Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
CarolinaBookworm
0 Kudos

Re: Welcomes & Introductions

Hi everyone! My name is Amanda and this is my first time with a First Look book club. I am really looking forward to reading the book and discussing it with all of you. And like many of you, I also love to read many different genres. Happy Reading!

Amanda
Reader 2
readmoreino8
0 Kudos

Hey everyone! My name is Kay and I live in Tennessee. I am really excited to be part of this group. This is my first time in an online book club. The book sounds like it will be very good. I can't wait until my copy comes.
Frequent Contributor
judycarr
0 Kudos

Thrilled to be included in the First Look bookclub again. Didn't have the opportunity to post alot during the reading of the House at Riverton. Like several of you, I think I was a little overwhelmed. But I am happy to be included and look forward to chatting with everyone.
Contributor
panicfingers
0 Kudos

HI All,

I just wanted to introduce myself since I am new to the book club. I am in the process of finishing my teaching degree and will be spending the next 14 weeks student teaching. However, I always love to sink my teeth into a new book and am thrilled to be part of the first look book club. I want to thank my wonderful friend Margie to letting me know about this club.

I look forward to chatting with everybody.
Diana
Reader 2
annie1221
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone! I'm really looking foward to reading "The Sister". I'm 26 and I love to read. Really looking foward to all the discussions.
New User
SondraKay
0 Kudos

My name is Sondra and this is my first online book club. I am looking forward to reading and discussing The Sisters. Over the last couple of years I have finally been able to read for my pleasure, as I always seemed to be reading for school or some type of medical book prior. Reading for my pleasure has been just that, and I have been reading everything I can get my hands on -- no one particular area of interest -- just reading. So I am up for my next adventure!
Reader
gertie
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm gertie. I live in Australia and am glad to see readers from such varied places and backgrounds. I grew up engrossed in books, wandering home from school with book in hand, having to be called repeatedly to dinner before my name finally penetrated the story I was immersed in. This is my first online bookclub.
Contributor
tawnyaz
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I am so excited to get into this bookclub! I read last month's and enjoyed it immensely.
I also enjoyed reading everyone's comments and getting new perspectives on what I was reading.

Thank you First Look.

Tawnya
dhaupt
0 Kudos

MsMorninglight wrote:
Hi There,

This is so much fun! This is the first time I'll have participated in a Book Club, as well as my first time with First Look.

I'm retiring & today is officially my last day of work, so this is a wonderful way to begin doing the things that I enjoy the most; reading of course being in the top 10!

Happily, I have received my confirm & the excerpts have piqued my interest! I look forward to seeing how The Sister will unfold & how, after a 50 year separation these two sisters will change each others lives.

Congratulations on your retirement. I know you'll love this forum.
Debbie
Contributor
amdesigner
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone ! My name is Augustina from Houston,TX. I am college student I am studying graphic design for my BFA degree. I have been couple of bookclub but it shut down. I don't know why. I am in the Oprah book club. Right now there is a new book and they will have class online for free. Check out. It sound very interesting. There is other site. You can add books. www.shelfari.com

Well, I have challenged myself to read outside my favorite selections more often this year and I thought this would be a good way to do this. I read mostly chic literature, women fiction and Latino fiction book. So this year I have found myself reading a lot more general fiction, non fiction, science,art history, and even an historical fiction novel because of researcher for my classes.Right now I am taking biology I have to do researcher paper and US history 1 , my topic is : women rights. Hopefully get more information. I hope anyone knows any good books or person. Too add in my researcher paper. Or check out a book.

I am looking forward to getting to know others who love to read. I love reading.. I just cant stop reading. It keeps me busy. When I am off school. That's where I get my ideas and creativity.. I hope to make new friends online from other cities and states.. We can share some books to reads.

Have nice day

amdesigner
@gustin@ "AMDesigner"
Contributor
lrusch
0 Kudos

I am looking forward to The Sister. This is my second time in the First Look book club, and I hope to keep up with the posting schedule this time around.

Helen
New User
tanya1512
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone

My name is Tanya. I hope this message finds you all well. I am very excited about the book group I have never been in one before. I have unsuccessfully tried on numerous occasions to start a book group amongst friends, but nothing stuck. I read on average at least 1 book per week, but can average up to 5. I have a lot of free time at work and reading keeps me occupied. I never before starting my job realized how many different websites and book trading sites there are. It seems my wishlist of books I would like to read extends into the hundreds and grows daily. I love B&N and often find the staff at my local store in Wilkes-Barre PA make wonderful suggestions on books I never would have thought to read. I don't think I have a favorite genre. I am trying to work more classics into my reading, but am finding it tough. Memoirs/biographies are probably what I read most of. Those or nonfiction books that are history or sociology related topics. Lately I am reading a lot of chick lit(which I find disturbing), but it gives me a laugh thought the day and helps to keep me focused. I look forward to hearing everyone opinions and chatting in the future. Till then take care all.
Reader
BellFell
0 Kudos

Hello fellow readers - I'm Vicki from NY and this is my first "First Look" book club.
Looking forward to a new experience!
Frequent Contributor
Aunt_Beth_64
0 Kudos

MsMorninglight wrote:
Hi There,

This is so much fun! This is the first time I'll have participated in a Book Club, as well as my first time with First Look.

I'm retiring & today is officially my last day of work, so this is a wonderful way to begin doing the things that I enjoy the most; reading of course being in the top 10!

Happily, I have received my confirm & the excerpts have piqued my interest! I look forward to seeing how The Sister will unfold & how, after a 50 year separation these two sisters will change each others lives.

CONGRATULATIONS on your retirement.

Beth
Frequent Contributor
Aunt_Beth_64
0 Kudos

penny70 wrote:

Fozzie wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

FOZZIE! Hey there! Good to see you. Laura, even time I see your name "Fozzie", I smile and want to do the Fozzie Bear laugh and shake sideways and tell a corny joke lol. I loved Fozzie Bear on the Muppets. Thats probably why I called you Fozzie more often, when last we were in a club together, than Laura. :smileywink:

LOL!!! :smileyhappy:

I, too, love the Muppets. I actually used Fozzie as my CB handle, way back when in the 1970's! Thought it would work here too. Of all the names (Kermit, Miss Piggy, Beaker, Dr. Honeydew, Gonzo, etc.), Fozzie seemed the most normal. However, I would liken myself more to Miss Piggy!
:smileywink:

The Muppets were great, clean, family entertainment and I loved them. My pick though of characters .... ANIMAL!!!!!! Him getting all wound up on the drums and taking over songs just tickled me. I still find myself singing parts of the song "Movin' Right Along" from time to time (from The Muppet Movie).

Hugs,
Penny

Oh, I love the Muppets too!

This conversation reminded me of a TV news story I watched recently about how how the first years of Sesame Street (and I assume the Muppets too because of common characters) would not be acceptable to broadcast today. The Cookie Monster wouldn't make the cut because of his obsession with cookies in a time when so many children are obese. There was also something about Oscar--maybe it was seen as a slight to people who are homeless. They went through several more characters--I don't remember the details. It's funny to me that as adults so many of us have fond memories of these characters. Their personality quirks didn't warp us. In fact, I think they probably made us more tolerant and accepting of ourselves and others.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

I'll look on the network web sites to see if I can locate the story for those of you who may have missed it. If I find it I will post it under the Community Room thread for those who may want to continue this conversation.

Beth
Contributor
Margaret42
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,
My name is Margie and I live in Eastern, Ontario. I work full-time and have two teenagers. (another full-time job) I was in the House at Riverton discussion, which was a bit of a challenge with all the posts and very smart readers (close to the end I may have fallen "down the rabbit hole")but I am really looking forward to a new book and all the different thoughts and ideas. (hundreds of them)

Sincerely,
Margie
m a r g a r e t~
Frequent Contributor
cocospals
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi everyone,
I got a message this morning thanking me for signing up and letting me know the book would ship in February. I was also part of the First Look House at Riverton group and I did enjoy reading the book and lending my observations. This one looks like a goodie also.
My name is Gayle and I live in the Denver metro area. I am an avid reader and have an Amazon bookseller site called Cocospals (dog's name, we're her pals, get it?)

gg

Message Edited by COCOSPALS on 01-31-2008 09:38 AM
Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there - John Wooden
Contributor
CKindian
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! My name is Carol and I am an avid reader. I read most of the time. I Love to find new Authors. This is my second time for BN's first look book club. I loved The House At Riverton. I think I am finally getting the hang of how things work online. I belong to a mystery book club at my library, we meet once a month and discuss the book we read the previous month. This club is a face to face book club. It also is a lot of fun. Looking forward to The Sister.
Frequent Contributor
cocospals
0 Kudos

And here I thought I was the only grown woman on earth who loved the Muppets. We were at a luncheon during the holiday season and the question was asked "What is your favorite Christmas carol?". My answer was easy...Muppets 12 days of Christmas ! I love when Ms. Piggy sings "5 gooooolden rings, da dum, dum, dum."
Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there - John Wooden
Frequent Contributor
Aunt_Beth_64
0 Kudos

I found the Sesame Street story that appeared on CBS Evening News. The link to it is now posted in the Community Room thread.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 1,180 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: