Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes & Introductions

liza-lu wrote:
First time taking part in an online chat. How do I post a "new" introduction and not a "reply?"

just like you just did, :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
New User
Pookie261
0 Kudos

Hi Mary,  I'm new to this as well. This is my first time being a First Look reader. I can't even figure out how to create my own 'new' message ;-) so I thought I would just reply to yours.

I'm still trying to figure out how to go about this. Someone told me that we were supposed to wrote a post about chapters 1-5 by March 4th. So, I'll go try to find out where that is.

New User
Pookie261
0 Kudos

Ha - I just left you a post and didn't even give you my name - how rude of me. Ok, so, as I mentioned this is my first time as well. My name is Terri and I live in Columbus, Ohio. I love to read and am very excited about being a part of the First Look club.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Pookie261 wrote:
Ha - I just left you a post and didn't even give you my name - how rude of me. Ok, so, as I mentioned this is my first time as well. My name is Terri and I live in Columbus, Ohio. I love to read and am very excited about being a part of the First Look club.

LOL, hi Terri. And by the way, just look at the thread names and you will know where to post. There are only threads on chapters 1 and 2 so far today, not 1-5.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Reader
craftyreader
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Jessica.  I am a stay at home mom of three.  We live in very snowy northern New York--lots of time to read in the winter.  This is my first-first look and I am excited to share my love of reading with other like minded people.
Frequent Contributor
Lildove3
0 Kudos

Basicly what my interpatation for chapters 1-5 for "The Sisters" is the one sister (Viv) comes home,
Ginny is apprehensive because of their seperation for many years. Then the Viv has an awful fall from
the dreaded tower. After which  comes a discussion of the dislike of Dr Moyse by Ginny in chaper two.
Chapter three is when Vivi has arrived and the chat a little about their younger days and then Vivi is
horrified that Ginny had sold some of the house furniture.  In chapter 4, Ginny speaks about her and her
sister Vivi going to finishing school,how her mom would encourage her not to give up but she always knew
Vivi was her mother's favorite. Ginny felt she took after her dad's characteristics,which was being a very
simple type of person. For the most part chapter 5 is Ginny has a strong desir to study the moths and
butterflies like dear ol' dad. This chapter is where Clive (which is dad) and Ginny have a start of a strong
bond.. it's.almost as if he treats Ginny like a son he never had.
Contributor
dumlao_n
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am thrilled to read another book in the B&N book club. I read The House at Riverton, but did not catch up with everyone on the message boards. Hopefully, I will be quicker this time. :smileyhappy: I look forward to what everyone else says about the book.

~Nicole
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

lmpmn wrote:

Too right, Everyman!  It sounds like for some of the people joining us it's very, very new to them.  Mary1234 had several basic questions, and it's quite nice that Everyman took time to answer.  That's what we're here for--to help each other and discuss.  I would hope if I had questions about the process someone would help me.  I can see how these boards could be confusing to someone who hasn't ever posted to a forum or discussion online.  My own brother knows the internet pretty well, and I had to explain what a "thread" was to him not too long ago.  I just assumed he'd know what I was talking about.  Remember what happens when we assume things about one another?  Thanks Everyman!  You helped me once upon a time when I was new to the boards! :smileyhappy:
Everyman wrote:

I'm sorry you think I should not have answered this new poster's question "when does this begin." I take such questions seriously, and think they deserve an answer. But of course you are perfectly free to disagree with that and to feel that new posters should be required to figure things out without assistance.

In future I may make other posts that say things you could have figured out on your own. So I suggest that you just make a practice of skipping any post I might make. It will help keep your blood pressure down.

I think it makes a new person feel special when someone gives them the time of day or whatever else they ask for. Just a way of being polite and cheery!

Reader
dlm86
0 Kudos

hi my name is denise and i am very excited to read this book....i have read the first chapter and so far it's a compelling read. :smileyhappy:
New User
deeflynn
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Dee. I'm a single mother of 3 boys, we live in Chesapeake, VA.  This is my first time participating in a book club and I think I already blew it because I'm done with the whole book (sorry, read it in 2 days). I love to read.

Now it's time for me to figure out posting for the chapters.  :smileyhappy:
Inspired Contributor
Popper19
0 Kudos

deeflynn wrote:
Hi, my name is Dee. I'm a single mother of 3 boys, we live in Chesapeake, VA.  This is my first time participating in a book club and I think I already blew it because I'm done with the whole book (sorry, read it in 2 days). I love to read.

Now it's time for me to figure out posting for the chapters.  :smileyhappy:

Hi Dee - This is my third "first look" club and I read the entire book already too.  Don't worry about it - just be mindful when you post.  I've done it both ways and I'm enjoying just reading everyone's posts this time.  I guess I'm being a bit voyeuristic like Ginny:smileywink:.
Reader 2
loguepa
0 Kudos

Signing in for the first time to say hi everyone! My name is Pat, and I am delighted to be participating in my first on-line book club. My reading selections are pretty eclectic, and from what I've seen in the book reviews while lurking the past month or so the choices have been variable and the conversation lively and thought provoking. Hopefully I have something to add to the mix! I look forward to talking to everyone about The Sister.

Pat
Contributor
lisabook
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Lisa. This is my 2nd First Look Book Club, and I love the experience of reading a book before it is actually available. I don't get much time to read all the discussions with working full-time, and having 2 small kids. I have finished the book already, and will be adding to the discussions when I have time.
Reader 2
liza-lu
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Debbie. I'll change the name I post under to "DC" if I can figure out how to do it. Liza is one of our cats. She came already named so I added the "lu." Had I named her, she would have been Lulu, for lunatic. Her nickname is the She Devil. She's Mommy's girl. Our other two children are Frisco (Daddy's boy) and Niobe (who thinks she is married to Frisco). I'm not sure how we ended up with three. No children of the human varity. I am a former librarian, both high school and public. I'm homebound, but don't find myself reading enough. This has been a tough week, so I plan to get caught up and the reading and posts this weekend. I have Multiple Sclerosis. I am currently at war with my left leg. I've had three operations on my left knee (1984, 1985, 1990). I had a compound fracture of my left ankle in December 2006. It has been a long recovery, which wasn't over yet. I added a broken leg on March 1st. I'll introduce some other body parts another time... just bear with me if I run a little behind -- the cast pushes on the metal from the ankle injury and I'm on a fair amount of pain meds. Cheers, DC
MLS
Frequent Contributor
MLS
0 Kudos

Welcome to the ARC of The Sister, Michael!  You truly are a lover of all books and  a person of many interests.  I hope you find this message among the hundreds of posts...wondering if either of us has time enough to keep up with this.  What fun... and you are brave to step into what appears to be a very feminine world!  Some very intelligent people of both genders dwell here...you will enjoy many of their observations.  And  I love knowing that you love to read.  Happy Reading...mom.
MLS
Frequent Contributor
MLS
0 Kudos

To luvstoshop and kmensing from Michigan ...

March is already here and again we expect another snow storm . I am hoping that here in the thumb we will miss it.  What ever comes it will be cold enough to have a good excuse to keep reading our new books from B and N ARC!  Happy reading.  mls

MLS
Frequent Contributor
MLS
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes & Introductions from Dawn

To Dawn and  Kristen who patiently care for our precious little ones....maybe the moms just don't have time to say thanks but they certainly wouldn't be leaving their children in your daycare if they didn't respect you.  I had a home daycare for about 15 years with scores of children coming to my home.  Today they are respected citizens and often they come back to talk of their memories.  Now I have grandchildren in daycares and I love each of their providers...cause if I had to care for them, I wouldn't ever get time to read these thousands of posts and reply to a few of them!  Happy reading. mls
Reader 2
liza-lu
0 Kudos

Just realized I was a month off re: when I broke my leg. It was February 1st, not March 1st! Looking forward to finally being able to start the book tomorrow!
Contributor
corym
0 Kudos

Hello everyone, my name is Charlotte and I live in sunny Corpus Christi, Texas.  This is my 2nd B&N book club and I really enjoy the books and reading the postings.

Reading helps me escape from the day-to-day stress of being a Marketing Manager and also encourages me to write which is my passion.

So far, I enjoy the book and love Barnes & Noble!!

Reader
jistamom
0 Kudos

Hi all:

I'm one of the many newbies of the First Look book club. I have been an avid reader all my life and will read anything although latley my favorite genres have been true crime, mystery and history.

Reading late into the night used to get me in trouble growing up as I was often caught under the covers with a flashlight engrossed in a book rather then sleeping as I was supposed to. Lucky for me I had parents who understood the importance of reading and didn't discipline too hard for this rule infraction. Now my hub is the one who catches me reading in the wee hours and asks if I am ever planning to come to bed.

I am excited to join this club and look forward to a spirited discussion of The Sister.It does look as if I may be one the few who waited until I read the book to log on - sorry sat down with book and read it straight through although that doesn't quash what my reactions were to it as I read.
Users Online
Currently online: 51 members 631 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: