Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

2010 Newbery Medal: which book will it be?

What are your favorite "nominations" for this year's Newbery?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Re: 2010 Newbery Medal: which book will it be?

I would really like the Newbery to go to a book kids really love and love to read.  I think Rick Riordan is due and since

The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series #5) 

came out this year it's totally eligible (and since Lloyd Alexander won the Medal for his series finale The High King (Chronicles of Prydain Series #5) it's completely doable).  Other books I see kids really reading are

The Mysterious Benedict Society and The Prisoner's Dilemma (Mysterious Benedict Society Series #3) 

Sent (Missing Series #2)  

I don't see very many kids reading the last two winners,

The Higher Power of Lucky 

The Graveyard Book, and I think it's because those books really do push the evelope as far as subject matter.  They are very good books but I don't see kids really digging into those compared to   

Tale of Despereaux 

From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler  

The Westing Game  

Caddie Woodlawn  

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Many of the books you list, Melissa, won the Newbery previously.  The Graveyard Book, for example, won last year; Lucky, I think, the year before or so, Despereaux, and several others.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Here are a few books that are getting some Newbery "buzz" this year.  One of these might win--or not!  Maybe something else entirely.  What books would you "nominate"?

When You Reach Me 

Claudette Colvin 

(The Claudette Colvin book won the Nat'l Book Award).

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon 

Wild Things 

Tropical Secrets 

Love, Aubrey 

The Small Adventure of Popeye and Elvis 

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate 

A Season of Gifts 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm never really in the loop on this stuff until after the fact, so I actually use the Newbery and Caldecott winners and runners-up to guide my own reading.

I can't remember, does the ALA announce the leading nominees before Midwinter (kind of like the Oscars), or do they just announce everything at the conference?

edit: Apparently they don't. Well, all will be answered in less than 24 hours.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

I know that. I was using them as examples of Newbery winners that kids really love to read. Or don't feel like reading at all in some cases.

ConnieK wrote:

Many of the books you list, Melissa, won the Newbery previously.  The Graveyard Book, for example, won last year; Lucky, I think, the year before or so, Despereaux, and several others.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Melissa_W wrote:
I know that. I was using them as examples of Newbery winners that kids really love to read. Or don't feel like reading at all in some cases.

Oh, ok.  Gotcha.  Thanks!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]