
Contributor
trishbrowning
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Trish. The Sister will be my first ARC. I look forward to discussing it with all of you!

I live in Northern California and these days all I do is read (though I work two jobs and am planning a wedding, so I'm not reading as much as I would like!
Contributor
KiimC_8741
0 Kudos

My mom bought me one of those but the highlighter ran out before the post-its did so I have this dead highlighter I keep picking up by mistake and trying to use - guess that means I use the highlighter too much huh :-)
Contributor
KiimC_8741
0 Kudos

I just got to the end of all the post and my reply didn't really make a lot of sense - highlight discussion was a few pages back - hopefully I will get the hang of this and not confuse everyone terribly!

My name is Kim and I live in the KC area - the weather we've been having is making reading much easier because it's too darn cold to be outside very much. As you can tell I've never done this before so bear with me and I hope to someday make some useful contributions to the discussion.

I too have decided to expand my horizons a bit and read something different which is why I joined this I really look forward to getting this book and starting this new adventure on online posting
Contributor
leannenodell
0 Kudos

Rosei wrote:
Hello everyone! I´m Rosangela, from Brazil, an active reader and book lover. I´m very excited for this book club beginning. It´s great to have a first look at a brand-new and interesting reader.

It´s a pleasure to exchange ideas with you.

Big hugs!

Rosei wrote:
Hello everyone! I´m Rosangela, from Brazil, an active reader and book lover. I´m very excited for this book club beginning. It´s great to have a first look at a brand-new and interesting reader.

It´s a pleasure to exchange ideas with you.

Big hugs!

Hi, my name is Leanne and I'm from California. I am really looking forward to The Sister!
Reader 4
KLady
0 Kudos

reddoglady wrote:

Oh yes, Honey Bunch! What about the Bobbsey Twins? There was also a series about twins that lived in various countries I remember reading with my cousins. When we were younger we also read Thornton Burgess books, which I got from my Dad and my grandchildren have read them as well.
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

KiimC_8741 wrote:
I just got to the end of all the post and my reply didn't really make a lot of sense - highlight discussion was a few pages back - hopefully I will get the hang of this and not confuse everyone terribly!

My name is Kim and I live in the KC area - the weather we've been having is making reading much easier because it's too darn cold to be outside very much. As you can tell I've never done this before so bear with me and I hope to someday make some useful contributions to the discussion.

I too have decided to expand my horizons a bit and read something different which is why I joined this I really look forward to getting this book and starting this new adventure on online posting

Hi KiimC!

Welcome to the group!!! It's nice to hear from you.
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Contributor
mrstreme
0 Kudos

Hi, everyone: My name is Jill, and I am excited to be part of this online discussion. I participated in the discussion for The House at Riverton, and I found the experience to be very enriching. I enjoyed reading everyone's comments and the responses from the author.

I am a self-professed bibliophile and write reviews on all books that I read on my blog, "The Magic Lasso" (http://mrstreme.livejournal.com). Come by and say hello!

Looking forward to participating in discussions with you all about The Sister!

Happy Reading!
Jill
KxBurns
0 Kudos

Welcome everyone! So glad you all could join us.

Wow, childhood favorite books, what a great topic! Add me to the list of James and the Giant Peach fans. My other favorites were The Borrowers, The Secret Garden, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (still have my beaten up old copy, in fact), and From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. :smileyhappy:

Karen
Reader
tsorrell35
0 Kudos

Hi -- I'm Tammy in Rougemont, NC. This is my first online book club, and my first book club in about seven years -- kids and work got in the way. I'm looking forward to joining the discussion of "The Sister."

As to childhood favorites, I devoured all Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys. I was a very precocious reader and had made my way through almost all of Jean Plaidy's books by age 12.
Users Online
Currently online:4 members 442 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: