Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
reddoglady
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes & Introductions

I finished it yesterday afternoon and will reread as the discussions start --  :smileywink:
New User
coralc
0 Kudos

Hello.  My name is Carol and I'm very excited to be joining the group privileged to be reading an ARC of The Sister.  I live in Little Rock, Arkansas and read at least 2 books at a time - both puchased and library copies.  In fact, a few friends and I circulate the books we buy, then donate them to the Central Arkansas Library System for stock or sale.

I've read about half of The Sister, and am intrigued about being pulled into the mind of someone who's thought processes are so completely unlike mine.  I became interested in The Sister when I read the author's biography.  I thought an intelligent woman like Poppy Adams would write a book that would grab me, and she has.

I should be through soon and I look forward to finding out what others think.

-Spends more at B&N than W-M
Frequent Contributor
LisaMM
0 Kudos

Does anyone know at what time the threads for chap. 1-5 will be posted?
www.lisamm.wordpress.com
Frequent Contributor
Mary1234
0 Kudos

I am new at this also. How does this work? I am ready not only to read what other people out there have to say about the first few chapters, but also to share my thoughts. When does this begin and where do I get moving on this???
Mary
Frequent Contributor
Mary1234
0 Kudos

Yes, I finished it also. I am not sure how to share or discuss it though. What is the procedure?

Mary
Frequent Contributor
kmensing
0 Kudos

"""Does anyone know at what time the threads for chap. 1-5 will be posted?"""

Glad to see I'm not the only one waiting go get this chat going.  LOL!  I've been on & off here since 6 a.m. waiting.

kmensing
Contributor
atkinst2
0 Kudos

Hi all,   just figured out how to post ....   I think!!!!

I am Theresa and live in Ohio.   Love to read and am really excited about this book.   Received it and can hardly put it down.

Looking forward to the posts.

Theresa
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Mary1234 wrote:
When does this begin and where do I get moving on this???

It begins as soon as BN posts a new thread that says something like "Discuss Chapters 1 through 5." So then we do that for two days, and on March 5 they will post another thread that says something like "Discuss Chapters 6 through __. (I forget how long the second discussion segment is.)
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

Mary1234 wrote:

It begins as soon as BN posts a new thread that says something like "Discuss Chapters 1 through 5." So then we do that for two days, and on March 5 they will post another thread that says something like "Discuss Chapters 6 through __. (I forget how long the second discussion segment is.)

Wow! Thanks for posting what the rest of us could already figure out.  I don't think people were asking for a repost of the schedule.
Go Cubs Go!
Frequent Contributor
LisaMM
0 Kudos

kmensing wrote:
"""Does anyone know at what time the threads for chap. 1-5 will be posted?"""

Glad to see I'm not the only one waiting go get this chat going.  LOL!  I've been on & off here since 6 a.m. waiting.

kmensing

Me, too! I'm so anxious to start!! But at some point today I do need to leave the house! I'm hoping we'll see the chapter threads sometime this morning.
www.lisamm.wordpress.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

BookSavage wrote:

Everyman wrote:

Mary1234 wrote:

Wow! Thanks for posting what the rest of us could already figure out. I don't think people were asking for a repost of the schedule.

I'm sorry you think I should not have answered this new poster's question "when does this begin." I take such questions seriously, and think they deserve an answer. But of course you are perfectly free to disagree with that and to feel that new posters should be required to figure things out without assistance.

In future I may make other posts that say things you could have figured out on your own. So I suggest that you just make a practice of skipping any post I might make. It will help keep your blood pressure down.
0 Kudos

Too right, Everyman!  It sounds like for some of the people joining us it's very, very new to them.  Mary1234 had several basic questions, and it's quite nice that Everyman took time to answer.  That's what we're here for--to help each other and discuss.  I would hope if I had questions about the process someone would help me.  I can see how these boards could be confusing to someone who hasn't ever posted to a forum or discussion online.  My own brother knows the internet pretty well, and I had to explain what a "thread" was to him not too long ago.  I just assumed he'd know what I was talking about.  Remember what happens when we assume things about one another?  Thanks Everyman!  You helped me once upon a time when I was new to the boards! :smileyhappy:
Everyman wrote:

I'm sorry you think I should not have answered this new poster's question "when does this begin." I take such questions seriously, and think they deserve an answer. But of course you are perfectly free to disagree with that and to feel that new posters should be required to figure things out without assistance.

In future I may make other posts that say things you could have figured out on your own. So I suggest that you just make a practice of skipping any post I might make. It will help keep your blood pressure down.

Happiness is a warm blanket!
Frequent Contributor
LisaMM
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

BookSavage wrote:

Everyman wrote:

Mary1234 wrote:

Wow! Thanks for posting what the rest of us could already figure out. I don't think people were asking for a repost of the schedule.

Yikes! Must we be all snarky with one another before this thing even gets going? Can't we all just get along??
www.lisamm.wordpress.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

LisaMM wrote: Yikes! Must we be all snarky with one another before this thing even gets going? Can't we all just get along??

Keep reminding us! Thx, Lisa!
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
reddoglady
0 Kudos

I agree enough snarkiness -- 
dhaupt
0 Kudos

unfortunately we can't detect vocal ups and downs so we really don't know if some one is being snarky or not with just the written word, but I agree let's all get along.
New User
jacklynhaas
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone! My name is Jackie and I am new to this online book club. I have always wanted to be part of a book club, but never seem to be able to find the time to meet with the actual people in the club! This is a great alternative.

I feel that I am a bit behind everyone at this point, so I will be trying to catch up to everyone else in terms of getting up to date on the threads.

Just a little bit about me. My husband and I live just outside of Boston, MA with our dog, Troy. We just moved into a new apartment. We both completed our Masters degrees and are now using all of our free time catching up on all the pleasure reading we had to put on hold for the last two years.

I am looking forward to reading with you.

Jackie
Contributor
silk569
0 Kudos

Hello,

My name is Jena.  This is my first book club online.  As everyone here, I like to read.  To be able to view a book before it's released is exciting.  I feel special.  I hope this works out good.  I'm not sure if I can post my comments on 5 chapters at a time.  I usually read fairly fast and forget alot of details.  Anyways I look forward to it.

Jena 
Jena
Reader 2
liza-lu
0 Kudos

First time taking part in an online chat. How do I post a "new" introduction and not a "reply?"
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

BookSavage wrote:

Everyman wrote:

Mary1234 wrote:

When you say "People" I hope you weren't speaking for Mary1234. In Everyman's defense...he was answering legitimate question. It's not the practice of this board to ignore someone who needs help.
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Users Online
Currently online: 27 members 652 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: