Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
ginger81
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes & Introductions

Hey everyone! I just got my message. I am very excited. I am still enjoying The House at Riverton. I hope I can keep up better with the next book.
I am married, 26 years old, and a teacher. I live in Thorsby, AL. I absolutely love to read; however, I have a problem - I get stuck with authors. That is the main reason I have joined this Book Club. It has been great, especially this one. It has forced me to read something and someone new. Isn't that great!

"It is an uncanny feeling, that rare occasion when one catches a glimpse of oneself in repose. An unguarded moment, stripped of artifice, when one forgets to fool even oneself."
The House at Riverton, pg. 22

GW
GW
Contributor
AnnaB
0 Kudos

My name is Anna and I am a stay at home mom of almost 4 year old triplets. Reading is my relaxation and fun :smileyhappy: This is my first online book club, but I enjoy a local book club that meets monthly. I can't wait to get started!
Reader
nangreenwald
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Nan and I am 46 years old. I got my PM comfirming that I am part of this new group and I am really looking forward to it.
Contributor
MissyJoon
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone! I am Missyjoon. Like the rest of you, I don't leave home without a book! This is my 2nd time around, as I also read The House at Riverton! I loved the book--so much so that I flew through it, and then had a bit of trouble figuring out how to post on the fourm, since I finished it the 2nd day the forum was open! So I need to give this selection some thought with respect to how I will be posting!

I have a 13 and an 11 year old, and our favorite place to go is Barnes and Noble. When my daughter was a toddler, we had been to B&N so regularly, that when we went to the library, she said, "where's the cafe?"-----hee, hee!

I am looking forward to reading with you!

M.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Hi There

Hi, I'm Liz from the Western NY area. I just got my PM confirmation & I'm looking forward to both reading the book & discussing it with all of you. It's great to see a lot of names I know! I know it'll be a great discussion.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Contributor
bookaddict18
0 Kudos

Re: Hi There

Hi!
I am Heather from Michigan and I have been lucky enough to be a part of both previous First Look clubs. They turned out to be two of my new favorites and I can't wait to get the third installment. I have always loved reading and have just lately begun reading more than I ever used to. I read everything and love this club since it is a great way to find new authors and new books to read since I always have trouble finding things on my own. Hopefully this next book will live up to the first two in my mind and be a new favorite!
Can't wait to start!
Heather
Reader 2
jady25
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Lorna. I am so excited to be included in the reading of The Sister. This will be the second time I have participated in this book club. I was not able to keep up much with the discussions for the last one because I have a three month old little boy. I hope to be able to keep up more and be more involved this time. My son is starting to be able to play by himself more so it gives me a bit more free time.
I am so excited! Can't wait to get the book and start reading! See you all in the discussions!
Reader
chrisa511
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi Everyone! I just got my message saying that I made it into the book club for The Sister and I'm so excited. This is my first time participating on these boards, so it's nice to meet everyone.

My name is Chris and I'm an avid reader and book blogger in New Orleans. My blog is over at http://chrisa511.blogspot.com. I read a lot of modern fantasy and gothic literature and I like many of the classics too. Favorite authors of mine are Orson Scott Card, Neil Gaiman, Audrey Niffenegger, Charles de Lint, and the list goes on and on!

The Sister sounds like an incredible book...just like my cup of tea. Sounds like it may have a similar feel to The Thirteenth Tale...anyone else get that?

Message Edited by chrisa511 on 01-29-2008 03:30 PM
Frequent Contributor
Kourt
0 Kudos

Hello all. I just got my PM... Yeah I am in.... The last two clubs were amazing...Can not wait to talk to all of you about this book.
Frequent Contributor
penny70
0 Kudos

WOO HOO!!!!!!

I got in, I got in! I'm so excited. Okay, a little about me. My name is Penny and I live in Ohio. I'm 37 years old. I have been an avid reader since I was old enough to hold a book, not necessarily read the text but I was reading anyway. I have a very mutt style to my reading choices. Nothing in particular and lots and lots of hey that caught my eye type reading. My problem, I read them, love them, remember them; but can't remember the name of them - I tend to mix them up in my head. However, I have an ongoing list in Excel of books to read, and once I do I highlight them so I know I've read them. The Library is my very best friend so to speak. I would much rather buy but I just can't afford it on a substitute teacher's income; and I can't go into a book store and come out under $50 (and that is after I have spent time putting books back and those are the ones I just have to have) nor do I have the space to store them.

I'm really looking forward to this next book and I am really glad to see an early posting of the reading schedule. Maybe this time and I can stay with it and not have to be so afraid to post and accidentally post a spoiler.

Hugs,
Penny
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!

I just got my PM acceptance. I'm so excited to be joining you all! I've waited with baited breath to learn whether I'd be fortunate enough to participate, now I'm like a child at Christmas waiting for my book to arrive. I can't wait to start reading.

This is going to be so fun!

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Inspired Contributor
sgregg88
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! I am Shelby, from Vancouver, BC and have been enjoying the forums here at B&N for awhile. I am part of the First Look for The House at Riverton, which has been enjoyable. It's always fascinating to see what others get out of the same words on page and debate and discuss our opinions...
Contributor
Sisters3
0 Kudos

Yeah! I am in for "The Sister"! I cannot wait, I loved HAR but also found
it hard to keep up with the posts but I tried my best :smileyhappy: I love this book
club, as someone else said, it gives me great new reads to check out!
Can't wait to get started reading! Jodi
Contributor
sheshe703
0 Kudos

Hi! I was the oddball in my family growing up. I was the only reader out of four kids. My mom always wondered where I came from because I was so different. I was an english and history major in college (also the only one in my family to go to college) because they are the two areas that interest me the most.

Then one day about six years ago my mom called me and asked me if I could send her a book because she had heard about it on Oprah and wanted to read it. I was thrilled that she would want to read that I immediately went on-line and shipped it to her. She loved the book and has not stopped reading since. I read a ton of different types of books (apparently just like everyone else on this message board) and just put them in a box when I am finished with them and take them to my mom, my sister and my aunts who are all now readers. I think I started a good trend, it just took many years to everyone to catch up with me.

I am thrilled to be one of the first people to read a book before it is published. I can't wait to get started.
Contributor
Caliwriter04
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone..again!

I had to get a late start on my first book club selection, due to family constraints, but I am steadfast in completing and catching up! I'm very excited to be a part of the First Look Club, and I cannot wait for the selection next month as well!

I'm really looking forward to "meeting' everyone. :smileyhappy:

Happy reading!
Contributor
princessrexall
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Katie!

First time joining an online book club! I love to read... just about anything. I am excited about this book club and discussing. I hate not being able to share when I read a great book so I think this will be great.
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Bonnie

I'm from NC and this will be my second first look book. I also post on the romance books board, the paranormal board, and sometimes the center stage, mystery, or fantasy boards depending on the books and authors being discussed.

I'm a mother of 3 (grown or close to grown), an animal lover (2 dogs, 2 cats, feed birds and squirrels), a wife, a school psychologist, and an ex military (AF) brat and later wife.

I'm not much for in-depth analysis of books, but I do love to read and talk about what I'm reading. I read for entertainment and escape.

I'll wait till closer to the discussions start to try and figure out names and stuff.
Inspired Contributor
gosox
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hello all! I am very happy to be able to participate again in the First Look club. After a long day at work, I was very happy to get the message that I will be receiving a book. I am a happily married mother of 3 grown sons, the mother-in-law of one lovely young woman who has just given birth to our first grandchild. (a healthy little boy) I work as an elementary school librarian and welcome the chance to discuss books with ADULTS! As you can imagine, I read lots of children's books, as well as just about anything that I can get my hands on.
Glad to be back! Helen

Message Edited by gosox on 01-29-2008 06:14 PM
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

Just read my message saying I'm in. You would've thought I won the lottery. I'm so excited I can hardly wait.
Oh yeah, I'm Ebony Angel, (Carolyn) from Missouri. I read everything and when I run out of stuff to read, I'll read the yellow pages.
So far from the excerpt it seems like it's going to be another good one.
Reader 4
Teresa45
0 Kudos

Hi,
I'm happy to be included in this second book. I read the House at Riverton and enjoyed reading all the comments. I didn't post last time but hope to this time.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good romance novel. This is what my local book club is looking for. My suggestion is Rebecca. We need more than one. Thanks
Users Online
Currently online: 10 members 207 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: