Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
NelleyMac
0 Kudos

Re: What we like to read

MaggieL54 wrote:

reddoglady wrote:
When I was younger I wanted to be a nurse so I read the Cherry Ames series and the Sue Barton series. I found a Sue Barton in an antique store and have it at my house in the mountains of NC. I also remember reading Honey Bunch which my mom also read.

I forgot about Cherry Ames and Sue Barton!! When we were on vacation in Fla. I remember walking to this little book store and buying paperback copies of those books for 75cents.!! What a trip down memory lane

Cherry Ames, Trixie Beldon, Nancy Drew, Sue Barton! I loved all of these books. Mention of these books alone qualifies my reasoning for joining this group, haha. I already feel like I am in a room full of old friends. Nelley
Never judge a book by its movie ~ J.W. Eagan

I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning how to sail my ship ~ Louisa May Alcott
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes & Introductions

trishbrowning wrote:

vivico1 wrote:
does everyone else have this movie ad to the right here, of "the other Boleyn girl"? I know there was a book by that name, havent read it yet, and wondering if some of you in here did. It was fiction wasnt it? I do know that Henry did have Ann Boleyn's sister before he had and wed her. I really like stories about Ann and her daughter as queen,Elizabeth. I think Ann was the smarter of the two sisters in real life. It starts Feb 29 and has Natalie Portman, Scarlette Johansson and Eric Bana. I LOVE Eric Bana, the older brother in Troy. But I just cant see him as Henry VIII. He looks more like an Italian or Spanish King! From all descriptions and paintings of Henry, he was a much lighter skinned man, maybe even a red head. He was a Brit for heavens sake and here is Eric with those dark good looks, mmm, nice to look at but not right for Henry. So if you read the book, was it any good?

vivico1 - This was the first book I read by Philippa Gregory and it is her best, in my opinion (I've read all of her books except for 2). The really cool thing about her writing is that she sticks as much as she can to facts. If she says the Court went to this place for the winter in whatever year, then they in fact did that. She does an intense amount of research into her books (although, obviously, dialogue and motives must be made up and the story must be intriguing enough to sell). I highly highly highly recommend this book. If you have any questions about this author, feel free to email me.

One other thing I should add...this book is really about Mary Boleyn; Anne Boleyn is just a minor character in this book. There's another book that she dedicates to Anne Boleyn.

Thanks, for the info. I knew by the title it was about Mary, not Ann. And it was Mary he bedded first too. I may have to check it out. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: What we like to read

NelleyMac wrote:

MaggieL54 wrote:

reddoglady wrote:
When I was younger I wanted to be a nurse so I read the Cherry Ames series and the Sue Barton series. I found a Sue Barton in an antique store and have it at my house in the mountains of NC. I also remember reading Honey Bunch which my mom also read.

I forgot about Cherry Ames and Sue Barton!! When we were on vacation in Fla. I remember walking to this little book store and buying paperback copies of those books for 75cents.!! What a trip down memory lane

Cherry Ames, Trixie Beldon, Nancy Drew, Sue Barton! I loved all of these books. Mention of these books alone qualifies my reasoning for joining this group, haha. I already feel like I am in a room full of old friends. Nelley

I do remember the Sue Barton's books. Old good memories of the time I read those.
Contributor
kitkat234
0 Kudos

I just found out I made it into the sister club.I can not wait until I get the book & get started!
Frequent Contributor
Jaelin
0 Kudos

I found "The other Boleyn girl" to be rather fascinating. It was the second book I read by Phillippa and she is wonderful. I am just getting ready to read "The Virgin's Lover" by her and can't wait to see what she has to say. I did a report on Elizabeth for a college history class so I know a bit about her and can't wait to see how acurate she will be.
Jessee
That is a good book which is opened with expectation and closed in profit.
~ Amos Bronson Alcott ~
Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

My name is Debbie. I participated in the conversations about the House at Riverton. I am excited to be back. I love reading, music, and art. I knit and cross stitch. I also teach High School English - Literature.
Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought
william hazlitt
Contributor
ctcablegirl
0 Kudos

I read the book and really enjoyed it. I am now reading a book about Jane Boleyn who was married to Anne's brother. Anne's brother and Anne were accused of sleeping with each other during their trials. I forget the name of the author.

Karen in CT
Reader
egonz8
0 Kudos

Hello everyone. It is so good to hear that people are excited about this book club. Its also refreshing to hear people who read so many different kinds of books. This is my 2nd First Look book and I am excited to read it. I love reading and am forever at BN looking for new books. I read fiction books but different types. I like the historical books, thrillers, chick lits, and just general fiction. Glad to be back again.
Frequent Contributor
psujulie
0 Kudos

KxBurns wrote:
Welcome everyone! So glad you all could join us.

Wow, childhood favorite books, what a great topic! Add me to the list of James and the Giant Peach fans. My other favorites were The Borrowers, The Secret Garden, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (still have my beaten up old copy, in fact), and From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. :smileyhappy:

Karen

From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler was definitely one of my very favorites! I read it so many times. I recently bought a copy of it for my 8 year old daughter! I can't wait for her to read it.
http://bookingmama.blogspot.com/
Frequent Contributor
krenea1
0 Kudos

I agree with trishbrowning. The Other Boleyn Girl is one of her best books. Very entertaining. I cannot wait until this movie is out!!!

trishbrowning wrote:

vivico1 wrote:
does everyone else have this movie ad to the right here, of "the other Boleyn girl"? I know there was a book by that name, havent read it yet, and wondering if some of you in here did. It was fiction wasnt it? I do know that Henry did have Ann Boleyn's sister before he had and wed her. I really like stories about Ann and her daughter as queen,Elizabeth. I think Ann was the smarter of the two sisters in real life. It starts Feb 29 and has Natalie Portman, Scarlette Johansson and Eric Bana. I LOVE Eric Bana, the older brother in Troy. But I just cant see him as Henry VIII. He looks more like an Italian or Spanish King! From all descriptions and paintings of Henry, he was a much lighter skinned man, maybe even a red head. He was a Brit for heavens sake and here is Eric with those dark good looks, mmm, nice to look at but not right for Henry. So if you read the book, was it any good?

vivico1 - This was the first book I read by Philippa Gregory and it is her best, in my opinion (I've read all of her books except for 2). The really cool thing about her writing is that she sticks as much as she can to facts. If she says the Court went to this place for the winter in whatever year, then they in fact did that. She does an intense amount of research into her books (although, obviously, dialogue and motives must be made up and the story must be intriguing enough to sell). I highly highly highly recommend this book. If you have any questions about this author, feel free to email me.

One other thing I should add...this book is really about Mary Boleyn; Anne Boleyn is just a minor character in this book. There's another book that she dedicates to Anne Boleyn.

Karen Renea

Curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought it back
Frequent Contributor
krenea1
0 Kudos

Jaelin wrote:
I found "The other Boleyn girl" to be rather fascinating. It was the second book I read by Phillippa and she is wonderful. I am just getting ready to read "The Virgin's Lover" by her and can't wait to see what she has to say. I did a report on Elizabeth for a college history class so I know a bit about her and can't wait to see how acurate she will be.

I really like The Virgin's Lover myself. Although alot of people said that Elizabeth was made out to be too whiney in this book to be such a powerful woman but I thought it to be an overall treat!! You may have to put it in your mind that you are reading of her as a lover not a leader in this book.
Karen Renea

Frequent Contributor
erina
0 Kudos

I read The Other Boleyn Girl a few months ago and cannot wait for the movie. This was my favorite Gregory work. I have read the Constant Princess and The Boleyn Inheritance. I had to take a break from her work for a while but will jump back in with The Virgin's Lover and The Queen's Fool.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

erina wrote:
I read The Other Boleyn Girl a few months ago and cannot wait for the movie. This was my favorite Gregory work. I have read the Constant Princess and The Boleyn Inheritance. I had to take a break from her work for a while but will jump back in with The Virgin's Lover and The Queen's Fool.

not long to wait, it will be released the 29th of this month.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
krenea1
0 Kudos

erina wrote:

My first book of hers was The Queen's Fool. I was browsing the book shelves at Barnes and Noble with nothing in particular in mind and stumbled upon this book. The cover was interesting and the plot was right up my alley of reading. Once I read it I could not wait to get back to the store and get another one of her books. That's when I picked up The Other Bolyeyn Girl. I did not so much like The Constant Princess and The Boleyn inheritance as I did her earlier books in this genre.
Karen Renea

Contributor
trishbrowning
0 Kudos

krenea1 wrote:

erina wrote:

My first book of hers was The Queen's Fool. I was browsing the book shelves at Barnes and Noble with nothing in particular in mind and stumbled upon this book. The cover was interesting and the plot was right up my alley of reading. Once I read it I could not wait to get back to the store and get another one of her books. That's when I picked up The Other Bolyeyn Girl. I did not so much like The Constant Princess and The Boleyn inheritance as I did her earlier books in this genre.

krenea1, I agree. The Queen's Fool was one of her better ones, along with The Other Boleyn Girl. The Constant Princess, eh, not so great. However, for any of you that liked V.C. Andrews as a child, Philippa Gregory wrote a trilogy that is trashy trashy trashy!! but oh so good. Murder, incest, revenge, seriously this trilogy has it all. Definitely a guilty pleasure!! :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
erina
0 Kudos

Is it the Wideacre trilogy? I just bought the first book, can't wait!  I need a break from what I am currently reading. 
Contributor
CubbyVet
0 Kudos

I love this "series" of books.  So far I have only read The Other Boleyn Girl and The Constant Princess but I loved them both.  Right now I am reading The Boleyn Inheritance for another online book club I am in.  I can't wait to get further in the book to find out what hapens. 
I am also really looking forward to the movie.  Hopefully, my husband will take me, but I doubt it.

krenea1 wrote:

erina wrote:

Contributor
luckycharm6139
0 Kudos

I'm pretty sure that would be Alison Weir she as well as Philippa Gregory and Jean Plaidy write wonderful books on the Tudor period which I am very fond of.
Reader
J-L-P
0 Kudos

Hello everyone!
I would like to introduce myself, my name is Judy.  I live in Charlotte, NC.  These are a couple of firsts for me, first bookclub and first time posting on a message board.  I can't wait to read "The Sister"!
Contributor
hcwhitman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
The following was written as a reply to our friend in Alaska. It didn't attach to her message, but here it is anyway:

Hi! If you hate cold weather, you should try southern Arizona. Nowhere else in the country do you find such ideal weather. Our cold weather here is rarely really cold. We almost never see a freeze, the sun shines almost all the time, and our hot weather is not really hot, either, because we are high altitude. And it is dry here, so humidity does not make cold colder or hot hotter. I couldn't live anywhere else!

I keep seeing references to The House at Riverton as compared to Water for Elephants. I know some people like to compare in that way. I prefer to evaluate each thing on its own. No one ever sees things the same way. Lots of people here have said they loved Riverton and some have not. It was not a perfect book, but I loved reading it. The descriptions were lovely, lyrical, and luscious, at least to me. Wouldn't it be a dull world if everything had to be the same? I really don't want to read things that are like each other, no matter how much I like them, because it would get tiresome!

I love the opportunity to read and ask the author questions. How often do you get to do that?

Message Edited by hcwhitman on 02-14-2008 09:56 AM
Users Online
Currently online: 18 members 211 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: